Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought an X. My first Tesla. It'll be the family beater and we'll ignore it. Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thank you all for your thoughtful input. We're still waiting for delivery (June). I think at this point we'll probably:
-> skip wraps.
-> get a set of mats
-> I'll seriously consider pouches or fold-down tables that go on the back of the front seat. My (HS age) kids will absolutely be doing homework in the car. It's a nearly daily thing here.

I'm excited, but honestly also nervous. It's the FWDs. I don't like the attention they draw. I'm also nervous they're a source of non-durability. Can I really expect they'll just work for a decade? Still...we wanted an all-electric, we need something that seats 6 and has space for stuff, and the promise of eventual self-driving is awesome.

I'm in the same boat. Waiting for a June delivery and have twins (5yrs old). I both love and worry about the FWD but just hope the gods are nice to me on that one. I decided to get partial xpel wrap ($1000) but that covers full hood, bumper, lights and mirrors and partial fender. I think i will buy some over the counter 3M wrap stuff and wrap some of the inside "most used" areas. Floor mats are definitely a must.

I'm in the same boat. Waiting for a June delivery and have twins (5yrs old). I both love and worry about the FWD but just hope the gods are nice to me on that one. I decided to get partial xpel wrap ($1000) but that covers full hood, bumper, lights and mirrors and partial fender. I think i will buy some over the counter 3M wrap stuff and wrap some of the inside "most used" areas. Floor mats are definitely a must.

I also have five year old twins. Rule number one is turn on those child locks and teach them not to press the FWD buttons. Other than that you are going to love this thing. Getting kids in and out has been a game changer for my back.

I've been so happy and impressed with my late 2017 S 75D that I've decided to replace our ICE SUV with an X 100D due in June. Based on what I've applied to my S and what I've learned in the past several months owning it, here's what I'm planning on doing with/getting for the X:

1. +1 to the all-weather mats suggestions. I also have the 3D Maxpider Kagu for my S that I've been really happy with. I love its look, fit, and ease of maintenance. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they make those for the X (at least for the newer 7-seater config). It seems like the only choice I have is the ToughPRO one that I'll be getting from Amazon. Not a fan of the honeycomb pattern, but it's better than nothing.

2. Full body PPF treatment. My S had a full front (along with partial side rocker panels) STEK Dynoshield treatment with Ceramic Pro coating for the rest, but I wish I had gone for the full body for the PPF. It's the only decision that I've regretted so far for my S. The front part of the car takes the brunt of abuse in daily driving obviously, but in my case it still looks as good if not better than the day I picked the car up. Compare this with the few spots for the rest of the car that have incurred scratches and chips. I originally was a bit of a skeptic of the whole PPF thing but then I wanted some protection (which was the reason why I only went with the full front). After experiencing it in person, I'm a believer now. This time around, I will skip the paint coating as I think it's superfluous to the PPF treatment and also to save some money. Of course, as others have said, this comes down to how much you care about protecting/maintaining your exterior look. I'd also add another important consideration in that you shouldn't stretch yourself financially just for something like this.

3. MCU screen protector. I got that same one for my S and will be getting it for the X as well. It has not caused any problems in using the MCU and just gives a peace of mind that one of the more expensive interior parts of the car is protected.

4. Cubby drawer. This has made a huge difference for me in keeping things organized in my S and I find it easier for me to access than the other storage compartments. For my S, I got the drawer from RPMTesla, but their level of service has gotten significantly worse lately. This time around, I'm planning on ordering one made by a fellow TMC member called Norm.

5. Miscellaneous: I'll be getting "The Law" front license plate bracket just because it's a legal thing in WA. I'll also be getting the front windows tinted at 35% (just like my S) but more so for some additional privacy than heat reduction.

Lastly, I also have the trunk organizer, which does help a lot for groceries and stuff. I don't think I'll need two in my family, so I'll just transfer it to the X. I would also highly recommend getting a hand-held car vacuum, particularly if you have kids. I got this one from Amazon and have been really happy with it.

This is a material upgrade from the current family car - a 2003 MPV. And, while everyone's all enamored with the Tesla right now, I know how this will go. We're not going to wash it weekly. Probably not even monthly. It doesn't snow here, so no salt on the road, which helps. It's going to haul kids and their wet swim bags and their food and get parked in the sun and dust all day at meets and have scooters tossed in the back along with all the rest of our crap.

