Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just dropped off my month-old 100D for a surprisingly open-ended service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially, I got told something akin to, "The end of your [factory] warranty is a long ways off," which was correct. It still is, but having a buffer would go a long ways to adding to my peace of mind. But I completely understand why they aren't chomping at the bit to give away a 4-year extended warranty.

Although, to be completely honest, I initially offered to split the cost of a 4-year extended warranty. No more.
updates?

That was me, a week ago. So naive.

My car is still down. Today is the 7th day. Just got a text saying they were ordering parts and they "anticipate arrival tomorrow."

Tomorrow will be my 42nd day in the service center. Out of 216 days of ownership.

In other words, Tesla has had my car for 19% of the days I have owned it.

I feel like they should be paying a fifth of my car payment.

Unbelievable! There are youtube videos by MX owners with various issues like yours. Maybe you might want to ask them to buyback your X, given all the issues - I think these cars will be a maintenance nightmare once they are out of warranty.

Reactions: 1 person
I doubt they would do a full refund (they should), but will probably refund based on mileage (maybe differs from state to state?). The OP has so much patience, it is ridiculous at this point the amount of time you are having to spend taking it to the SC, etc.
I believe OP said why he wasn't able to invoke the lemon law though. It was never in for the same issue 4 times, at least from what I recall. It always kept having different issues. If it was the same issue, I'm sure he'd be in a new car by now :p

Reactions: pdx3181
I'm baa-aack!

Reader's Digest for anyone interested:

Issue 1) I had an annoying deal with the FWD where, on admittedly rare occasion, when I attempted to open both FWDs simultaneously, neither would open fully. They would both half-open, indicate a blockage, and stop/beep. For the life of me, I could not recreate this when I attempted to do it - but it would occur about half the time in the real world. (Which was rare - as usually only one FWD needed to be open at a time.)

Issue 2) Both FWD are scraping the frame paint when closing. Allegedly this requires an adjustment of the rubber weatherstripping.

Issue 3) I had a failure of the latest software install. No TACC/EAP for the past week. I missed them!

As I pulled into the service center, I just knew issue 1 was going to go unaddressed. I couldn't recreate it when trying, and didn't document dates and times.

I opened one of the doors to remove personal items from the car - and the tech opened the other in response to my telling him the doors wouldn't open simultaneously 100% of the time. Luckily, the door he opened stopped half way up!

Boom, instant date and time for them.

Today marks my 45th date in service since I bought the car.

On the bright side, I didn't visit the service center at all in July . . . :rolleyes:

One more bright spot - I have never had to wash this car since I bought it. Always done at the SC.

Just read this entire thread. I can't imagine one vehicle having all these issues. pdc3181 you have the patience of Job.

Have all of these repairs been at the same SC? If so, maybe you should take a trip to Northern California and try some of the SCs down here. They seem to be able to fix things and they stay fixed.

Another alternative is to park the car across the street and attach a big plastic lemon to it (5 feet) in plain sight of everyone driving by. Someone in a old hometown did this with his car (Chrysler minivan) and he got a new car in 3 days.

Back into the shop today to address the paint needed to rectify the door closure issue. Additionally, Saturday I had two occasions where the airbag warning light came on in the driver's IC.

Hopefully that is a quick fix as well. Although it was down 7 days in March/April 2018 to replace the "pyrotechnic battery switch" (and other work) - which had also resulted in the airbag light coming on.

Today is my 47th service day since putting the vehicle into service in November 2017.

Back into the shop today to address the paint needed to rectify the door closure issue. Additionally, Saturday I had two occasions where the airbag warning light came on in the driver's IC.

Hopefully that is a quick fix as well. Although it was down 7 days in March/April 2018 to replace the "pyrotechnic battery switch" (and other work) - which had also resulted in the airbag light coming on.

Today is my 47th service day since putting the vehicle into service in November 2017.

God! If I was you, I would have the lemon law lawyers hired and contacting them ASAP

Picked the car up at 3 pm today, my 8th day in service this trip.

This makes a total of 55 service days. In 299 days of ownership. Or 18.4% of my total ownership time.

And this is my second trip in for the pyrotechnic battery disconnect switch being replaced.

I need three trips in for the same thing to qualify as a lemon under Oregon law.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm baa-aack!
One more bright spot - I have never had to wash this car since I bought it. Always done at the SC.

Ha ha .. same as me.
I didn't wash my (bought from new) MX100D car once in the the 12 months i've been owning/repairing it.
It's always done by the SC in it's many many visits.

Good luck with getting to the third visit for the pyrotechnic battery disconnect switch.