Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought new Model S Performance - What do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick one. I will have 3 weeks with the car and no charger at home. There is a brand new FREE* charger a mile from my house which has three cables on it: DC CCS 50KW, DC CHAdeMO 50KW and AC Type 2 43KW. It is helpfully tucked in the back corner of a dark car park, so likely no-one will ever use it.

My nearest supercharger is 40 miles away.

What is my best option to plug in there? My 30 minutes on google makes me think I need a £400 CHAdeMO adapter or does my S come with CCS charging capability via an included adapter, or do I have to buy an adapter? I think the Type 2 will only give me 16.5KW?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

* I think free for a little while as it is brand new!

Last edited:
Quick one. I will have 3 weeks with the car and no charger at home. There is a brand new FREE* charger a mile from my house which has three cables on it: DC CCS 50KW, DC CHAdeMO 50KW and AC Type 2 43KW. It is helpfully tucked in the back corner of a dark car park, so likely no-one will ever use it.

My nearest supercharger is 40 miles away.

What is my best option to plug in there? My 30 minutes on google makes me think I need a £400 CHAdeMO adapter or does my S come with CCS charging capability via an included adapter, or do I have to buy an adapter? I think the Type 2 will only give me 16.5KW?

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

* I think free for a little while as it is brand new!
Hi I am quite sure if your car is a Raven you will get a type 2 CCS adaptor included.

Well... 1.45 hours wait so I was grumpy, not about waiting but more because the massive crowd of us (2) were just ignored!

Eventually got the car. Looks great, some issues:

- they forgot rear floor mats. So gave me a new complete set
- weird bit of plastic trapped between windscreen and roof. They took it away and sorted it
- paint on bonnet has some dust in it. Given it is a massive black slab you can see them. They have offered to repaint but I will see what my PPF guy says. May be easier for him to machine them away

So I left there after 3 hours 15 minutes...

They were all great guys in the end, despite me being Mr Grumpy.

Then I drove it. FAST. Regen takes some getting used to but now very happy. Done 150 miles now.

Just parked up at supercharger In pouring rain. Plugged in then went into the pub nearby for a drink (soft!). 5 minutes later “charging interrupted check power”. Ouch. Went back, all cars plugged in there have no lights on charger socket so I guess the Superchargers crapped out. Unplugged and replugged and now charging again. Killing my 40 minutes writing this.

thanks for all the advice/help!

Well... 1.45 hours wait so I was grumpy, not about waiting but more because the massive crowd of us (2) were just ignored!

Eventually got the car. Looks great, some issues:

- they forgot rear floor mats. So gave me a new complete set
- weird bit of plastic trapped between windscreen and roof. They took it away and sorted it
- paint on bonnet has some dust in it. Given it is a massive black slab you can see them. They have offered to repaint but I will see what my PPF guy says. May be easier for him to machine them away

So I left there after 3 hours 15 minutes...

They were all great guys in the end, despite me being Mr Grumpy.

Then I drove it. FAST. Regen takes some getting used to but now very happy. Done 150 miles now.

Just parked up at supercharger In pouring rain. Plugged in then went into the pub nearby for a drink (soft!). 5 minutes later “charging interrupted check power”. Ouch. Went back, all cars plugged in there have no lights on charger socket so I guess the Superchargers crapped out. Unplugged and replugged and now charging again. Killing my 40 minutes writing this.

thanks for all the advice/help!
Pics of the car or it didnt happen....

CC788197-0A1A-4B95-AB4F-330F4B7B8EE6.png