Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought an X. My first Tesla. It'll be the family beater and we'll ignore it. Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Film on the seat backs, ceramic overcoat on the paint.
The ceramic won't help with scratches or dings, but a rain shower or rinse will make it look as if you did wash it.

I'm the absolutely laziest mofo about washing, and my 4-yo S looks like new after it's rained on. (CQuartz Finest @ ~$700 for mine) It deepened the original pearl clear coat too.

Reactions: reardencode
Ummm the "1 million miles" goal has been mentioned many times and some folks (including here on TMC) have totally misinterpreted it. The company is all about hype. There's 0 evidence to support they're close to meeting that goal yet w/any currently shipping or previously shipped drive unit.

As for battery degradation, I will give them that. Battery degradation appears to be pretty good on most Teslas and FAR better than any Leaf.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if your pack is replaced for some failure inside the pack or some other reason before the 10 year mark.

Sure, best interest yes. Talk is cheap. It's in Tesla's financial interest to ensure that warranty costs are kept as low as possible, yet the Model X scored dead last in reliability in CR.

As for "Longevity is not something that is ever talked about" sure it is.

As for your earlier post about continuous improvements, I can safely say all the major Japanese automakers do that and have been doing that for ages. Look up kaizen.

Yeah, "kaizen" is the Japanese name for the statistical approach taught by American professor William Deming (who American manufacturers ignored for decades, so he went to Japan after WWII to teach his methodology). Its all about improving tolerances in building individual parts and never throwing any out-of-spec parts away, but rather using those failures to improve the process.

Not quite the same as what Tesla is doing. Tesla is more macro and kaizen is more micro.

"Continuous improvements" can also indicate in some cases that the original design was flawed. If we stick with the FWDs and it's actually true what you said about all the parts being on a revision greater than 5 in less than 2 years, that's not necessarily a positive thing! It really just means that the revision 1 production parts were inadequate and needed fixing!

Genuine "continuous improvement" is when you make something better that was already functioning reasonably reliably to its original specification. I don't think FWDs fall into this category! Maybe something like the recent MCU upgrade is a more genuine example of improvement. The power upgrade to the 75D cars was also a major genuine improvement.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic that Tesla strive to "improve" their cars on an ongoing continuous basis, but the reality check is that most of these "continuous improvements" are merely solving problems with the original parts to meet a reasonable level of performance. I think it's fair to say that early Model X builds required a lot of "continuous improvement" and most respected mainstream manufacturers would not have released the car at that stage of its development. 2 years later it's now looking much better, with many early issues resolved, but that "beta" approach to vehicle development is definitely not the way forward with their future products and certainly not if they want to compete directly with the likes of Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Porsche etc when their EVs are released in the next few years. At that point the market simply won't accept dubious build quality and reliability.

I disagree with your "revision of parts" interpretation. The design doesn't change, it's the implementation that gets improved. For example, if they design a hinge to open/close the FWD and they find that after 1000 openings, it starts to deform, so they increase the thickness of the hinge to strengthen it (or changing the material). It doesn't change the design, only the implementation.

The FWD haven't been redesigned, the implementation has been tweaked.

Also, the Model-X will always have FWD due to the fact that the whole vehicle is designed around those doors. You cannot put regular doors on a Model-X and still call it that. It would be a completely different vehicle. That's also why there will never be an option for regular doors on the Model-X - the whole vehicle would have to be redesigned.

It's true that Tesla released these vehicles earlier that maybe they should have. But being present at the time, they had no choice. The X was already delayed 2+ years and IMHO they didn't have a choice financially. They dragged it out as long as they could, but at some point they needed to release it.

Tesla's approach is to ensure that the hardware design is as good as it can be, then fix the rest of it after-the-fact with a software update. They don't always succeed with the hardware being bullet-proof, but they try to implement fast iterations to address those deficiencies.

The real big test is the release of the Model-Y later this year. If it has FWDs, then I would interpret that to mean Tesla has confidence in it's decision. If it doesn't, then it would almost be an admission of making a mistake with these doors.

Personally, the biggest thing I hate about these doors is the attention it gathers. If it didn't attract attention, I would be happier about them. Hopefully as time goes on, they'll attract less attention. Another mild annoyance of this design is the inability to use a roof rack storage system, but I've managed to work-around that limitation with various tow-related accessories and the Sea Sucker roof system.