Given our history, we're likely to own it forever. We'll probably still be driving it daily 15 years from now. We went w/ the blue and all-black interior for this reason.

So, what should I plan to do to it when I get it? It'll never be a garage queen but if there are things that will make a material difference in longevity or ease of cleanup given how we're likely to mistreat it I'd be interested. Or, we can just do nothing, sigh at the first dent/scratch, and then not worry about it for the next 15 years and 150k miles. Thoughts?

All weather mats and a decent load area protector. Maybe a ceramic coating to protect the paint from all the dust and dirt if you are not going to clean it much. I wouldn't spend any more than that on it - you don't sound too OCD!

2. Full body PPF treatment. My S had a full front (along with partial side rocker panels) STEK Dynoshield treatment with Ceramic Pro coating for the rest, but I wish I had gone for the full body for the PPF. It's the only decision that I've regretted so far for my S. The front part of the car takes the brunt of abuse in daily driving obviously, but in my case it still looks as good if not better than the day I picked the car up. Compare this with the few spots for the rest of the car that have incurred scratches and chips. I originally was a bit of a skeptic of the whole PPF thing but then I wanted some protection (which was the reason why I only went with the full front). After experiencing it in person, I'm a believer now. This time around, I will skip the paint coating as I think it's superfluous to the PPF treatment and also to save some money. Of course, as others have said, this comes down to how much you care about protecting/maintaining your exterior look. I'd also add another important consideration in that you shouldn't stretch yourself financially just for something like this.

I'm glad someone finally said this I was about too. The full treatment PPF on a daily driver will save you down the road. Obviously if you trade often or are on a lease reconsider. I say save you because I for one am OCD a little, and two a well done paint job isn't cheap either. So cover it while its new and it will stay that way. My Raptor looks like the day I bought it and it gets way more abuse than the Tesla ever would.

Doing a ceramic job on a non PPF car will only go so far for protection. Weather sure, rocks... nope.

PPF has saved my bacon so many times with flying road debris.

+1 for all-weather mats. I also buy Heatshields for all my cars to keep the dashboards nice in the sun. (Don't let the wife/kids step on it though. Really shortens its useful life.)

I ran my last new car, my 2016 Volt, through a trusted detail shop. (Dave Thorpe in Campbell, Ca) He did a "new car paint correction", which as it came from GM it needed, and Opti-Coated it. Two years later, the Opti-Coat seems to be doing its job quite well. The paint still looks great with a minimal amount of care. Bird cr, er, "droppings" wipe right off. Didn't help the curb rash that three of the four wheels have picked up though...

When my Model 3 arrives, it will get the same treatment.

Paint Protection Film/Wrap is a good idea but ONLY if you care about the outward appearance. if you dont care about any of that (and that's perfectly fine) save your money. Wax and wash your car like normal and it'll still look decent after 10 years.

True, but OP stated that he isn't going to be washing and waxing it regularly. So without any protection at all, it's going to look pretty bad after 10+ years. Personally I think a full film wrap is way too expensive for a beater that you are not that bothered about. Ceramic coating is a reasonable compromise as it provides decent weather protection and makes the car much easier to clean - consider it equivalent to regular waxing over a 3-5 year period. With the money saved on film wrap you could probably get it professionally detailed twice a year for the life of the car, which would keep it looking great (or at the very least respectable). The OP doesn't seem overly precious about stone chips and the odd scratch. Again those can be addressed at low cost anyway if necessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Didn't help the curb rash that three of the four wheels have picked up though...

I use Alloy-gators to protect my wheel rims:-
IMG_7338.jpg

It's the FWDs. ... I'm also nervous they're a source of non-durability. Can I really expect they'll just work for a decade?
Doubtful. Given the number of folks who've had trouble w/the FWDs within the first say two months, the number of folks who had had drive units replaced (sometimes multiple times, the worst are 3 folks here on TMC who have had at least 7 replacements each) within the first few years of the Model S, the Model S door handle issues, Model S MCU issues, and Model X half-shaft replacements, sometimes multiple times (Acceleration Shudder) I have doubts about the FWD's long-term reliability and Tesla's parts validation and long term durability and reliability testing. I started automotive reliability and durability testing long ago and that thread is mostly crickets. o_O

I posted my thoughts on this relating the Model X doors at automotive reliability and durability testing long ago.

