Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just drove a loaner 2015 P85D (L?) today ..... OMG.........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lifetime average in my P85DL is 303 wh / mile which is 7 less than rated. Freeway trips at 5 mph above the speed limit range from 270 to 290 wh / mile, so I'm easily exceeding rated range on the freeway.

Wow 303 Wh / mile for a P85DL is impressive. My P85DL average is 350Wh / mile over 50,000 miles. Definitely Ludicrous lead foot + 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire penalty. IMHO higher Wh / mile consumption - higher SMILES per kW. :D

I'm lucky to get 300 Wh / mile when I swap in our 19" Michelin Primacy MXM tires for out of state road trips... but usually I'm in a hurry to get somewhere and found driving faster between Superchargers shortens total trip time which is a win IMHO.

• Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
My first test drive on an Insane P85D left me with a headache and nausea for about 4 hours. The second drive did the same thing for 30 minutes so I knew I was getting used it.

These days with Ludicrous, I don't even feel it. It feels like a normal car until I drive my Prius and press the pedal and nothing happens:rolleyes:

We have a Prius too that sits in the garage unwanted since we bought our P85DL. The Prius is SO frustrating to drive with its Quaalude acceleration, myriad of groans, whirs, clicks and LEAF BLOWER sounds, cramped cockpit (compared to Model S), and atrocious "floaty" handling. Small gymnastic wife loves it because it's smaller and less likely to accidentally damage. She scuffed one of our Arachnids against a curb the week after I got them... and loathes to drive it ever since unless she's visiting one of our kids where she can drive in the 91 Express Lanes for FREE and save 30+ minutes of driving each way.

We have a Prius too that sits in the garage unwanted since we bought our P85DL. The Prius is SO frustrating to drive with its Quaalude acceleration, myriad of groans, whirs, clicks and LEAF BLOWER sounds, cramped cockpit (compared to Model S), and atrocious "floaty" handling. Small gymnastic wife loves it because it's smaller and less likely to accidentally damage. She scuffed one of our Arachnids against a curb the week after I got them... and loathes to drive it ever since unless she's visiting one of our kids where she can drive in the 91 Express Lanes for FREE and save 30+ minutes of driving each way.

My wife prefers our Prius too for the same reason. In fact, the last time she drove the Tesla was about 4 months ago when she curbed the front left wheel because she didn't back into an end spot.

I get home and since I knew she'd driven the car, I did my usual walk around looking for damage including underneath paying special attention to make sure there's no curb rash under the front nose.

I see the scratch on the wheel and say WTF!!! to myself. I then go to Teslafi to see where the car has driven that day and parked. There was only one location where she parked on a left end spot with a curb and that was the Kohl's parking lot. Armed with the exact time, I went to the dashcam and pulled the video from that time and watched. I see her pull in front first and hear the crunch.

I then sent that snipped of video via a text and told her she curbed my wheel at 5:28:32 pm as she pulled into to park at Kohl's.

She replied "I hate this car!!!" :eek:

My wife prefers our Prius too for the same reason. In fact, the last time she drove the Tesla was about 4 months ago when she curbed the front left wheel because she didn't back into an end spot.

I get home and since I knew she'd driven the car, I did my usual walk around looking for damage including underneath paying special attention to make sure there's no curb rash under the front nose.

I see the scratch on the wheel and say WTF!!! to myself. I then go to Teslafi to see where the car has driven that day and parked. There was only one location where she parked on a left end spot with a curb and that was the Kohl's parking lot. Armed with the exact time, I went to the dashcam and pulled the video from that time and watched. I see her pull in front first and hear the crunch.

I then sent that snipped of video via a text and told her she curbed my wheel at 5:28:32 pm as she pulled into to park at Kohl's.

She replied "I hate this car!!!" :eek:

My awesome wife was in tears about Arachnid curbing. I laughed and told her it is no big deal since I'd curbed 2 of our Turbines and scraped the front bumper too. IT'S A CAR not a museum piece... and I can always get another Arachnid but will never find a replacement for her. :D

My awesome wife was in tears about Arachnid curbing. I laughed and told her it is no big deal since I'd curbed 2 of our Turbines and scraped the front bumper too. IT'S A CAR not a museum piece... and I can always get another Arachnid but will never find a replacement for her. :D

You're wrong. It IS a museum piece!:p

That tiny 1/2" scratch on that wheel is the only damage. No paint chips, dings, dents, or swirls(from bad washing) in 101K miles.

