Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just driving for the sake of driving....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am a few weeks into ownership of my M3 LR AWD, after discussing the car with friends (many of whom are petrol heads and were dead against EVs) the one consistent thing I got from them was “it’s not a drivers car”, “why don’t you go for a C43/63 or M3 if your want a nice saloon that has a bit of power” - I really couldn’t disagree more with them after owning the car for a few weeks, I think it handles well (sure not as well as an M3 or C63 but well enough) but overall it’s just fun to drive!

I had to drive to the supermarket this afternoon to pick up some bits for my wife and son, and for the first time in a while I found myself just driving around for the sake of driving around (like I did in my Saxo VTR when I was 18) - a 5 min drive home took me 30 mins...perhaps it’s just the novelty of driving an electric car for the first time but it really is addictive! - does anyone else find themselves just driving for the sake of driving? - ps sorry for the long rambly post, just really enjoying the car :)

Oh yes definitely got my M3LR last week today and lots of little trips with friends and family. Guilt free and much lower cost to give spins in this than an equivalent ICE car! Also anyone under driving age will know this is their car in the future :)

This is one of the few cars I do that with. I like to go for a walk in the evening since working from home kicked in, to have a ‘break’ between work and personal time. I’ve found myself driving to a location about 10 mins away just because its so nice getting into the car without a key, driving off not worrying about a cold engine being inefficient or polluting or wasting petrol, then just quietly cruising on the 20 zones and booting it in the NSL zones.

There's a novelty aspect to it.
I'm fortunate to own a small hobby farm so I spend a lot of time on tractor or quadbike or 6ft mower - they all have their joys and foibles. When it comes to going shopping then i usually take the S but I also like to keep my aged '93 200SX running and clean so every week i pick that for a trip and there's the nostalgic joy of no bleeps or nags about seatbelts, no concerns about range , real heat in the winter (once it's actually warmed up), the pleasure of taking my foot off the go pedal and feeling it coasting along. OK it has a horrid turbo lag and got beaten off the lights by a Clio - But what the heck - it;s an old car and has it's own charms, no real vices unless you take liberties and in 27ys it's never left me at the roadside (even got me home when the big ends went)
Of course the S is a better car and when i first got it I took excuses to play with it but the same applies to most new toys....

I used to all the time, favourite roads and enjoy them.

But something about Covid and being knocked down to 4 day week (and 4 day pay though back to normal now), and lockdown has changed that. I'm not entirely sure why, but now I need a reason to go for a drive. Whether that's a flimsy one or not, I can't bring myself to just go for the sake of it.

I don't think it helps that the roads are back to busy, so most of the "fun" drives just don't happen as there's always masses of traffic.

I am a pleasant 5 minute walk from our local supermarket, prior to having the M3LR, I would walk to it almost everyday..... that stopped the day I took delivery, I still went almost every day, but the long way around ~3 miles, which includes a ~1 mile stretch on a sweeping dual carriageway. As soon as the LR went I was back to Shanks’s. 14 days until I’ll be taking the long way around 😁🥳

Reactions: Drew57 and yfwt
I am a pleasant 5 minute walk from our local supermarket, prior to having the M3LR, I would walk to it almost everyday..... that stopped the day I took delivery, I still went almost every day, but the long way around ~3 miles, which includes a ~1 mile stretch on a sweeping dual carriageway. As soon as the LR went I was back to Shanks’s. 14 days until I’ll be taking the long way around 😁🥳
It’s shinier and quicker. You may need to find an even longer route ;)