Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just booked a quick visit to Perth from Southern California...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
So, my wife and I have been itching to get on the road in an airplane (versus all the fun travels we've had in our Model S the past two years (here are the summaries of those trips - 2015 (cross country US trip) and 2016 (to the Gigafactory trip via Vancouver, BC, Canada)). Just booked a trip to Perth arriving October 19 and departing October 24.

I know, have to burn some fossil fuels to get to Oz, but our Godsister just had her baby and we thought it would be awesome to visit.... Besides @ZTrekus trip to LA made us think in the interest of "fair trade" we should off-set his USD spend over here with us spending some AUD over there. ;)

Now, pretty sure I can't rent a Model X in Perth, but was wondering if anyone knows if I can rent an EV, (any EV, a Leaf would be fine, even an iMiEV) for our driving around Perth needs. I remember seeing on twitter that RAC WA has a CHAdeMO powered DCFC network in WA and I would be cool doing that... So, anyone have any suggestions? (I'm NOT planning on driving across Nullarbor, I'm only around for a few days and have to make it back for the start of the Lakers season.)

Oh, and we would love to hang out and talk EVs with any WA residents who may want to find a place to grab a drink and talk EVs! I wonder if @MDK is around... I enjoyed following his trip earlier this year. And I believe I owe a round of drinks per @PJF000 from the dinners that were planned when @MDK was Westbound on that trip.

Reactions: RichardMcN
So, my wife and I have been itching to get on the road in an airplane (versus all the fun travels we've had in our Model S the past two years (here are the summaries of those trips - 2015 (cross country US trip) and 2016 (to the Gigafactory trip via Vancouver, BC, Canada)). Just booked a trip to Perth arriving October 19 and departing October 24.

I know, have to burn some fossil fuels to get to Oz, but our Godsister just had her baby and we thought it would be awesome to visit.... Besides @ZTrekus trip to LA made us think in the interest of "fair trade" we should off-set his USD spend over here with us spending some AUD over there. ;)

Now, pretty sure I can't rent a Model X in Perth, but was wondering if anyone knows if I can rent an EV, (any EV, a Leaf would be fine, even an iMiEV) for our driving around Perth needs. I remember seeing on twitter that RAC WA has a CHAdeMO powered DCFC network in WA and I would be cool doing that... So, anyone have any suggestions? (I'm NOT planning on driving across Nullarbor, I'm only around for a few days and have to make it back for the start of the Lakers season.)

Oh, and we would love to hang out and talk EVs with any WA residents who may want to find a place to grab a drink and talk EVs! I wonder if @MDK is around... I enjoyed following his trip earlier this year. And I believe I owe a round of drinks per @PJF000 from the dinners that were planned when @MDK was Westbound on that trip.

Would be great to catch up, there's an ECOfest show in central Perth on Sunday the 23rd, if AEVA can get space there you can also meet a few of the WA electric car tragics.

Reactions: RichardMcN
That sounds like the sort of thing that we would enjoy...

That sounds like a great event. Is this the event - Spring Eco Fest?

That's the one, hopefully AEVA can get in there, plenty of foot traffic, normally we have on display a couple of Tesla's, a iMiev, BMW i3, an Outlander plus a stunning Red Madza sports car that's been converted to full electric.
Inbox me if there's any particular place you want to visit.

That's the one, hopefully AEVA can get in there, plenty of foot traffic, normally we have on display a couple of Tesla's, a iMiev, BMW i3, an Outlander plus a stunning Red Madza sports car that's been converted to full electric.
Let me know if AEVA does get there, I'd be interested to go if we have a bunch of EV folks there!

This is a casual trip and we're just bonding with family. I know we're planning on watching the Perth Wildcats on Friday night play in Perth Arena. Too bad Footy and Super Rugby seasons are done for the year.

I've been corresponding with some WA EV guys that I know via Twitter, and got the following from @antday (on Twitter)

Don't think I can embed Tweets here, so I did a screenshot...

CCWA Ecofest Tweet replies by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

So, I guess there will be some presence there? Any Tesla or other EV owners want to get together for a drink or meal on our quick trip to Perth? Apparently family will lend us an ICE for the time we're in town (you'll see me, I'm the guy driving on the "other side" of the road.) :p

Sorry I'll miss you, but I leave for Broome on 14th October to check out the newly installed AEVA electric highway to Broome (3p+n sockets) and install their signs at each location. Hope you have a great time in West Australia.

I also might be able to test v8 on the 5000kms round trip, if I get my update in time.

Awesome @MDK. Let's find a time and place. We're staying around Wembely Downs and will have access to a car. (An ICE, but am working on my godsiblings to EVs and Tesla in particular.)

We'll miss you @Techno-phile safe journeys... if you tweet or post about your 5000km trip, I'll probably read and follow that too.

It's been a great visit to Perth So far... and fun to meet up at both Odyssea and at the EcoFest today.

Glad to meet @MDK and Mr. and Mrs. @Blue heaven I'll post pictures later as well as AEVA members who don't have TMC accounts

Thanks for letting me sit in your P85D... first time I sat in a RHD Model S

image.jpg
Great to catch up yesterday.
image.jpg

It was great to spend time with fellow EV folks in Western Australia...

Lunch on Thursday:

IMG_3470 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_3472 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_3473 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_3474 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_3477 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

At the Eco-Fest on Sunday:

IMG_20161023_113026 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_20161023_113035 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_20161023_115724 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_20161023_115900 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG-20161023-WA006 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Glad to meet EVeryone!

I formalized this trip to Perth in an article on my blog that I just published this evening (LA time, morning Perth time).

Thanks to all that I met in Perth for making me feel welcome and a part of your EV community. Keep up the rEVolution, @MDK, @Blue heaven and many more from the AEVA WA chapter.

I was glad to see that the one dedicated EV Charging bay at the parking garage across Perth Arena was left alone for an EV to use. Furthermore, all the outlets for shared ICE/EV space in the same garage was impressive.

IMG_20161021_155225 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_20161021_155141 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

IMG_20161021_155142 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

You guys are doing great.