Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought a Model S and have insurance problems....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a $1M umbrella liability policy. My auto (State Farm) requires 100/300 for the umbrella to provide the additional coverage. It was cheaper that way than increasing limits on my auto policy. The Umbrella also covers liability on my Homeowners policy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
I normally shop around every 2 or so years. Its weird to me how uncompetitive companies get when your with them. I have had geico for the past year or so and when i added ghe model s rates went up like 300 bucks for 6 months. I switched to progressive and they only went up like 100 exact same coverage.

I normally shop around every 2 or so years. Its weird to me how uncompetitive companies get when your with them. I have had geico for the past year or so and when i added ghe model s rates went up like 300 bucks for 6 months. I switched to progressive and they only went up like 100 exact same coverage.
I had the opposite experience. After many years of being with Electric Insurance I decided to shop around to see if I could do better. The other companies and agents I contacted couldn't match them. In part that may be because I have house, umbrella, and auto policies with them and, if anything, they seem to give discounts to longtime customers. (They also give a discount for electric cars, although I assume that some other insurance companies do as well.)

USAA, which I have used for 25 years, has quoted me over 2000k a year for a P85D with 136,000 miles. Seems high.
Seems inline with most actually.

Its all about cost to repair, and time to repair. There's an under-insurance problem cropping up as people hit these cars but arent prepared for the extreme end of the bell curve of liability. 25/50k is fairly sufficient for most median-income drivers on the road, as MOST cars cost that much (for total loss purposes). But now you've got an incredibly fragile, hard to source parts for, "luxury" vehicle getting tapped in a parking lot for 20K worth of replacement damage. Insurance companies don't want anything to do with this car, and the fact that only SPECIAL shops can work on them makes it all even more shady from a "second opinion" standpoint.

Unless Tesla fixes its supply chain issue and the cost to repair comes down, insurance on the Model 3 will price most price conscious buyers out of the market.