Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought a Model 3 Performance! Quick Question!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

I just picked up my brand new Model 3 Performance and I must say it is the best car I've ever owned. I'm already in love with the drive and how fast these cars are. This is my first ever EV and it has opened my eyes. I just have 1 questions regarding tints for this vehicle. I noticed the top moon roof glass is tinted towards the front of the vehicle but fades to clear towards the back. I am tinting the side windows on Monday and I am wondering what you guys do for the top section? I would like to make the top moon roof look only 1 shade of tint. Do I tint the whole thing in 1 shade or just the back section? I need some help.

Attachments

• IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    522.9 KB · Views: 100
Curious why you want to tint the roof glass. Exterior look or interior? The roof glass already has a UV/IR reflective coating in it (and why the roof glass when wet has cool "colored" water beads). If you want the interior to be darker and not sunny bright, might consider adding Tesla's Model 3 glass Roof sunshade. I have the same car as you white with black interior (mine's AWD only) and I installed the front roof sunshade for a darker cabin. The added darkness makes it easier on the eyes (less squinting) when it's really bright and sunny.

As for the back getting it tinted, be careful the installer doesn't cut into the rear defroster. There have been a number of people who have posted problems with wires melting and cracking the glass. Because the area was modified, there can be issues with warranty.

Also keep in mind that the car has auto dimming rear and side mirrors. One of the reasons the back panel of glass is more lightly tinted. If you add too dark of a tint, at night it can be hard to see other cars using the mirrors. Seen a number of posts about that. Much worse for people who are developing cataracts. Same can be said for tint on the side windows where you need to use the side mirrors at night.

Glad you are enjoying your car and moving to EV. You have a lot of company thinking it's the best car ever owned! That and "I'll never go back to an ICE".

Last edited:
you're gonna want to do a search on one-piece rear window ceramic tint in LA. You should have adequate options. $500-$1,000 for the entire car is realistic depending on film cost and shop rates. I'd call just to double-check they do (or have done) model 3's in one-piece on the rear window.

I'd recommend getting a tesla shade for the front moonroof instead of tinting it so that you can remove it during winter