Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just dropped off my month-old 100D for a surprisingly open-ended service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only mental stress was my dog. Out of respect for the SC, I didn't want to load up my golden (with white hair) into the loaner to take/pick-up from daycare. So it required my wife and I to change our day to day activities so she could manage that for the past 17 days. Certainly a first world problem, but a problem nonetheless.

Not only did my dog respectively make herself at home in my last loaner, I also cleaned out a 12x12 self storage unit with it. Treated the car every bit as well as I treat my own, but ensured my life continued undeterred. You should do the same.

Picked up the car tonight. Service receipt says this is the "only" car Tesla (nationally) has seen that has exhibited this behavior. Based on my car's December faults (noted above), which also required a firmware fix to resolve (which, honestly, I don't know if it's been done or not, but they haven't reoccurred) I am wondering if my car isn't unique in some capacity. All of the cars should be identical, same boards, same programming, etc. And yet Tesla is telling me everything wrong with my car is unique and has to be reprogrammed. This doesn't bode well for post-warranty issues.

I've owned my car 90 days so far, with 22 days in the shop.
It's not the only one Tesla has seen ..... & may not even be the only one that shop has seen. You get different 'stories' turning on who you talk to. BTW - we've has ours in the shop over 38 days in 10 months ..... with more to come .... once they get parts in. It's good to be the only game in town.

Even after dozens & dozens reported ghosting - 2 of the 3 closest SC's told me they'd never heard of ghosting. Similarly - as our rear camera would intermittently go black - (new wiring harness finally on order) for up to 10 minutes at a time .... you guessed it.
Our headliner started falling down after 6 weeks new. Never heard of it. Took 4 month to get a replacement in .... only thing was - when we came in to the SC .... they couldn't find our headliner. Seems they gave it away to another. I had to ask, "so - you never heard of headliners flopping down" ..... right.

I assume you have both reported this specific issue to Tesla

Yes! Waiting for replacement parts, but I actually think it’s an software issue. Something let the car think you left and are coming back towards the car even though you are actually leaving... But since it’s a warranty replacement I’m just going to wait for the (backordered) parts and have them replace what they think might be the issue.

Reactions: pdx3181
So I escalated this via the website February 22. I received an email Feb 23 saying she would look into it. That same day, she asked me to clarify which door I was having the issue with. I responded the same day. Se replied, again on Feb 23, noting that she was going to reach out to the "Regional and Diagnostics Team." She said she would reach out when she had further details. I didn't get a reply on the 24th or 25th (understandably). I also didn't get a reply on Monday, the 26th. On Tuesday the 27th, I sent an email noting I was, "just checking in." Today's the 28th - no reply. I find 5 days of radio silence a bit shocking on a matter I asked to escalate for executive review due to inadequate handling . . .

I feel as if Tesla owes their customers communication - even if they can't resolve the matter immediately. A simple, "I don't have an answer yet, but am still working on it," would go a long ways.

Last edited:
Do they seem hurried, harried, not in control?
Or is it individual lack of finesse?
Yeah, for anybody in biz dealing with sales service people
If you do not know, say:
"I do not know but I will find out."
Then find out,
and contact them.

Structurally, running a shop I would set aside 1/2 hour, 45 min
cool down where the people only do the callbacks.
Call/Email etc.
Even if the answer "is no answer yet". Everyone gets a call,
Finished, not finished, everyone gets a call.

Did you have any other questions?
Thanks for the chance to do biz
or Thanks for your patience.

A peculiar aspect of Tesla is the customer probably
knows more than you do.
Never bluff an answer. This is very important.

Again, Say, i dont know,
But I will find out.

Then find out.
Contact them.

People will not disrespect you for knowing less than they do,
especially Tesla people. Fanatical obsession is typical.
They get it.

It is certain they will respect and appreciate that
you did what you said you would do.

That is it really, any biz. But especially high end anything.

I'm hanging with you. Sorry it is not going better. Often, feelings about companies are only as good as your last interaction (and people are people).

Thanks for the sympathy.

This experience has been frustrating - perhaps irrationally so.

I came into this with both eyes open. I read the (few) horror stories here, knowing that it was possible I was going to be on the wrong end of the quality equation. But I knew the odds of getting a "lemon" were remarkably low.

I also believed that, in the end, Tesla would do everything possible to make it right if I had issues.

I don't feel like that anymore. And that's probably the most disappointing thing. I don't have faith in the brand.

Will this be fixed in a few months by firmware? Probably.

Do I feel valued as a Tesla customer? Nope.

Frankly, a "new" car brand can't afford to alienate its own customers. How many people/friends that ask me about the company/car/experience know anyone else that owns a Tesla? Very few. And it sucks that I can't answer the very frequent "Are you happy with it?" question affirmatively. My honest answer to that inquiry is destroying the Tesla brand in folks that are genuinely interested.

The worst part: this whole situation could have been solved with communication - a no cost item. And they can't even do that.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
It may have a cost, but it's a sunk cost.

They're at work, working on something already.

Yeah, and to get new information that person would need to stop working on that and then contact other people so not only is money spent on their time it may also be spent on engineers time and actually delay the resolution.

There is a no-cost option. They could have their CRS automatically send a "no new information" email every day for open cases. But does that really add any value or give you new information?

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and Troy
Thanks for the sympathy.

I came into this with both eyes open. I read the (few) horror stories here, knowing that it was possible I was going to be on the wrong end of the quality equation. But I knew the odds of getting a "lemon" were remarkably low.

I also believed that, in the end, Tesla would do everything possible to make it right if I had issues.

I don't feel like that anymore. And that's probably the most disappointing thing. I don't have faith in the brand.

Frankly, a "new" car brand can't afford to alienate its own customers. How many people/friends that ask me about the company/car/experience know anyone else that owns a Tesla? Very few. And it sucks that I can't answer the very frequent "Are you happy with it?" question affirmatively. My honest answer to that inquiry is destroying the Tesla brand in folks that are genuinely interested.

The worst part: this whole situation could have been solved with communication - a no cost item. And they can't even do that.

You are entitled to your feels regardless and need no validation/ defending of them.
There is nothing wrong with using the executive escalation option from My Tesla, they should be made aware of the problem.

And I fully agree, there is a huge difference between not getting a daily update, and not getting an update when someone specifically said that they would.

Thanks for the sympathy.

I feel for you, like I said a while back, when they gave you the hollow answer of 'we have a lead' I had a feeling this would go the wrong way.
Would have lost it on them. How can they make it right at this point? Time to play the lemon card?
Ugh

Yeah, and to get new information that person would need to stop working on that and then contact other people so not only is money spent on their time it may also be spent on engineers time and actually delay the resolution.

There is a no-cost option. They could have their CRS automatically send a "no new information" email every day for open cases. But does that really add any value or give you new information?

I am simply asking for the rep to follow up and do what she said she would do. In the first case, she said I would hear back. Undefined timeline. Days later, I hadn't heard back so I reached out again.

She then said, "I'll be back in touch this afternoon." She didn't get back in touch.

I am not demanding they fix my car today. I understand that will take time. However, I am demanding they tell me when it is fixed.

As a customer who spent $120K with them, I believe that's an acceptable expectation.

You seem to prefer I just roll with it and take what I can get. No thanks.