Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just dropped off my month-old 100D for a surprisingly open-ended service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove a short ways to drop my dog off, and only had one further speed limit indicator after that - the TACC showed a limit of 34/speed limit showed 30 on a stretch of street marked as 25. (It was funny to me that I could literally see the 25 mph speed sign out of my windshield while the dash was showing something else.)

Something to keep in mind is Portland just lowered the speed limit by 5 MPH on a bunch of roads, and I'm sure the speed limit database that Tesla is using hasn't been updated. So until AP2 reads speed limit signs things will be dicey in Portland.

• Helpful
Reactions: pdx3181
Something to keep in mind is Portland just lowered the speed limit by 5 MPH on a bunch of roads, and I'm sure the speed limit database that Tesla is using hasn't been updated. So until AP2 reads speed limit signs things will be dicey in Portland.

Fair point. And I appreciate the feedback. But I understood the limit to be reduced to 20 on residential streets only. I am not aware of other changes for non-residential streets.

Additionally, the speed limit was never 40 on the non-divided street/no center line marked street I live on.

Perhaps there is a disconnect between Tesla's database and Portland limits - but without question, the majority of issues I have been observing are completely detached from any changes in City Code (40 on my residential street, 25 on the freeway, etc.).

But again, I appreciate you pointing that out. Perhaps that does explain the 30 mph allowed in a 25 I saw this morning.

Fair point. And I appreciate the feedback. But I understood the limit to be reduced to 20 on residential streets only. I am not aware of other changes for non-residential streets.

Additionally, the speed limit was never 40 on the non-divided street/no center line marked street I live on.

Perhaps there is a disconnect between Tesla's database and Portland limits - but without question, the majority of issues I have been observing are completely detached from any changes in City Code (40 on my residential street, 25 on the freeway, etc.).

But again, I appreciate you pointing that out. Perhaps that does explain the 30 mph allowed in a 25 I saw this morning.
Almost feels like the km/mile conversion bug from last year where the speedometer would report the wrong speed if you crossed into Canada and then back again. It would continue to do the metric-imperial conversion once back in the states. Have you visited Canada recently?

Headed down near the 5 & 405 FWY's South OC just 10 days ago & iirc the speed limit is eirher 65 or 70mph. So i took a photo to show the the SC that the car thought it was a 45 zone.
:D
Far from the 1st time something like this happened in the last couple weeks. The SC looks at the pic & sez, "oh yea - that's cuz a software update is due. after the update, still the same. Baah - that's the least of our intermittent issues. No need to strain out the gnats & end up swallowing the camels. Big things 1st.

Headed down near the 5 & 405 FWY's South OC just 10 days ago & iirc the speed limit is eirher 65 or 70mph. So i took a photo to show the the SC that the car thought it was a 45 zone.
:D
Far from the 1st time something like this happened in the last couple weeks. The SC looks at the pic & sez, "oh yea - that's cuz a software update is due. after the update, still the same. Baah - that's the least of our intermittent issues. No need to strain out the gnats & end up swallowing the camels. Big things 1st.

Frankly, I am less concerned about the car thinking the speed limit is lower - because it will run at whatever I set it at.

I am more concerned about the inverse - where it's a 15 mph, and the car runs up to 40.

Cue the sad trombone -

My wife was driving the car at about 15 mph this morning, when it suddenly shuddered hard. Then the yellow "Rear Motor Disabled - Power Reduced" sign came up in the display.

Off to the SC. Again.

On the bright side, I am keeping my unbroken streak of calendar months with overnight stays at the SC alive. Purchased it in November, and it's been overnight at the SC in December, January, February, March, and now April.

Cue the sad trombone -

My wife was driving the car at about 15 mph this morning, when it suddenly shuddered hard. Then the yellow "Rear Motor Disabled - Power Reduced" sign came up in the display.

Off to the SC. Again.

On the bright side, I am keeping my unbroken streak of calendar months with overnight stays at the SC alive. Purchased it in November, and it's been overnight at the SC in December, January, February, March, and nor April.

This is absurd at this point.

Cue the sad trombone -

My wife was driving the car at about 15 mph this morning, when it suddenly shuddered hard. Then the yellow "Rear Motor Disabled - Power Reduced" sign came up in the display.......snip....
we keep the phone camera app ready at all times to take pictures of our various "you got problems" screen displays - & log the time(s) so the SC can no longer claim the ol', "we don't see anything in the logs" shenanigans.

Reactions: 1 person

I think the speed limit issue will be addressed eventually with the new map. I know the AP1 system could read signs and AP2 does not yet. But I don’t think sign reading will solve the problem. Issues like being next to a large truck when passing a sign, school zones with time ranges, or the speed limit signs on something like a uhaul.

It becomes more critical with FSD.

The data will need to be collected from lots of passes and possibly even human verification.

The data they have now is terrible. I’m speculating they haven’t touched it because it will be replaced.

