Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Bought Model S - Keyfob Barely Detecting When Inside Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month I purchased a brand new 2019 Tesla Model S Performance. Now, when I get into the car as a driver, half the time if the key is in my pocket it won't detect. So I used to just pull it out of my pocket and the car would start. But recently, even when the key is out of my pocket it's not always recognizing it, therefore the car won't start.

Has anyone had this happen on a new keyfob? Should I return the keyfob or try a new battery?

Last month I purchased a brand new 2019 Tesla Model S Performance. Now, when I get into the car as a driver, half the time if the key is in my pocket it won't detect. So I used to just pull it out of my pocket and the car would start. But recently, even when the key is out of my pocket it's not always recognizing it, therefore the car won't start.

Has anyone had this happen on a new keyfob? Should I return the keyfob or try a new battery?
try a new battery.

try a new battery.
First thing I'd try. Much easier than trying to contact the Service Center these days.
I believe the batteries only last about a year as replacing fob batteries used to be part of the annual service.
It's also possible that Tesla bought these in lots of thousands, or even tens of thousands, and the "new" batteries coming out of Fremont aren't so new anymore, and have reduced life spans.

For the issue when it is in your pocket, if it is near your phone, the phone will interfere, I believe its NFC frequency that causes interference. But for it not working out of your pocket, like others have said, likely a battery issue. Putting the key in your cup holder should allow it to detect even when it's out of battery as a short term workaround.