Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought a 2016 Model S 75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone!

I'm so happy that I can finally say that I'm getting a Tesla.

Originally, I had a deposit down on the new de-bundled Performance Model 3, but saner heads prevailed... aka my wife. We've got a 2 year old and have plans for more in the future so we decided to go for a used Model S for the space and rear facing seats when in a pinch.

I'm familiar with Tesla as my father owns a P3D and I've been lucky enough to have around 1,000 miles behind the wheel of it.

I'm not familiar with purchasing a used one and what to look for when I take delivery. Beyond the obvious body work, curbed wheels, and general wear and tear of the interior, I'm interested in finding out from the community what I should look for when it comes to battery degradation, current available range, etc.

I asked Tesla if they could provide me a service history on the vehicle so that I could see if any of the major components had been replaced already and they haven't provide that to me.

Delivery is in 2-3 weeks as the vehicle is being transported from San Diego to San Antonio. In San Antonio they will be going over the vehicle, detailing it, and doing all of the inspection work, which I presume means fixing anything they find that isn't up to their standards.

The specs of my incoming car are as follows:

Model S 75 - Build date 06/16 - 45,000 miles

Exterior
Solid White Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels

Interior
Black Next Generation Seats
Dark Ash Wood
Integrated Center Console
Black Alcantara Headliner

Options
Autopilot 1 with Convenience Features
Premium Upgrades Package
Standard Suspension
Rear Facing Seats

Thanks in advance, y'all!

You will not get a service history out of Tesla - at least many (myself included) have tried and failed before buying a used one.

Battery degradation is unlikely to be an issue, there's an initial modest drop and then in plateaus generally - my Jan 2015 charges to 2.5% less than spec as it has done from the day I took ownership in December 2016. Only charge to 90% ish, not max - but you'll see that advice everywhere.

Check door handle operation (the MS's biggest achilles other than FSD promises IMO). Check the present, operate easily, etc. Check window operation - small drop to open, close and return with good seal - all of these are adjustable but indicative of the prep care.

The rest is really common sense, but ...

I do not know the terms of the current used sales, check carefully what is covered and make as detailed as possible assessment upon receipt.

I'd take a look underneath for unreasonable scrapes or damage (especially as it is coming on a transporter). I'd make sure charging cable is present and undamaged.

Check displays center and driver for any issues (though they tend to be binary, working or not). Check roof operation and check for any signs of leaks.

I've seen some less than well prepared interiors, make sure it is reasonable (and don't be unreasonable, you bought used after 2.5 years use - it will not be showroom, but should be very good).

You need to check the sensors ASAP, and A/P you won't have a chance on delivery (unless you have a really nice driver) - so get that done ASAP to provide feedback if there are any issues. I've had loaners where the lane departure did not vibrate and where A/P dropped out often due to sensor issues.

That's my "off the top if my head list".

Welcome to the party (late or not), I hope it is all that you were hoping for - you'll see frustrated messages for me elsewhere about CS, but the MS is an awesome vehicle - good luck, and enjoy.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I've got all the faith in the world that I'm going to love this vehicle.

I've been researching and reading on it non-stop since putting the deposit down on Friday. It's going to be a long couple of weeks while I wait for delivery, but it is no where near as long as so many people had to wait for theirs.

Hi @LateToTheParty you're basically getting a copy of the S that we have. My build date was July 2016, delivery in August 2016. S75D (now 'uncorked' to 4.2s 0-60) awd. Except that you have the 'next gen' seats and I have the black textile cloth/leather, and you have the jump seats which I went without.

The car is amazing, and it's caused me to convert other friends and my parents to Teslas, my wife now has a 3 as well.

Happy to help with any questions, welcome to the future. Your 3 year old car is still better than anything else out there. :)