I generally am dismissive of all the "my car is a lemon" posts I see after a few problems. However, if I had as many problems as you, @pdx3181, I would be demanding Tesla buy my car back under lemon laws. I cannot believe how many problems your car has had. You are to be commended for your patience.

I am effectively biding my time until I get the required 30 days of downtime to qualify as a lemon under Oregon law.

The funny thing is that I have two years to hit that limit.

I will do it in 5 months.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I am effectively biding my time until I get the required 30 days of downtime to qualify as a lemon under Oregon law.

The funny thing is that I have two years to hit that limit.

I will do it in 5 months.
Baah / amateur - we did 30+ days in just 4 months.
;)
But since the X is leased - & it's the daily driver of my better ½ ... & since she feels her time is more valuable than the lemon hassle ... & she's in love with the thing ... so far, she's willing to ride out the hassles for the remaining 24 months of the lease.
(sigh) we'll see if she keeps that view, now that she has to do the back & forth her self, instead of yours truly.

• Funny
Consumer Reports has rated Tesla tops for customer satisfaction, so it would seem that the vast majority of people aren't having significant problems (I had the infamous charge port problem at delivery, and a noisy wiper motor after a couple of months). I consider that pretty good. But it seems that the real problems all seem to gang up in a single car—that when they go wrong, they go really wrong. How does this happen?

Reactions: bhzmark
Consumer Reports has rated Tesla tops for customer satisfaction, so it would seem that the vast majority of people aren't having significant problems (I had the infamous charge port problem at delivery, and a noisy wiper motor after a couple of months). I consider that pretty good. But it seems that the real problems all seem to gang up in a single car—that when they go wrong, they go really wrong. How does this happen?

No idea - but my car is truly possessed.

Additionally, the auto-wipers in my loaner run great.

I don't have to hammer that silver button at the end of the wiper stalk to get them to clear the windshield.

My car is unique is so many ways . . .

Heard from the SC. My rear drive unit has failed. They have a replacement onsite and should be able to get that finished in a day or so.

I mentioned two other issues on drop-off as well - the driver profiles don't work (after my wife applies hers, when I get into the car and apply mine, about half the pre-programmed items (seat, mirror, steering wheel, etc.,) revert to my saved positions. The others are completely out of place and require a manual adjustment. Also, the Easy Entry settings are then erased and the car appear to adopt my wife's profile for them. I assume that's the case because now when I put the car in park, the driver's seat pushes forwards about 4 inches. Of course, I can reprogram everything, but certainly shouldn't have to.

I also mentioned my auto-wipers. They simply don't work. After driving the loaner home, I sent another email comparing the loaner vehicle's wiper operations to mine - the loaner's works as they should. Mine aren't aggressive enough, even in the high setting, to keep the windshield clear. As to this item, the SC replied that AP1 cars (the loaner) and AP2.5 cars (mine) have different hardware to support the auto-wipers - and that my wipers are working as designed, and their operation will be refined via firmware. A reasonable, yet not wholly acceptable explanation.

Heard from the SC. My rear drive unit has failed. They have a replacement onsite and should be able to get that finished in a day or so.

I mentioned two other issues on drop-off as well - the driver profiles don't work (after my wife applies hers, when I get into the car and apply mine, about half the pre-programmed items (seat, mirror, steering wheel, etc.,) revert to my saved positions. The others are completely out of place and require a manual adjustment. Also, the Easy Entry settings are then erased and the car appear to adopt my wife's profile for them. I assume that's the case because now when I put the car in park, the driver's seat pushes forwards about 4 inches. Of course, I can reprogram everything, but certainly shouldn't have to.

I also mentioned my auto-wipers. They simply don't work. After driving the loaner home, I sent another email comparing the loaner vehicle's wiper operations to mine - the loaner's works as they should. Mine aren't aggressive enough, even in the high setting, to keep the windshield clear. As to this item, the SC replied that AP1 cars (the loaner) and AP2.5 cars (mine) have different hardware to support the auto-wipers - and that my wipers are working as designed, and their operation will be refined via firmware. A reasonable, yet not wholly acceptable explanation.

This is crazy. None of this is acceptable. I hope that you are compensated with a new vehicle or full refund.

They already did that update on the Model 3 autowiper algorithm, I'm surprised as much as your car has been in the shop that you haven't gotten the X equivalent in a firmware update. Do you know if you have 2018.10.x or higher yet?

edit: apparently X autowipers got worse in 2018.10.4

Not for me. Auto Wipe now waits so long to initiate that I consider it completely inadequate. And when it does finally wipe, and the rain continues, it waits for too long to wipe again. This is the case for both settings.

Agree auto wipers went from pretty good to non functional with this update.

from Version 2018.10.4 teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/version-2018-10-4.110864/page-9

I can see why you'd be upset, but know that it's not just your Model X on this one.

Last edited: