Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just dropped off my month-old 100D for a surprisingly open-ended service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is my understanding (unofficially) that partial days count if the majority of the day is impacted. But it is my understanding that is has to be 30 days for ONE issue, or three attempts to fix the same issue. My gremlins keep moving.

Last edited:
Pretty bummed.

I've had the car just over a month.

I've had a series of pretty minor issues until yesterday.

The most significant was that I would park the car and the auto-presenting door would pop open again immediately. It wasn't the end of the world - it didn't happen often and once I learned it was happening (unfortunately, after I came back to a parked car with an open driver's door) I grew more accustomed to walking away from the auto-locking car while watching the driver's door. I would also check the car via the app once I was at my destination. It was always locked if I watched it stay closed while walking away.

Then yesterday, I got into my car and drove a few miles. I noticed that my auto high-beams never turned off. They stayed on high despite oncoming traffic.

I got to my destination and I looked at the Nav and saw that it was still showing me at home. Confused, I put the car in park, and then drive again, hoping it would restart. It didn't. I saw the red exclamation point in the top line of the display, touched it and got the warning, "Nav System needs service. Map is not loaded."

I reset the MCU and the instrument panel (including the "hard" reset with the brake pedal) and there was no change.

I drove the car a bit more, and parked a few more miles down the road. During this drive I also observed (perhaps hadn't seen it before) that the TACC and EAP symbols never came on.

I called Tesla and set up an appointment for today.

I got to work today before my appointment, and sure enough the front door popped open right after I shut it. In fairness, it hasn't done that for a while.

After getting a couple hours of work done I headed for the Tesla service center.

I arrived there and they asked what I needed.

I told them I had an appointment. They were a little surprised. They said they had a geofence set up around the SC that should have communicated my arrival to them. But it obviously didn't.

The tech was super-nice, and said he had actually been working with an engineer on my issues and had reset something in the car this morning. He said the Nav/Lights/EAP/TACC were all tied to that issue (and in fact, post re-set all were working).

But there's clearly something up as my car didn't communicate to the SC I had arrived.

I told him I'd wait in the waiting area - thinking they were well into a solution already - and he said "Let's get you into a loaner."

I explained I was headed to Seattle this weekend - and could swing back by later today to swap cars back. He asked when I would be back from Seattle. I told him Tuesday - and he said he would let me know if he needed the car longer than that . . .

Overall - thus far - it's been a great service experience. I am just bummed I have to have it.

On the bright side - the loaner came with the black interior I originally ordered before switching to a cream inventory car. I am so happy I got the cream!

definitely can see why ur bummed but overall it looks like u have some minor issues that the SC should be able to fix pretty quickly. the autopresenting door opening automatically is the big issue i see.

looks like they are giving u goid service so that's good.

• Funny
Reactions: Lasairfion
definitely can see why ur bummed but overall it looks like u have some minor issues that the SC should be able to fix pretty quickly. the autopresenting door opening automatically is the big issue i see.

looks like they are giving u goid service so that's good.

There's a lot of mileage between that Dec 29 post and yours. Don't waste your time - but trust me, it got worse. :p

There's a lot of mileage between that Dec 29 post and yours. Don't waste your time - but trust me, it got worse. :p
I actually read your entire thread. It was enlightening and also important to note these things in case they happen to me. It's obvious that this type of thing is in the minority, but your experience and others who have posted in the thread also make it clear that it still happens! That being said, I feel like I should be at least cautious and be prepared to document everything.

Thanks for taking the time to update your story. I appreciate it. I hope this all works out for you in the end, please keep us updated!

Reactions: pdx3181
Car should be buttoned up today with a 6-hour turnaround.

That was me, a week ago. So naive.

My car is still down. Today is the 7th day. Just got a text saying they were ordering parts and they "anticipate arrival tomorrow."

Tomorrow will be my 42nd day in the service center. Out of 216 days of ownership.

In other words, Tesla has had my car for 19% of the days I have owned it.

I feel like they should be paying a fifth of my car payment.

That was me, a week ago. So naive.

My car is still down. Today is the 7th day. Just got a text saying they were ordering parts and they "anticipate arrival tomorrow."

Tomorrow will be my 42nd day in the service center. Out of 216 days of ownership.

In other words, Tesla has had my car for 19% of the days I have owned it.

I feel like they should be paying a fifth of my car payment.

I dread seeing this thread pop to the top. Sorry to hear about your misery.
You should have a new car or a check in your pocket.

Reactions: pdx3181
Baah / amateur - we did 30+ days in just 4 months.
;)
But since the X is leased - & it's the daily driver of my better ½ ... & since she feels her time is more valuable than the lemon hassle ... & she's in love with the thing ... so far, she's willing to ride out the hassles for the remaining 24 months of the lease.
(sigh) we'll see if she keeps that view, now that she has to do the back & forth her self, instead of yours truly.

I have YOU beat. I have 30+ days in 3 months.

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
Update from the service center - expecting parts tomorrow, hoping to get car done Friday. If successful, that would turn this service center visit into a 10-day stay, bringing my total service center days to 44. That's just above 20% of my total days of ownership, for those of you (read: no one other than me) keeping track.

Update from the service center - expecting parts tomorrow, hoping to get car done Friday. If successful, that would turn this service center visit into a 10-day stay, bringing my total service center days to 44. That's just above 20% of my total days of ownership, for those of you (read: no one other than me) keeping track.
Did they have a good reason as to why they wouldn't extend your warranty? It seems like it's a cheap thing for them to do to keep a happy customer.

Did they have a good reason as to why they wouldn't extend your warranty? It seems like it's a cheap thing for them to do to keep a happy customer.

Initially, I got told something akin to, "The end of your [factory] warranty is a long ways off," which was correct. It still is, but having a buffer would go a long ways to adding to my peace of mind. But I completely understand why they aren't chomping at the bit to give away a 4-year extended warranty.

Although, to be completely honest, I initially offered to split the cost of a 4-year extended warranty. No more.

Oh man, this thread makes me feel queasy to say the least! I am due to pick up my new X75D by the end of the week in Portland OR and I am now more nervous than excited. Yes, please keep this thread alive with your updates as well as others. It is most helpful and appreciate it.

I wouldn't stress too much over it. This is like reading the news about the guy who's house set on fire and then he got run over by the fire truck and his wife ran off with the neighbour. Some people have seriously bad luck and those are the ones you read about! For example there was a guy with a new Porsche 911 who documented a whole catalogue of genuine issues and eventually got them to buy it back. It was a rare case for sure. I've had a few issues with other premium cars, some minor and some serious, but my Model X has been great for now.

Hey, I presume you picked up your new car by now. How did it go?

I have recommended an X to a friend who is about to pull the trigger on the purchase. Should I tell him to go with the S?

No regrets buying my X and would recommend this car to any friend. The S is great too, depends on what you are using it for. For our use the bigger interior of the X makes it even more family friendly. There are plenty of people on these forums who own both, so better to start a new thread to poll them on pros and cons of each.