If you still have your X in a decade, my guess is that you'll need to take them in for some sort of FWD repair or adjustment (including issues with paint scuffing, leaks, or gaskets) at least a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if within that decade, you have at least several repair visits for a door not closing or opening reliably. And, if you're unlucky, you'll have an issue w/a door not closing, requiring a flatbed like Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts. That guy got pretty fed up: Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts.

You have seen the results of 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up during their 20 months of ownership, right? Look under "Maintenance & Repairs". And, do note the Model X is dead last at 10 Least Reliable Cars vs. middle of the bottom 10 the year before: 10 Least Reliable Cars.

I will be curious to hear how your vehicle does, over the years. Keep us in the loop.

Last edited:
Doubtful. Given the number of folks who've had trouble w/the FWDs within the first say two months, the number of folks who had had drive units replaced (sometimes multiple times, the worst are 3 folks here on TMC who have had at least 7 replacements each) within the first few years of the Model S, the Model S door handle issues and MCU issues, I have doubts about the FWD's long-term reliability and Tesla's parts validation and long term durability and reliability testing. I started automotive reliability and durability testing long ago and that thread is mostly crickets. o_O

I posted my thoughts on this relating the Model X doors at automotive reliability and durability testing long ago.

If you still have your X in a decade, my guess is that you'll need to take them in for some sort of FWD repair or adjustment (including issues with paint scuffing, leaks, or gaskets) at least a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if within that decade, you have at least several repair visits for a door not closing or opening reliably. And, if you're unlucky, you'll have an issue w/a door not closing, requiring a flatbed like Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts. That guy got pretty fed up: Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts.

You have seen the results of 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up during their 20 months of ownership, right? Look under "Maintenance & Repairs".

I will be very curious to hear how your vehicle does, over the years. Keep us in the loop.

As much as I love my Model X, I think this is the harsh reality of long term ownership. Personally, I wouldn't want to own a Model X out of warranty and the FWDs in particular are an expensive long term worry.

Reactions: cwerdna
@cwerdna, you make good points on the longevity and reliability of Tesla vehicles based on decades worth of experiences with ICE manufacturers/vehicles.

However, Tesla is a different manufacturer than all others that precede them, so those points may not be relevant here.

For example:
  • Tesla make continuous improvements to their vehicles each week and if you pick any part of the FWD, they are generally already on a revision greater than 5 just 2+ years into manufacturing. With that kind of rapid evolution, the vehicle improves at a rate never seen before in the auto industry. For example, a 2nd model-year Model-X would be equivalent to a 8th model year SUV from other manufacturers.
  • Tesla designers/engineers are on a completely different level from other manufacturers. Their designs are usually top-notch, but I admit they still fail due to unforeseen circumstances (and lack of experience). But the quick evolution in their DNA makes up for their lack of experience, and generally result in a great new product that will (IMO) redefine how other manufacturers work in the future.
  • The fundamentals of the vehicle (motor, suspension, battery, etc.) are fairly sound at this point and any issues tend to be annoyances that won't leave you stranded. These can usually be resolved before the end of the warranty period.
In the end, a Tesla X, S or 3 should be a solid vehicle that will out-last ICE vehicles, due to simplicity of drive train (no spark plugs, no oil changes, no exhaust, etc.) and the fact that the most vulnerable part of any vehicle (the bottom) is sealed against the harsh environment. Not to mention that the mostly aluminium body won't corrode.

It's still too soon to say for sure how accurate the above theory is, but 10 years from now I'm willing to bet that Tesla will have a reputation for having great longevity, far better than Volvo.

@cwerdna, you make good points on the longevity and reliability of Tesla vehicles based on decades worth of experiences with ICE manufacturers/vehicles.

However, Tesla is a different manufacturer than all others that precede them, so those points may not be relevant here.

