Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought 2013 Model S. What do I need to take care of??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all

I am very very proud owner of 2013 Model S with 20,000 miles...van last few # are 21,00-ish

From car fax, the first owner took it at tire shops for tire rotations two times.. Not sure if Tesla service shows up on car fax. I am planning to call service and see if Tesla will let me know if it as brought in. If not,

1. What should I have done? Manual says replace brake fluid every two treads buy eith low miles and regen, I think it is over kill. My LEAF is four years old and its fluid looks new. People with Volts have not done theirs for five years!!!

2. We're here any major issues with that model year .....if so, I can check it and have it checked out.

3. How long do tires last on S85?

4. Are folks keeping tire pressure at 45 psi or raising it few psi higher? Mine were nitrogen filled by dealer before I bought them....and charged me $$$....dang Audi dealer!!!!!!!!

5. Replace cabin filter??

If it helps, I am in Maryland.

Any and all help greatly appreciated..... I am not the 1% but financially smart to afford my dream car..but of course....it's like a scone mortgage so want to use money wisely .,

Sorry for few typos...iPhone and auto correction!!!

Any particular reason you don't want to just call Rockville and let them have at it?
It would still be under warranty, no?

Speaking of which, 21k vin and 20k miles? This baby needs to get out and be driven more. You considering coming to Williamsburg in May? Look under Events.

• Love
Reactions: Raza-Khan
Any particular reason you don't want to just call Rockville and let them have at it?
It would still be under warranty, no?

Speaking of which, 21k vin and 20k miles? This baby needs to get out and be driven more. You considering coming to Williamsburg in May? Look under Events.

I could take it to Rockville but that is a 40 miles away.... and they are out of technicians. I found out this morning that sunroof leaks from the driver's side and the next appointment they have is April 18th.... I am quite bummed about not being able to take car in early. More bummed as I do not have a garage!

Just found out this morning that sunroof from driver side leaks. Next available appointment with Tesla is April 18th.... and they told me to put cover the sunroof area with large garbage bag when it rains as I do not have a garage. Sorry but such delayed service is not what I was expecting :(

Just found out this morning that sunroof from driver side leaks. Next available appointment with Tesla is April 18th.... and they told me to put cover the sunroof area with large garbage bag when it rains as I do not have a garage. Sorry but such delayed service is not what I was expecting :(

Is there another service center, further away, that may have better availability to get you in sooner?

Is it possible that if you scheduled some additional work--either some kind of generic checkup for a used Tesla purchase, or perhaps one of the annual service visits--that the service center you called would be able to get you in sooner?

You definitely want to try to get this taken care of sooner rather than later, even if it means some additional expense or some additional driving on your part, as the last thing you want is to have your interior wind up damaged due to water leaking in.

Good luck!

Hello all

I am very very proud owner of 2013 Model S with 20,000 miles...van last few # are 21,00-ish

From car fax, the first owner took it at tire shops for tire rotations two times.. Not sure if Tesla service shows up on car fax. I am planning to call service and see if Tesla will let me know if it as brought in. If not,

1. What should I have done? Manual says replace brake fluid every two treads buy eith low miles and regen, I think it is over kill. My LEAF is four years old and its fluid looks new. People with Volts have not done theirs for five years!!!

2. We're here any major issues with that model year .....if so, I can check it and have it checked out.

3. How long do tires last on S85?

4. Are folks keeping tire pressure at 45 psi or raising it few psi higher? Mine were nitrogen filled by dealer before I bought them....and charged me $$$....dang Audi dealer!!!!!!!!

5. Replace cabin filter??

If it helps, I am in Maryland.

Any and all help greatly appreciated..... I am not the 1% but financially smart to afford my dream car..but of course....it's like a scone mortgage so want to use money wisely .,

I have an early 2013 Model S (VIN 5,785) and have had quite a few parts replaced with newer versions. I'm not sure when they switched to the newer versions of these parts, but major parts that I had replaced include all four door handles, the drive unit, and the HV battery contactor. The alignment from the factory was also pretty bad and despite a couple of tire rotations, the inside of the rear tires was worn down to the steel cords by 30,000 miles (I have the 19" wheels and stock tires). After having Tesla service replace the camber bolts and redo the alignment, I got 37,000 miles out of the next set of tires with relatively even wear (I just used the default pressure listed inside the door).

When you go in for service, I'd definitely ask them to check into the things I mentioned above. The lead-acid 12V batteries that run the electronics also need to be replaced more often than normal 12V automotive batteries.

You should also see if you can schedule the service for a day when they are likely to have a Model S loaner available. Despite numerous service visits in 2013, I absolutely love how the car drives and it's kind of painful to drive a conventional car now.

I have an early 2013 Model S (VIN 5,785) and have had quite a few parts replaced with newer versions. I'm not sure when they switched to the newer versions of these parts, but major parts that I had replaced include all four door handles, the drive unit, and the HV battery contactor. The alignment from the factory was also pretty bad and despite a couple of tire rotations, the inside of the rear tires was worn down to the steel cords by 30,000 miles (I have the 19" wheels and stock tires). After having Tesla service replace the camber bolts and redo the alignment, I got 37,000 miles out of the next set of tires with relatively even wear (I just used the default pressure listed inside the door).

When you go in for service, I'd definitely ask them to check into the things I mentioned above. The lead-acid 12V batteries that run the electronics also need to be replaced more often than normal 12V automotive batteries.

You should also see if you can schedule the service for a day when they are likely to have a Model S loaner available. Despite numerous service visits in 2013, I absolutely love how the car drives and it's kind of painful to drive a conventional car now.

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely do that. Much appreciated!

Is there another service center, further away, that may have better availability to get you in sooner?

Is it possible that if you scheduled some additional work--either some kind of generic checkup for a used Tesla purchase, or perhaps one of the annual service visits--that the service center you called would be able to get you in sooner?

You definitely want to try to get this taken care of sooner rather than later, even if it means some additional expense or some additional driving on your part, as the last thing you want is to have your interior wind up damaged due to water leaking in.

Good luck!

Luckily, due to a Fb friend, they have moved up the date to end of next week... I am just putting garbage bag over sunroof area for the days it rains here..... feel so bummed doing that but hopefully they will fix it soon

Reactions: Andyw2100