Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just dropped off my month-old 100D for a surprisingly open-ended service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good advice. But the only reason I don’t think it’s that is that the ONLY problem I have had since getting car back in early January has been the phantom door issue. Nothing else has reoccurred.

Not dispositive. But makes me believe it may be something else.

Got a text from the SC. They will have the car at least until Tuesday. That will be the 15th consecutive day it's been in the shop . . .

They think they have a "lead" on it, but can't say for sure.

While I appreciate that my last service appointment landed over the New Year's Eve holiday, I haven't owned this car for a single month where it hasn't been in the service center (overnight) for something wrong with it.

Got a text from the SC. They will have the car at least until Tuesday. That will be the 15th consecutive day it's been in the shop . . .

They think they have a "lead" on it, but can't say for sure.

While I appreciate that my last service appointment landed over the New Year's Eve holiday, I haven't owned this car for a single month where it hasn't been in the service center (overnight) for something wrong with it.

What does that mean 'they think they have a lead' ?? I would lose my sht if I were given an answer like that.
sorry to hear that this is still going on

Today is Day 17. Still no communication from Tesla about what is causing this. I am trying to toe the polite line as a customer and let them solve it (rather than being a jerk and having them force a solution that may not serve me in the long run).

I also don't want to elevate this through the Tesla site as I don't want to be seen as a problem child with the SC. (Additionally, I have a P90D to drive in the meantime.)

Thoughts?

Reactions: KyleDay
Well this went from weird to downright dumb. Just got a call from the SC. They don't have a solution to this. They told me to turn off auto-presenting doors "for a couple of months" and they would write a firmware update to address this issue on the narrow window of vehicles that have this issue. I asked how I would be notified that the update that fixes my auto-presenting door issue would be installed and he didn't have an answer. Apparently they expect me to download each new firmware update and test it out each time.

This isn't the SC's fault - they are only the messenger here - but I find this an inexcusable lapse by Tesla. Their solution to have me turn off a feature I paid for and then one day just figure out when to turn it back on is ridiculous.

I am going to try to elevate this via the website.

Reactions: KyleDay
Did they have an explanation for why it's happening? I assume that it isn't something simple like a faulty switch, but a software bug, instead.

Wild guess:
Sounds like the signal strength value they use to determine approach/ position acts different on these cars. Possibly due to a part or body change. So they need to add code to check the VIN number (build type) and then use a different set of criteria to trigger the auto presenting door feature.

Reactions: spectrum
Picked up the car tonight. Service receipt says this is the "only" car Tesla (nationally) has seen that has exhibited this behavior. Based on my car's December faults (noted above), which also required a firmware fix to resolve (which, honestly, I don't know if it's been done or not, but they haven't reoccurred) I am wondering if my car isn't unique in some capacity. All of the cars should be identical, same boards, same programming, etc. And yet Tesla is telling me everything wrong with my car is unique and has to be reprogrammed. This doesn't bode well for post-warranty issues.

I've owned my car 90 days so far, with 22 days in the shop.

Last edited:
Picked up the car tonight. Service receipt says this is the "only" car Tesla (nationally) has seen that has exhibited this behavior. Based on my car's December faults (noted above), which also required a firmware fix to resolve (which, honestly, I don't know if it's been done or not, but they haven't reoccurred) I am wondering if my car isn't unique in some capacity. All of the cars should be identical, same boards, same programming, etc. And yet Tesla is telling me everything wrong with my car is unique and has to be reprogrammed. This doesn't bode well for post-warranty issues.

I am exhausted just reading your saga, cant keep track of how many times you brought into service for the same reason and still No Joy...
Most state Lemon Laws state 30 days accumulative, or 4 service visits for same issue and still it resolved.

Historically, Tesla would agree to "buy back" such a vehicle to avoid a Lemon Law claim (can;t talk about how I know this), but who knows at this point.

My 2nd Model X, named her "Meyers" (prior one was "Eureka") and has been in the shop for over 30 days on one visit for an issue identified in week #3 post-delivery (6/17), still not resolved as the corporate engineers do not yet have a solution for my issue. They have another 4 months to find one, local SvC won't even allow me to schedule another service visit for this issue, mostly by not returning my phone calls.

An owner in my shoes has a unique perspective of owning a "premium" vehicle, serviced by the manufacturer, and not capable of obtainng a 2nd opinion by a 3rd party.

How lucky is Tesla that you have such tolerance... as mine is simply exhausted, more so after delivery of "Meyers"....

I am exhausted just reading your saga, cant keep track of how many times you brought into service for the same reason and still No Joy...
Most state Lemon Laws state 30 days accumulative, or 4 service visits for same issue and still it resolved.

Historically, Tesla would agree to "buy back" such a vehicle to avoid a Lemon Law claim (can;t talk about how I know this), but who knows at this point.

