Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just bought 2014 model s 60 from used car dealer, owner's account still active with free charging,

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
owner's account still active shows 0.00 under recent charging, went to supercharger and was able to charge for free, is the owner the only one that can transfer it to me? will I lost the free charging if I delete his account from the car? should I try to contact him?

owner's account still active shows 0.00 under recent charging, went to supercharger and was able to charge for free, is the owner the only one that can transfer it to me? will I lost the free charging if I delete his account from the car? should I try to contact him?
Free Supercharging should stay with the car with the change in ownership. (Only cars that are sold back to Tesla have free Supercharging removed.) I sold my free Supercharging Model S to a friend and we transferred ownership and he still has the free Supercharging.
It's really best to reset the owner and claim the car with your own app login. The app has lots of useful information and control of the car. (You don't want to have to old owner controlling your car.)

I rarely even use my app. Not needed for most things.
Except for making service appointments, getting supercharging notifications, get Sentry Mode alarm events, etc. 🙂

@MiamiTezlaUber: The previous owner can transfer the car to you in the app. If you can't get them to do that, Tesla can do it for you. Since it's a 2014, free supercharging will transfer to you regardless of what happens to the account, so you should get this resolved.

Except for making service appointments, getting supercharging notifications, get Sentry Mode alarm events, etc. 🙂

@MiamiTezlaUber: The previous owner can transfer the car to you in the app. If you can't get them to do that, Tesla can do it for you. Since it's a 2014, free supercharging will transfer to you regardless of what happens to the account, so you should get this resolved.
Thank you!!!!

Free Supercharging should stay with the car with the change in ownership. (Only cars that are sold back to Tesla have free Supercharging removed.) I sold my free Supercharging Model S to a friend and we transferred ownership and he still has the free Supercharging.
It's really best to reset the owner and claim the car with your own app login. The app has lots of useful information and control of the car. (You don't want to have to old owner controlling your car.)
thank you !

The only way that Tesla can strip the supercharging from the car is if they legally have ownership.
Protect yourself with proof: Take pictures of all the option screens like the charging screen and the info screen. Create an account for yourself on the app, claim the car, and as soon as it is actually showing in your app, open the "specs and warranty" at the bottom and screenshot everything.

The supercharging SHOULD remain with the car, based on the age. The ONLY WAY that it wouldn't, is if it was TRADED TO TESLA and they took ownership before selling it on - ask the dealership for their history, which auction did it come from and who submitted it.... OR the previous owner's info for the app transfer if they will give you that. (they probably won't)