For example:
  • Tesla make continuous improvements to their vehicles each week and if you pick any part of the FWD, they are generally already on a revision greater than 5 just 2+ years into manufacturing. With that kind of rapid evolution, the vehicle improves at a rate never seen before in the auto industry. For example, a 2nd model-year Model-X would be equivalent to a 8th model year SUV from other manufacturers.
  • Tesla designers/engineers are on a completely different level from other manufacturers. Their designs are usually top-notch, but I admit they still fail due to unforeseen circumstances (and lack of experience). But the quick evolution in their DNA makes up for their lack of experience, and generally result in a great new product that will (IMO) redefine how other manufacturers work in the future.
  • The fundamentals of the vehicle (motor, suspension, battery, etc.) are fairly sound at this point and any issues tend to be annoyances that won't leave you stranded. These can usually be resolved before the end of the warranty period.
In the end, a Tesla X, S or 3 should be a solid vehicle that will out-last ICE vehicles, due to simplicity of drive train (no spark plugs, no oil changes, no exhaust, etc.) and the fact that the most vulnerable part of any vehicle (the bottom) is sealed against the harsh environment. Not to mention that the mostly aluminium body won't corrode.

It's still too soon to say for sure how accurate the above theory is, but 10 years from now I'm willing to bet that Tesla will have a reputation for having great longevity, far better than Volvo.

Good points too, but those doors are so complicated and have so many parts that could fail in the long term. My 2018 build has been very good so far and the doors have been faultless, but I've only covered 3K miles so still early days yet. What I would say is that the overall build quality on my car is much better than the showroom model I first saw last summer (which was not great to be honest). I actually delayed ordering until I saw cars coming through the showroom that had acceptable build quality, which was around September.

I agree about the base drivetrain being pretty solid, but a 10+ year old battery and electronics I'm not so convinced about. But then again, running a modern ICE vehicle in this price bracket long term out of warranty can be very expensive too. What Tesla needs is an extended warranty programme similar to what Porsche have. For a fixed annual cost, this gives peace of mind for long term owners if something expensive should fail. Also helps older cars retain more value on the used market and encourages people to keep their cars longer.

Reactions: cwerdna
Good points too, but those doors are so complicated and have so many parts that could fail in the long term. My 2018 build has been very good so far and the doors have been faultless, but I've only covered 3K miles so still early days yet. What I would say is that the overall build quality on my car is much better than the showroom model I first saw last summer (which was not great to be honest). I actually delayed ordering until I saw cars coming through the showroom that had acceptable build quality, which was around September.

I agree about the base drivetrain being pretty solid, but a 10+ year old battery and electronics I'm not so convinced about. But then again, running a modern ICE vehicle in this price bracket long term out of warranty can be very expensive too. What Tesla needs is an extended warranty programme similar to what Porsche have. For a fixed annual cost, this gives peace of mind for long term owners if something expensive should fail. Also helps older cars retain more value on the used market and encourages people to keep their cars longer.
Something that never gets reported or talked about is this apparent drive from Tesla (and SpaceX) to build solid, reliable, long-lasting products. For example:
  • Tesla's goal to build their electric motors to handle 1+ million miles.
  • The extensive work on Tesla's Battery Management System (BMS) and predictions it will still be >90% after 10+ years
  • Mostly aluminum body, avoiding typical corrosion
  • re-usable rockets with no maintenance required for at least 10+ flights (until recently, no other organization has even considered it)
I think Tesla has a pretty good grasp (better than any other company) on battery degradation, and they know how to best prevent the biggest known killer to batteries (lithium plating). I fully expect my battery to be above 90% capacity in 10 years. I probably will replace my battery in 10 years, not because it's failed or due to severely reduced capacity, but rather because I will likely be able to upgrade to a lighter battery with greater range. But I expect to have the option to stick with my existing battery for quite some time.

It's in Tesla's best interest to build products that require little to no maintenance, assuming they don't want their service centers to be a profit center. Longevity is not something that is ever talked about, but it does feel like it's part of Tesla's DNA.