My 2nd Model X, named her "Meyers" (prior one was "Eureka") and has been in the shop for over 30 days on one visit for an issue identified in week #3 post-delivery (6/17), still not resolved as the corporate engineers do not yet have a solution for my issue. They have another 4 months to find one, local SvC won't even allow me to schedule another service visit for this issue, mostly by not returning my phone calls.

An owner in my shoes has a unique perspective of owning a "premium" vehicle, serviced by the manufacturer, and not capable of obtainng a 2nd opinion by a 3rd party.

How lucky is Tesla that you have such tolerance... as mine is simply exhausted, more so after delivery of "Meyers"....

Wow. Any chance Meyers is for Meyer lemon - Wikipedia

• Funny
Reactions: BLKMDL3

For an alternative perspective, you have to look at the car as a supercomputer rather than a traditional car. This introduces experiences that you have never been exposed to in a vehicle. So, your tolerance may differ. I was an Engineering Program Manager at HP for 17 years in their Enterprise Server division as a team member on R&D design teams. I shifted my perspective of my Tesla equivalent to expectations from a computer rather than a ICE vehicle. A majority of the time, firmware updates, reset/restart and at times SC system resets will solve the issues. With critical systems that would pose a safety hazard I am sure are handled differently than secondary systems that are more convenience based. I would treat the GPS/TACC/High beams errors solved with a reset and navigation map update. Of course, if it happens again, you will need to address with your SC as a recurring problem. The doors popping back open seems to be more complex of an issue. My interpretation is that they have identified the problem noting a future firmware fix will address. You will have to gauge with your personal tolerance expectations which can range from 0 tolerance, they need to buy my car back or lemon laws will be initiated, to I'll give them a chance to fix as described with the limitation leaving the auto present off until fixed. Since you have to live with the vehicle, choose your path within your tolerance levels. Sometimes it is better to approach computers as a go forward fix scenario addressing each issue independently.

Reactions: pdx3181
In general if one gets a loaner of equivalent (or close enough) trim, does it really matter how long your car is in the SC ? In fact if they have my car for 60 days, and let me drive a nice loaner i really wouldn't care at all.

Just wondering why anybody's car being in the SC is a huge mental stress? it is not like you left your kid in the hostel and you have been given a loaner kid and you are missing yours.

Reactions: bhzmark
In general if one gets a loaner of equivalent (or close enough) trim, does it really matter how long your car is in the SC ? In fact if they have my car for 60 days, and let me drive a nice loaner i really wouldn't care at all.

Just wondering why anybody's car being in the SC is a huge mental stress? it is not like you left your kid in the hostel and you have been given a loaner kid and you are missing yours.

For the most part I follow this logic. I'm not putting miles on my car and I get to try something slightly different, cool.

However, I once got a loaner that had so many rattles and the driver's seat squeaked any time you even breathed on it, it drove me absolutely insane. That and you lose access to the app.

For an alternative perspective, you have to look at the car as a supercomputer rather than a traditional car. This introduces experiences that you have never been exposed to in a vehicle. So, your tolerance may differ. I was an Engineering Program Manager at HP for 17 years in their Enterprise Server division as a team member on R&D design teams. I shifted my perspective of my Tesla equivalent to expectations from a computer rather than a ICE vehicle. A majority of the time, firmware updates, reset/restart and at times SC system resets will solve the issues. With critical systems that would pose a safety hazard I am sure are handled differently than secondary systems that are more convenience based. I would treat the GPS/TACC/High beams errors solved with a reset and navigation map update. Of course, if it happens again, you will need to address with your SC as a recurring problem. The doors popping back open seems to be more complex of an issue. My interpretation is that they have identified the problem noting a future firmware fix will address. You will have to gauge with your personal tolerance expectations which can range from 0 tolerance, they need to buy my car back or lemon laws will be initiated, to I'll give them a chance to fix as described with the limitation leaving the auto present off until fixed. Since you have to live with the vehicle, choose your path within your tolerance levels. Sometimes it is better to approach computers as a go forward fix scenario addressing each issue independently.

My issue is less that this requires a fix, and more that Tesla won't tell me when the firmware fix is issued. It doesn't function as I paid for it. OK - fix it. They say they will, but won't alert me when they believe they have issued a firmware fix for my (and only my, I may add) vehicle. In other words, with every new update that gets pushed to my car, I need to turn the auto-doors, shut it and walk away. And hope I don't come back to a parked car with the door open. And yet the next 1, 2, or 3 firmware updates may not ever be intended to fix my issue. Is it too much to ask to get an email saying, "Hey, pdx3181 - we included programming in firmware version xxxx.x.xx that we hope addresses your issue. Please let us know if you still have concerns."

The only mental stress was my dog. Out of respect for the SC, I didn't want to load up my golden (with white hair) into the loaner to take/pick-up from daycare. So it required my wife and I to change our day to day activities so she could manage that for the past 17 days. Certainly a first world problem, but a problem nonetheless.