Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just collected Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Morning Guys,
I collected my mp3 yesterday. I have charged up overnight to 100% just this once,then I'll put it back to 90%. My question is why is it advertised as being capable of doing 329 miles ( I know that's not realistic). But my wife's MG5 long range says 250 and always charges to 250 displayed. Sorry if I may have misread something.
By the way absolutely love it.

Reactions: Bouba
Same reason as combustion engine cars are advertised as being capable of ‘75mpg’ but real world you’ll never get anything like that. Those figures are for absolutely perfect, ideal conditions. Same for the range display.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Most probably battery calibration, you might need to run it down to empty (well as close as you dare) and charge back up so the BMS can sort itself out. It should show close to the EPA range then (rather than the range they claim on the UK bit of the website)
It is better to allow the car to sleep at various states of charge, i.e 80/60/40/20, and then charge back to full, to allow the BMS to take readings at various states of charge, and then provide a range estimation at full.

As opposed to 100-0-100

Good Morning Guys,
I collected my mp3 yesterday. I have charged up overnight to 100% just this once,then I'll put it back to 90%. My question is why is it advertised as being capable of doing 329 miles ( I know that's not realistic). But my wife's MG5 long range says 250 and always charges to 250 displayed. Sorry if I may have misread something.
By the way absolutely love it.
Because a car has to be tested to a known standard, the outcome of that is used as the "advertised" range. Just like MPG on a car.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
In the UK and Europe Tesla are required to advertise their range using a test called WLTP, they get no choice about this. It's not a good test, gives far higher numbers than most will experience and is only really of value to compare cars tested to the same proceedure.

In the US the test is different, and more realistic, called the EPA range, Tesla choose to use that in the cars as it's generally more achievable.

So I would suggest your complaint is why does the UK and EU use this WLTP value, it's the same one that's overrated MPG on petrol cars for years.

In the UK and Europe Tesla are required to advertise their range using a test called WLTP, they get no choice about this. It's not a good test, gives far higher numbers than most will experience and is only really of value to compare cars tested to the same proceedure.

In the US the test is different, and more realistic, called the EPA range, Tesla choose to use that in the cars as it's generally more achievable.

So I would suggest your complaint is why does the UK and EU use this WLTP value, it's the same one that's overrated MPG on petrol cars for years.
This. Although 286 is still a little low. The lowest EPA rating for the M3P was 299 miles

I presume it's a used car? If so, then it may also be a touch of the calibration drift and cell balancing which can be addressed yourself. Almost invariably when people think they've a degradation issue its just this. They do lose a little range over time, but actual issues with the battery tend to be more catastrophic and pretty rare on nowadays

Reactions: SageBrush
This. Although 286 is still a little low. The lowest EPA rating for the M3P was 299 miles

I presume it's a used car? If so, then it may also be a touch of the calibration drift and cell balancing which can be addressed yourself. Almost invariably when people think they've a degradation issue its just this. They do lose a little range over time, but actual issues with the battery tend to be more catastrophic and pretty rare on nowadays

Hi Thanks, as I only got it yesterday would the battery not have been re-balanced by Tesla. That's who I bought it from, 2019 model. 28,000 miles.

The new/current M3P says it will do 329 miles. The older ones were less than that. None of them will do or possibly even show that range when charged to 100%, it’s one of the incessant questions asked on the FB group - “I charged to 100% and the range only said X”

it's the same one that's overrated MPG on petrol cars for years.
WLTP has only been around for a few years and is for the most part achievable with ICE. It was the old NEDC that was completely unrealistic.

WLTP for EVs isnt great, although some of the German cars do get close to the numbers in the real world which I don’t fully understand as Tesla get nowhere near them.

Depends on your driving habits and if it is very new then it will take a while to calibrate the battery. On the way back from France I left mine at a supercharger and it got to 530km and was still going at 3kw even though the battery had reached 100%. There’s probably a few more miles there but I wasn’t going to wait to find out.

Sometimes EV manufacturers include a top buffer for new vehicles, given that the packs tend to lose some of their gross capacity during the early use phase. Helping to cancel that out and keep things looking consistent for the customer. Consequently 100% later may display greater usable range.