Something that never gets reported or talked about is this apparent drive from Tesla (and SpaceX) to build solid, reliable, long-lasting products. For example:
  • The extensive work on Tesla's Battery Management System (BMS) and predictions it will still be >90% after 10+ years
  • Mostly aluminum body, avoiding typical corrosion
  • re-usable rockets with no maintenance required for at least 10+ flights (until recently, no other organization has even considered it)
I think Tesla has a pretty good grasp (better than any other company) on battery degradation, and they know how to best prevent the biggest known killer to batteries (lithium plating). I fully expect my battery to be above 90% capacity in 10 years. I probably will replace my battery in 10 years, not because it's failed or due to severely reduced capacity, but rather because I will likely be able to upgrade to a lighter battery with greater range. But I expect to have the option to stick with my existing battery for quite some time.

It's in Tesla's best interest to build products that require little to no maintenance, assuming they don't want their service centers to be a profit center. Longevity is not something that is ever talked about, but it does feel like it's part of Tesla's DNA.

Makes you wonder why they didn’t simply go with conventional doors on the X, which for sure would last longer and require less maintenance! I admire the vision of longevity, but right now they need to focus on consistent build quality. The reliability record to date is actually very poor with numerous issues, some still unresolved or only partially resolved.

There is some great design in the Model X, but the FWDs are possibly the most complex solution to entering and exiting a car that I’ve ever seen! If longevity was a primary goal, they should never have got past the concept stage. They have been nothing but trouble since day 1 and I’m sure they will plague the car throughout its lifecycle. They are pretty cool though, lol!

What’s the betting that the next gen Model X has more simple doors?

Three things make my grandchildren love their grampy’s Model X Tesla. Or as they say, “The Tesla!” 1. G-force acceleration. 2. Just the idea that it runs on electricity. 3. The Doors. They clamor to sit in the front seat so they can open and close the doors from the center screen. Those falcon wing doors!

I fully expect my battery to be above 90% capacity in 10 years. I probably will replace my battery in 10 years, not because it's failed or due to severely reduced capacity

Ummm the "1 million miles" goal has been mentioned many times and some folks (including here on TMC) have totally misinterpreted it. The company is all about hype. There's 0 evidence to support they're close to meeting that goal yet w/any currently shipping or previously shipped drive unit.

As for battery degradation, I will give them that. Battery degradation appears to be pretty good on most Teslas and FAR better than any Leaf.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if your pack is replaced for some failure inside the pack or some other reason before the 10 year mark.
Sure, best interest yes. Talk is cheap. It's in Tesla's financial interest to ensure that warranty costs are kept as low as possible, yet the Model X scored dead last in reliability in CR.

As for "Longevity is not something that is ever talked about" sure it is.

As for your earlier post about continuous improvements, I can safely say all the major Japanese automakers do that and have been doing that for ages. Look up kaizen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteski
"Continuous improvements" can also indicate in some cases that the original design was flawed. If we stick with the FWDs and it's actually true what you said about all the parts being on a revision greater than 5 in less than 2 years, that's not necessarily a positive thing! It really just means that the revision 1 production parts were inadequate and needed fixing!

Genuine "continuous improvement" is when you make something better that was already functioning reasonably reliably to its original specification. I don't think FWDs fall into this category! Maybe something like the recent MCU upgrade is a more genuine example of improvement. The power upgrade to the 75D cars was also a major genuine improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic that Tesla strive to "improve" their cars on an ongoing continuous basis, but the reality check is that most of these "continuous improvements" are merely solving problems with the original parts to meet a reasonable level of performance. I think it's fair to say that early Model X builds required a lot of "continuous improvement" and most respected mainstream manufacturers would not have released the car at that stage of its development. 2 years later it's now looking much better, with many early issues resolved, but that "beta" approach to vehicle development is definitely not the way forward with their future products and certainly not if they want to compete directly with the likes of Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Porsche etc when their EVs are released in the next few years. At that point the market simply won't accept dubious build quality and reliability.

Sure, best interest yes. Talk is cheap. It's in Tesla's financial interest to ensure that warranty costs are kept as low as possible, yet the Model X scored dead last in reliability in CR.

But CR also lists Tesla as having the highest level of Customer Satisfaction, @ 98%.

Remember there is also no dealer network thus no obligation to keep their "dealers" happy. Entirely different model than any traditional manufacturer. I am reminded of that every time my wife's Prius ticks off another 5,000 miles. Again? <sigh> LOL

Reactions: reardencode