TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Just bought a Model S and have insurance problems....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 1windy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. 1windy

1windy Member

My agent who is a great guy and good friend called ne today to say that my new Model S is on the allstate banned vehicle list. He doesn't understand it and says he is going to get more info tomorrow. My problem is that they are contractually obligated to honor the contract through to its policy expiration date of Oct. 1. They can then cancel and he said there is a good chance they will. WTF. I cant' and don't want to cancel due to losing the deposit, and now that I drove it I want it.

Has anyone ever heard this before? And what insurance companies do you guys use?

Thanks
    Rich

2. sfriedrich

sfriedrich Member

ameriprise.com/costco for us since Nov 2012.

3. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Haven't heard of it, maybe others have. USAA on our Model S' since 2012.

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

State Farm here for the Model S - no problems. Rates comparable to what I was paying on previous BMW and Audi vehicles.

Mike

5. gmo43

gmo43 Member

I called my agent and they gave me a quote. It was somewhere around 700 for 6mo. So thats weird, unless its only in you state.

6. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

I was an Allstate customer for 30 years. I asked GEICO for a quote on the Tesla and it was 60% lower than the Allstate quote. I could still get Allstate insurance and my agent called me up. He tried to get a competitive quote but couldn't, so I switched. I am in NorCal.

7. 1windy

1windy Member

Thanks for replies. I also have no tix,accidents or claims over ten years and 800+ credit scores. Just shaking my head. In 09 I left Geico for allstate due to a $3200 quote for an 09 S class. Allstate came in at 1600. Now Geico gave me a quote for 800 for a 6 month policy no problem.
    Guess I am going back to Geico.

8. DCWitt

DCWitt Member

I'm in Illinois with similar history and credit. Liberty Mutual is about $320 per year. I do have 4 other cars and house with them, but the price on the P85 is crazy low. Worth your time to check.

9. galangg

galangg Member

State Farm here. I haven't taken delivery yet, but no problems when I contacted State Farm to let them know I was getting the Model S.

10. 7racer

7racer Member

weird...I have the Roadster with Allstate.

11. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

I have Allstate as well, no problems. However it is about time for my bi-annual insurance comparison shopping.

12. megawhizz

megawhizz Member

Progressive, no problems and a great rate. The online quote did not work, but the chat agent was able to help.

13. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Progressive here. No problems signing up via their web page a year and a half ago, and have renewed 3 times since. This most recent renewal my rate actually went down slightly. Never have had any accidents, so it was the car not me.

14. strider

strider Active Member

I have Allstate in California and no problems. I'm insuring the Roadster and Model S w/ them. Must be a VA thing? But yeah it never hurts to shop around. I haven't in awhile. Hmmm....

15. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Don't forget the to ask for the 8% discount with Geico if you are a Birkshire Hathaway shareholder.

16. iadbound

iadbound Member

My agent indicated that Tesla quotes still get some odd responses from insurers. However, I'm with Travelers, and it is no problem. True, it's a bit more than seven year old car, but that's life.

I have asked my agent to check Chubb and other agreed value policy options just to see the difference.

17. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

when I got my MS (late 2012), I was with Allstate, but decided to use occasion to shop around insurance. It is correct that some insurance companies do not have online quote for MS and have to run past their underwriters to get a rate. But, I had no problem getting a quote from about a dozen companies. Allstate was not competitive. The last couple times I pressed them on rates, they suddenly "found" a way to give same coverage at significant reduction. This time, they couldn't find anything - despite fact I've been customer for almost half a century.

It seems like stupid customer service to me, but it appears that there's no reward for loyalty in insurance. Smartest thing to do is shop it around every few years (ALL your insurance, car, house, boat, motorcycle, umbrella…). I ultimately selected Erie Insurance. 40% savings across all of the policies.

Bad insurance quotes and/or insurers who won't cover are NOT reasons to cancel Tesla order… they are indicators that it is time to change insurance companies!

18. smsprague

smsprague Member

I have MetLife in Arizona - No problem getting it covered. Price was only slightly more than a 12 year old Mercedes C Class I got rid of.

19. lsnetman

lsnetman Member

Allstate in Miami. Quote for car coming next month is less than I'm paying now for a 2012 ML350. Around $650/6 months.

20. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

That's odd. I just signed an agreed value policy for my MS with Encompass, which is an Allstate company.