Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just do the math

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many have noted, when approaching a concrete block at the front of a parking space, the car will initially show it with a red line and indicate the distance. However, as you get closer, the camera sees over and past the block, and starts reporting the distance to an object beyond. But why? The object is still there. The car knows where it was and my approach speed. I can’t do the math, but the car can. Why doesn’t it correctly report its location and that I’m about to run into it? Of course, I would prefer a view from the front camera showing me what is right in front of me, and believe that Tesla missed an opportunity in this case. But at least it should report low obstacles accurately. Just do the math!

Reactions: APotatoGod
The distance that shows up on your screen is reported by the ultrasonics. The only reason it would stop showing the block in front of you and the next object up is that it can no longer sense it. It can't just keep reporting based on the math because in some scenarios that object might not be there anymore.

• Informative
When you, essentially, drive over an object it is likely to not be in the field of view of the sensor any more.
You can't really just keep remembering everything you saw once and use dead -reckoning on where it must be now.

What you are really asking for, and is a good idea, is to specifically have a parking curb sensor.
This would be one extra sensor that is aimed directly where a curb might be.
Maybe even an extra front camera for this

I don't want it to remember everything it ever "saw." I just want it to provide information about something it saw that is still 99.9% likely to still be in my path based on the distance I travelled in the last few seconds of time. Show it in a different color to indicate that it is not 100%, but if it is in my projected path based on the distance it was when it last really did see it and my speed forward, then show it to me. The great, great majority of the time, it will still be there.

This is why I prefer to back in. Higher clearance in the rear and less concern about going in to far. If I need to pull in forwards, I will engage the backup camera and stop just when I'm within the lines at the opening of the space, rather than try to pull forward as far as I can.

If the last thing it tells you is that you're 20" away why not just guesstimate another foot or so of travel and call it good? How finely are you trying to judge it when you're pulling into a parking spot? Are the parking spots you're using that small that you need every inch?