Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just confirming: No EVSE credit or rebate in S. California (or fed)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have already received the $450 for my Fiat 500e. I am not sure why I would expect to apply multiple times for the same VIN? I will certainly apply for it once I get my Model 3 and will qualify for it regardless of any EVSE that I install or don't. In the past there has been a program specifically for EVSE and I don't think that one currently exists...

I have already received the $450 for my Fiat 500e. I am not sure why I would expect to apply multiple times for the same VIN? I will certainly apply for it once I get my Model 3 and will qualify for it regardless of any EVSE that I install or don't. In the past there has been a program specifically for EVSE and I don't think that one currently exists...

Because EVs are toys for rich people who want to install EVSEs at all of their homes.

It means that's when you sell a car, it is still eligible. Not the same owner.

The SCE credit is for each car/owner.

There is a $450 credit from SCE for owning an electric car. New or Used... can be claimed on the same VIN up to three times, if I remember correctly.

Just so you know, you can buy an EVSE for $400 or so - 40 amp 208/240v unit.

If you have a dryer plug you are not using, all you need to do is install some more cable and box and some conduit and voila - for maybe $500 including the cost of the new conduit and cable you have EVSE - it doesn't cost thousands no matter what Tesla and the government might be telling you.

If you have an existing 220v slot in your electrical panel you can easily move the power from one spot to another without involving government and inspectors - just do it safely, to code, with proper strain relief and proper gauge wiring.

Ot just use the supplied charger from Tesla and plug it into a 240v NEMA receptacle

If you have an existing 220v slot in your electrical panel you can easily move the power from one spot to another without involving government and inspectors - just do it safely, to code, with proper strain relief and proper gauge wiring.
Telling people to do electrical work with out permits and inspections is very irresponsible. People should follow the local building codes and get electrical work inspected as required. Failure to do so can allow insurance companies to attempt to shift liability to the homeowner in the case of fires.

Telling people to do electrical work with out permits and inspections is very irresponsible. People should follow the local building codes and get electrical work inspected as required. Failure to do so can allow insurance companies to attempt to shift liability to the homeowner in the case of fires.
You mean moving an outlet is irresponsible? You call a plumber to fix a faucet supply valve?

You believe that moving an outlet line from point A to point B in a garage, adding conduit for it, and moving the receptacle is unsafe?

Ok - So call an electrician. Just don't tell them its for an electric car because then a $100 job becomes a $700 job.

So if someone is competent to do this, you think they shouldn't do it? Or are you just a union electrician?
An inspection and a permit is not required to do what I suggested. . . .

• Disagree
Reactions: GWord
You mean moving an outlet is irresponsible? You call a plumber to fix a faucet supply valve?

You believe that moving an outlet line from point A to point B in a garage, adding conduit for it, and moving the receptacle is unsafe?

Ok - So call an electrician. Just don't tell them its for an electric car because then a $100 job becomes a $700 job.

So if someone is competent to do this, you think they shouldn't do it? Or are you just a union electrician?
An inspection and a permit is not required to do what I suggested. . . .
No, I mean exactly what I said - people need to follow local building codes and get permits and inspections as required. Some electrical work is acceptable for homeowners to do without permits and inspections, and some isn't. It all depends on the situation and local building codes. When you start moving or adding circuits in the electrical panel you get into territory that requires them. In many places you also need a permit and inspection to install or alter permanent wiring or put in an electrical outlet.

So it would be a very rare situation in which a homeowner could install an outlet or charger and not need a permit and inspection - again, all dependent on local codes. The insurance company won't care how easy the work was or how competent the homeowner is. If their home burns down and they determine that electrical work was done without a permit and inspection, then they can attempt to shift liability to the homeowner (even if the cause of the fire was determined to be completely unrelated).

And no, I'm not an electrician. I have no skin in this game other than not wanting to see people get shafted by their insurance company in an attempt to save a few bucks (or, worse case, put their themselves and their families at risk). As always, take any electrical advice with a grain of salt ;)

TLDR; Consult an electrician and don't cheap out when it comes to permits and inspections, even if you think the work is easy.