Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just checked Model 3 still not in Ontario eligible EV rebate list.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 still isn't certified to be sold in Canada.

I'm in agreement with Tony - really, until the car is actually sold in Canada (and Ontario for this case), what's the issue? Wait until there's at least some sign of sales on the horizon happening before you get up in arms over a car that 1) isn't being sold in Ontario and 2) hasn't really been announced for sale.

I'm more concerned for those who have bought a car and are waiting for up to 6 months for the rebate to be processed.

Problem is more likely that there won't be a rebate post election. Either the Conservatives win -- watched their debate last night and there's no doubt in my mind they'll repeal that and any other Green Energy plan initiatives as soon as they take power -- or the Liberals decide to scale down the rebate to only include cars that cost what the "average middle class family" can afford... which will most assuredly not be $70,000+ after tax for the pre-rebate Model 3s that will be available till SR non- Premium RWD models come out later next year.

The only hope now for those of us that wanted to use this rebate is that the Federal Canadian ZEV Policy due out early this year has some provisions in it to support EV sales. That being said-- the budget didn't really refer to anything EV related, and we're already in March so "early this year" seems to be a target that was missed.

10 more months of uncertainty ahead-- should be fun :)!

Problem is more likely that there won't be a rebate post election. Either the Conservatives win -- watched their debate last night and there's no doubt in my mind they'll repeal that and any other Green Energy plan initiatives as soon as they take power -- or the Liberals decide to scale down the rebate to only include cars that cost what the "average middle class family" can afford... which will most assuredly not be $70,000+ after tax for the pre-rebate Model 3s that will be available till SR non- Premium RWD models come out later next year.

The only hope now for those of us that wanted to use this rebate is that the Federal Canadian ZEV Policy due out early this year has some provisions in it to support EV sales. That being said-- the budget didn't really refer to anything EV related, and we're already in March so "early this year" seems to be a target that was missed.

Frankly, after Squinty McGuinty and Wynne, a change is called for. I doubt even if Wynne does somehow survive that all the positives would last long after the election.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric

Frankly, after Squinty McGuinty and Wynne, a change is called for. I doubt even if Wynne does somehow survive that all the positives would last long after the election.

I am not that negative.

1stval, ppl sometimes use feet to vote, so PC will win pulls may not reflect the actual election. (Trump VS Ms. Clinton story).
2nd, if PC do win, for them to scape a program currently in place, takes time, quickest PC could do it is next year budget.
3rd. if Wynne stands, she will not suddenly change her attitude upon this as she actually raised rebate amount in 2015, and allow Tesla to be qualified.

I am not that negative.

1stval, ppl sometimes use feet to vote, so PC will win pulls may not reflect the actual election. (Trump VS Ms. Clinton story).
2nd, if PC do win, for them to scape a program currently in place, takes time, quickest PC could do it is next year budget.
3rd. if Wynne stands, she will not suddenly change her attitude upon this as she actually raised rebate amount in 2015, and allow Tesla to be qualified.

1st - I won't disagree about who will win the election, but a change is called for - period. I never actually stated the PCs would win.
2nd - That's fine. I'm not so sure that scrapping anything that supports the environment is good. The carbon tax, though might be scrapped in favour of something more business positive and may involve incentives as opposed to burdens. I've not heard anything specific to this, but it is a concern.
3rd - Yeah, okay. It's funny how in the last year Wynne has consistently made sure that Ontarians are aware of what "progress" they're making - it just so happens to be during a run up to an election (ironic, isn't it?). Frankly, either cutbacks will happen, promises broken or debt will continue to rise. The cutbacks won't necessarily be with green initiatives, but it will affect someone - students, programs to help the poor, more taxes. Couple that with the threats to Ontario businesses from south of the border and it's becoming a perfect storm.

4. In Model 3 forum, and other Tesla forums, ppl are talking about US tax break for particular maufature could not reach 200,000 vehicles, and Tesla would start move some of the capacity across the boarder (leave space in US for high margin ones) giving Canadian may risk to lose the rebate. finger crossed..

4. In Model 3 forum, and other Tesla forums, ppl are talking about US tax break for particular maufature could not reach 200,000 vehicles, and Tesla would start move some of the capacity across the boarder (leave space in US for high margin ones) giving Canadian may risk to lose the rebate. finger crossed..

That's highly speculative given Trump and his attempts to keep existing production there. It certainly won't do Tesla any positive spin in this climate for a few thousand sales at best. Do that, and Trump will just increase tariffs or apply penalties to Tesla that would be greater than the incentive.

That's highly speculative given Trump and his attempts to keep existing production there. It certainly won't do Tesla any positive spin in this climate for a few thousand sales at best. Do that, and Trump will just increase tariffs or apply penalties to Tesla that would be greater than the incentive.

Sorry I mean cars delivery ship to Canada not manufacturing ship to Canada

Yesterday I have got request to configure and order my Tesla Model 3. now that Ontario EV rebate is gone for Tesla and Tesla model 3 is still not shown on the list. I doubt if I go ahead and order it.

It's not _gone_ for Model 3. It's not been added for the Model 3. The Model 3 needs Canadian certification and then Tesla can apply to have the vehicle added.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Yesterday I have got request to configure and order my Tesla Model 3. now that Ontario EV rebate is gone for Tesla and Tesla model 3 is still not shown on the list. I doubt if I go ahead and order it.
I received the same email yesterday. Says I can have delivery of the car in 4 to 8 weeks. Looks like with taxes it might get pretty close to the 75000$ range. Kind of want to hold off til I see the model 3 listed on the Ontario website

Called the Ministry of Transportation yesterday and the sad part is that the Tesla Model S and X was taken off the list and the Model 3
has not been added:( The question is whether its going to be added or not is getting me a bit nervous. Last year I spoke to one of the sales people and he assured me that they will take care of the paper work for the government incentives. I guess that's not going to happen unless the Model 3 makes it on the list.