I disagree with your "revision of parts" interpretation. The design doesn't change, it's the implementation that gets improved. For example, if they design a hinge to open/close the FWD and they find that after 1000 openings, it starts to deform, so they increase the thickness of the hinge to strengthen it (or changing the material). It doesn't change the design, only the implementation.

The FWD haven't been redesigned, the implementation has been tweaked.

If most of the parts are on revision 5 or above in less than 2 years, simply to perform reliably to the original specification, then that is poor design implementation. If I did that in F1 I'd be out of a job! I'm not surprised that they needed a lot of tweaking, but really this was a step too far for a feature that nobody was really crying out for. Had they designed the X with conventional doors not a single person would have criticised it for NOT having FWDs! But from a marketing perspective, they sure make a bold statement!

Also, the Model-X will always have FWD due to the fact that the whole vehicle is designed around those doors. You cannot put regular doors on a Model-X and still call it that. It would be a completely different vehicle. That's also why there will never be an option for regular doors on the Model-X - the whole vehicle would have to be redesigned.

I do realise that, I'm an automotive engineer. I was talking about the eventual replacement for the X. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone with the FWDs in hindsight, so will be interesting to see if they stick with them longer term beyond the current X lifecycle. I expect not unless they really want to thrash their service centres any more!

It's true that Tesla released these vehicles earlier that maybe they should have. But being present at the time, they had no choice. The X was already delayed 2+ years and IMHO they didn't have a choice financially. They dragged it out as long as they could, but at some point they needed to release it.

No argument there. I wonder how much of that delay was down to the FWD issues?

The real big test is the release of the Model-Y later this year. If it has FWDs, then I would interpret that to mean Tesla has confidence in it's decision. If it doesn't, then it would almost be an admission of making a mistake with these doors.

I really can't see the Model Y having FWDs at that pricepoint and production volume and from what Tesla have learned about their practicalities. I would be shocked to see them in actual fact! I think Model Y will be relatively conservative by comparison, which is not a bad thing.

I'm a huge Model X fanboy, but it certainly has a few potential issues regarding true longevity. I'll be more than happy to get through my 4 year finance term without any door issues. It's already booked in to have the passenger side FWD aligned properly (it sticks out slightly proud of the front door along the shut line - minor but annoying and it creates a line of dust along the shut line where the wind catches the leading edge). Otherwise my car appears to be built well and the quality of materials is much higher than most reviews seem to give it credit for. Drives like a dream too, an amazing car!

Reactions: vandacca
Theres a couple things i always recommend.

Due to the soft paint on tesla, i highly recommend a vinyl wrap and/or a ceramic coat. The ceramic coat i kinda consider the bare minimum. It helps with so much it almost pays for itself in time saved if nothing else, and it really helps while driving in rain.

Naturally you will probobly want all weather mats especially with kids, however i dont recommend the tesla brand, i much prefferred the evannex.com brand.

Seat covers might be on your list too, better to go with generic bucket seat ones then tesla fitted, the price difference is 40$ vs 1000$+

I know you said you dont plan on cleaning much, but it wouldnt hurt to keep a car vacuum in your trunk/frunk they plug into your cigarette lighter (theres one in the back also) and while were talking things that plug in, a tire pump and power bank arent bad things to keep around either.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mobius484
I guess my TMX is a beater too - even if I don't have any kids. It will be driven a lot. And I bought a car - not a garden ornament.

My TMX will be washed in a machine occasionally. Definately not often enough. Will never be hand washed by me - health issues won't allow. I have visited a Service Centre twice. Both times my car was cleaned. I don't know how Tesla do it. Machine or by hand?

Inside I have vacuumed twice in the 7 months I have owned the car.

I have however ordered a set of mud flaps for the front wheels. Lot's of mud where I live. And the floor mats from my old car fitted well enough. Might get Tesla made mats when these gets worn out.

if one can afford a $100k ish car, but cant afford wrap protection then something is wrong

If a $100 ish car will be destroyed without an additional big fork out it's something wrong with the car.

I guess my TMX is a beater too - even if I don't have any kids. It will be driven a lot. And I bought a car - not a garden ornament.

