Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought new Model S Performance - What do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spidermats are great and match some of the interior black texture in the car. I wrapped mine about 2 wks ago..nice for peace of mind!! I'm going to tint the 2 front windows cuz it's really hot & sunny in fla these days (90's) Everything else I bought was from my own preferences, but the afore mentioned was need vs want stuff!!

Many thanks to all. PPF will be booked in as soon as I have a delivery date. Picking up from Heathrow just in case AdamHut is in the same place!

Yes I am very excited. The RS6 Performance is a very fast car, as is my Aston Vantage V12S. But the Tesla will destroy both of them and honestly it is time I grew up and stopped polluting so much (I will keep the Astom but it only does 3k miles per year).
Just for the record, following a succession of quick Italians and Germans I finally bought a P85D+. Just forget about the "...grew up..." part, even though the "...stopped polluting so much" part will have been true. The Tesla grin has lasted five years for me, including stints with S, 3, X every one of which astonished me in one respect or another. The Model 3 Performance, though, is my favorite one to date. As a former Aston driver myself (in Northampton actually, conveniently close to 'home' I cannot say I really miss it. I thought I would. Now I addicted to finding my car improving in some way almost every time I find a wifi connection.

Many thanks to all. PPF will be booked in as soon as I have a delivery date. Picking up from Heathrow just in case AdamHut is in the same place!

Yes I am very excited. The RS6 Performance is a very fast car, as is my Aston Vantage V12S. But the Tesla will destroy both of them and honestly it is time I grew up and stopped polluting so much (I will keep the Astom but it only does 3k miles per year).
Yep, Heathrow on the 11th

Afternoon all,

Having been looking to order a new Model S for a few months to replace my RS6, my exact spec appeared on the new inventory list. Quick phone call to check its history (it is actually on a ship arriving Friday, was worried it could be a showroom model) and I bought it.

Did not add FSD as for the UK we seem to be limited to parking, lane change and summon (not advanced) which is not such good value for nearly £6,000.

Couple of quick questions:

- What Phone wireless charger can I buy? The Topfit one seems to be recommended but on amazon it says 2017/2018 models only. Does it fit the new car?

- Do I bother with floor mats?

- Mine is black, interior is carbon and black/black. Do I get a PPF? Solid black is a **** to keep clean.

- Any other must order things before it gets here?

Many thanks!

I got the fitted impervious mats and put those in first thing. They catch a lot of sand and water, they are easy to clean. I don’t really miss the carpet, it’s nice that the sand, dirt, and grit aren’t chewing up factory carpeted mats. Anyway I’d get those if you drive in the wet or get in the car with dirty or sandy shoes.

My car is white with the black interior and the carbon fiber.

The other thing I bought was the Tesla flat repair kit, it comes with a goo container that puts goo into the tire to repair a flat. I don’t really plan to use it but it’s cheap insurance against being stuck on the side of the road without cell service. You can use the pump separately so on the occasion when the tire under inflation note pops up on the display, you can quickly put more air in a tire and not worry about trying to find a station with compressed air. It plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and has sufficiently long wiring that you can reach any tire. I’ve used it twice.

There are usb ports that can charge a phone or iPad, but they aren’t wireless. Still it’s no big deal for me to plug into a cord when I want to charge the phone. If it were me, I’d hold on the wireless option until you see that you need it. In our other cars we use Google Maps on the phone so it’s helpful to keep the phone charging on trips. The navigation system on the Tesla is great so Google Maps isn’t necessary.

I did get a plastic bin for the trunk, low enough that the removable carpeted cover still fits flush. In it I keep microfiber towels, windshield cleaner, alcohol based glass de-icer, and waterless car wash spray. That lets me clean the car on a trip. For my house I have two buckets, I have a grit screen for the bottom of one of them which decreased the chances of scratching.

One thing I did early was to get paint protection film applied to the hood and all leading surfaces. I got my first paint chip driving the car home from the delivery center. The next week I had the film applied and I’ve had no more chips in two years. It’s much more cost effective to get the leading edges wrapped than it is to get a full car wrap. The one I got includes the hood, the mirrors, the front, the headlights, etc. Mine self heals so there’s no worry with removing bugs from the front of the car and the mirrors. Any tiny scratches self heal.

I did buy an adapter for a 30A clothes drier outlet and a 30 foot 50A extension cable. That lets me charge pretty much anywhere there’s a compatible outlet. That extension cable is heavy, the cord is about as big around as a garden hose and it is very heavy. I only pack it when I know I’ll need it. Still it adds flexibility if you visit people who don’t have an available 50A outlet.

I can’t think of anything else. I added red accents to my car, just to give it a bit of zing beyond the factory look. I like that. It comes as bits of custom cut vinyl tape so it takes a little while to apply properly. Otherwise it stays put. I do like the look.

I did add the FSD to mine, but I did it when there was a sale on the upgrade a year or so ago. It includes new computer equipment some time in the future, so that was my main motivation. I don’t think FSD will be available in the foreseeable future so the days of climbing into the back seat and telling the car to take me home isn’t likely during the time I own the car. The smart summon is a gimmick. I don’t think the FSD package offers much, you’ll already have the newer computer system, so I’d happily forego that option.

You’ll love the car. I do. It’s the best car I’ve ever had, and I’ve had a bunch of them.

David

I bought Tuxmat floor mats and installed them a couple weeks back. I've got two young 'uns and couldn't abide the snowy boots on the rear seat floors, let alone my own. The Tuxmats seem pretty robust and cover almost every square inch of carpet in the car, including up the sides. They look great and so far so good - recommended!

Afternoon all,

Having been looking to order a new Model S for a few months to replace my RS6, my exact spec appeared on the new inventory list. Quick phone call to check its history (it is actually on a ship arriving Friday, was worried it could be a showroom model) and I bought it.

Did not add FSD as for the UK we seem to be limited to parking, lane change and summon (not advanced) which is not such good value for nearly £6,000.

Couple of quick questions:

- What Phone wireless charger can I buy? The Topfit one seems to be recommended but on amazon it says 2017/2018 models only. Does it fit the new car?

- Do I bother with floor mats?

- Mine is black, interior is carbon and black/black. Do I get a PPF? Solid black is a **** to keep clean.

- Any other must order things before it gets here?

Many thanks!

Change of underwear for any unsuspecting passengers.

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
The other thing I bought was the Tesla flat repair kit, it comes with a goo container that puts goo into the tire to repair a flat.

David

Can I just confirm it doesn't actually come with the repair kit? Another bit of Tesla quirkiness? Even an Audi A1 I bought for £25k two years ago came with a tube of goo....

Can I just confirm it doesn't actually come with the repair kit? Another bit of Tesla quirkiness? Even an Audi A1 I bought for £25k two years ago came with a tube of goo....

I cannot speak to what was included before or after I bought my kit. Mine came with the green goo. As I understand it, it is better not to use the goo unless one absolutely must. It makes a mess inside the tire and tire repair people hate dealing with it. Still if you are stranded in the boonies, no spare, no cell signal, and you need to get going, the goo is an option.