I have about 3K miles left before I replace the tires and will get the scratch fixed then but until then the scratch isn't just on the wheel, but it's floating around in my head constantly :(

I had a 2016 S 60/75 RWD that got 0-60 in 5.5s. Back in March 2019 Tesla had their end of quarter fire sale and I decided to trade for a 2018 P100DL inventory discounted car for $76k after tax incentives. About a $68k discount from the 2018 price or about $30k discount from current prices. I had never driven a P car before because I knew I would have to buy it.

I will never forget the first time I hit the accelerator after picking it up. If you're not ready, it punches so hard that it was uncomfortable and feels like your internal organs move in your body. My head hit the headrest so hard, over the multiple launches, I got a headache the next morning. That's when I knew I was in love.
I demonstrated a Ludicrous launch for my wife a couple months ago - and backed off at about 50 MPH. Her response was similar, that it felt like her organs were all pushed into her back.

Not at all but ludicrous added to a P85D is pointless. Won't add much if any performance. This is due to the fact that the 85 battery is limited to pulling much lower amps than a 2016.5 P90DL or P100DL. Same applies for 2015-2016 P90DL's. My P85D is as fast as any P85DL

Sorry but your statement above is inaccurate.

The P85D Ludicrous upgrade included these changes and parts:
  1. Added electronics with a tiny lithium battery and a pyro-actuated fuse to cut power under an overload condition with extreme precision
  2. Two new contactors using Inconel to increase the pack output to 1500 amps from the prior maximum level of 1300 amps
  3. Higher current high-voltage wiring
  4. Updated software to change Insane mode to Ludicrous mode
Ludicrous Mode Performance Improvements over a P85D
  • 0-60 mph improvement of 0.2 seconds (to 2.9 seconds)
  • Quarter mile improvement of 0.2 seconds
  • Estimated 10% increase in power
  • 0-155 mph time reduced by 20% (original notice, now unconfirmed)
The $5,000 Ludicrous upgrade to my P85D was well worth the significant performance upgrade... and the additional "smiles per mile". :D

Ludicrous Retrofit | TeslaTap

Tesla Reduces Price Of Model S P85D Ludicrous Upgrade

Tesla's New 'Ludicrous Mode' Makes the Model S a Supercar

1. Added electronics with a tiny lithium battery and a pyro-actuated fuse to cut power under an overload condition with extreme precision
  2. Two new contactors using Inconel to increase the pack output to 1500 amps from the prior maximum level of 1300 amps
The $5,000 Ludicrous upgrade to my P85D was well worth the significant performance upgrade... and the additional "smiles per mile". :D

Check the date on your information Tesla dropped the amps that's why there aren't any P85DL's on the dragy history with any substantial gains over a P85D FACTS
IMG_E2134.JPG

Not at all but ludicrous added to a P85D is pointless. Won't add much if any performance. This is due to the fact that the 85 battery is limited to pulling much lower amps than a 2016.5 P90DL or P100DL. Same applies for 2015-2016 P90DL's. My P85D is as fast as any P85DL

Flat out 100% Trump like falseness.

The Ludicrous upgraded raised current from 1350 to 1525 amps and power from 415KW to 458KW. It was a HUGE upgrade and dropped my 3.15 0-60 to 2.85. More importantly, it dropped 2.4 seconds off my 70-90 passing speed. This is all documented with my vbox and CANBUS logs.

The power increase and 0-60 improvement you're quoting is actually what Tesla speced but in reality it was slightly better than advertised. My 0-60 improved by 0.3 seconds. Although they advertised 1500 amps, it's really 1525 amps.

Flat out 100% Trump like falseness.

The Ludicrous upgraded raised current from 1350 to 1525 amps and power from 415KW to 458KW. It was a HUGE upgrade and dropped my 3.15 0-60 to 2.85. More importantly, it dropped 2.4 seconds off my 70-90 passing speed. This is all documented with my vbox and CANBUS logs.
Lets see it. I have video of 1.22 0-30mph and 3.25 0-60 mph not 1 ft roll out. Look at the numbers above the 0-30 mph both were worse and still broke 3 seconds 0-60mph