My TMX will be washed in a machine occasionally. Definately not often enough. Will never be hand washed by me - health issues won't allow. I have visited a Service Centre twice. Both times my car was cleaned. I don't know how Tesla do it. Machine or by hand?

Inside I have vacuumed twice in the 7 months I have owned the car.

I have however ordered a set of mud flaps for the front wheels. Lot's of mud where I live. And the floor mats from my old car fitted well enough. Might get Tesla made mats when these gets worn out.

If a $100 ish car will be destroyed without an additional big fork out it's something wrong with the car.

Ur missing the point of paint protection film and ceramic coating. They are to protect the car for longevity purposes and coating makes the car easier to wash as less pollutants adhere to the car.

Also recently got a MX75 as a family car. It hasn't needed a car wash yet and I know that the manual recommended hand washing, but I wanted to see if this is really what people need to do for the MXs. I've always just taken cars to an automatic car wash but maybe the MX paint is more delicate?

Ur missing the point of paint protection film and ceramic coating. They are to protect the car for longevity purposes and coating makes the car easier to wash as less pollutants adhere to the car.

Sure - if you are interested in extra work (or fun I guess many think) with your car. From my perspective driving into a car wash is not very difficult. Don't see how a coating would make it easier. And perhaps the car wash would remove the coat anyway?

Sure - if you are interested in extra work (or fun I guess many think) with your car. From my perspective driving into a car wash is not very difficult. Don't see how a coating would make it easier. And perhaps the car wash would remove the coat anyway?

If u coat, u would need less car washing. If u are using automatic car washing then its really not great for the paint of your car (i.e.scratches and swirls etc...)

But if u dont care about that then by all means, its ur car. I'm just saying there is reason car enthusiast choose PPF and coating.

I got my 2018 MX 75D fully wrapped in Xpel in NJ for $3k. Well worth it.

I have an OEM mindset and bought Tesla (weather tech) all weather mats. These are no good. Doesn’t clean well and the edges got out of shape in less than 6 months. I wish I can return these. After reading multiple posts on TMC about 3D Maxpider mats decided to give them a shot. These mats have better design and quality is very good. Easy to clean.

I highly recommend getting 3D Maxpider mats.

Our X is the family car. Taken a number of road trips it. 10 months in and almost 18K miles. Got a few nicks in front, some tar from construction, sap from tree's. Im in the "its a car" group.

Cathartic, as I find it, hand wash it weekly. Wash in the garage during winter. Shop vac the inside, etc.... It does clean up nice.

Love the $20 floor mats at SAMS club. Thick, soft, rubber with deep channels and ridges. Yeah, $20 for front and back seat mats :). Course now that winter has passed, back to carpet inside.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and mspohr
Wraps/coats are upfront costs, which save you tons of time and some cash in the long run.
Teslas use a soft paint, so it is slightly more prone to scratches etc.
20190329_174141.jpg
3M super deep matte black wrap, with ceramic coat ontop of that. The matte black shows dirt alot more than other colors, but the ceramic coat means i can just hose it off.

• Love
Reactions: srijey and P85_DA
Wraps/coats are upfront costs, which save you tons of time and some cash in the long run.
Teslas use a soft paint, so it is slightly more prone to scratches etc. View attachment 3993773M super deep matte black wrap, with ceramic coat ontop of that. The matte black shows dirt alot more than other colors, but the ceramic coat means i can just hose it off.
No doubt, the matte finish looks sexy! I've a concern. say, if there's a stone hit or a scratch on the bumper, will it not tear away the ceramic coat and the film and then you've to redo the entire body again? Another bonus question. Can I apply the 3M matte finish film on the wheels as well?

No doubt, the matte finish looks sexy! I've a concern. say, if there's a stone hit or a scratch on the bumper, will it not tear away the ceramic coat and the film and then you've to redo the entire body again? Another bonus question. Can I apply the 3M matte finish film on the wheels as well?

So most wraps are designed to be able to remove, so if you suffer damage to a specific place, you can usually just have that section replaced. you can wrap wheels, but theres way better options for wheels, you might want to ask your wrap guy what he would suggest.
Ive heard some people "plastidip" there wheels.