Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just finished a 3,044 mile road trip in my '16 MS 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But...
as a near future Tesla owner, am asking
did you notice any hotel-motel chains that always-often offered free supercharging to guests...?

There didn't seem to be that many hotels with destination chargers along I-10 thru the southwest. However on our previous trip to Virginia I found plenty of hotels with destination chargers.
Just need to check the PlugShare App.

Excellent post and I totally agree that this is a great cruising car!

I finished my third 1500 mile road trip in my 2016 S 90D end of May. I'll be doing two of these a year for probably as long as my 60,000 mile car lasts. I, too, usually set the AP in the hi 70s and then sit back and relax.

A Tesla S loaner in Florida taught me to set the AC on low during a heatwave. I have a solid roof on my silver car but the loaner had a glass roof and was black. It was hell before I realized why, when I picked it up, it was on low. Doing this in my car got the AC cranking again when I went through Savannah this last trip in extreme heat.

Also, I sleep in the back of the car, alongside the kitty condo, and it's fantastic. Only ran into one situation in RI where everything was closed around the supercharger due to covid, but was able to use the bathroom at an auto window replacement shop.

Charging is all over the place in my car, anywhere from 87 to 110kw. For instance, no matter how low my state of charge is, at the recently opened Orleans chargers I can never get above 87. So weird.

Anyway, happy road tripping, folks. It's great to see everyone out there.

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_123626554_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190415_123626554_HDR.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20190422_021232871.jpg
    IMG_20190422_021232871.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 58
Wow, at 90 mph that is spectacular, but I guess in hot weather you get the offset of lower air drag. I have averaged 330 Wh/mi over the life (so far) of my 2015 P85D and Tesla tell me that I "pay" for the P with some reduction in efficiency. At 90 mph (totally illegal here) I would be looking over 400 I think.
90mph is the max speed for TACC/Autopilot, and while you think that's what you're driving for a sustained period, with traffic, getting on/off interstates to get to chargers, that's not an overall average for a day. Nonetheless 322 Wh/mi for that trip in S90D is excellent. My lifetime Wh/mi in my S90D was 342.

On the recent crosscountry trip, compare to my Raven lifetime 308 Wh/mi:
May 30: Las Vegas to Eagle CO 653 miles. TACC to Beaver was set at 80mph, and after that to 85 or 90. Calculated distance/time speed while driving was 79mph, which shows the discrepancy between TACC settings and what actually happens. That leg had a net elevation gain of 4,000 feet and consumption was 330 Wh/mi.
June 4: Eagle, CO to Wichita, KS 654 miles. TACC was 5mph over speed limit in Colorado and 85mph in Kansas. Calculated distance/time speed while driving was 74mph. Consumption was 291 Wh/mi, favorable due to net elevation loss of 5,000 feet.
June 6: Wichita, KS to Osage Beach, MO 290 miles. This was all on the secondary route Hwy 54 and I needed to limit TACC to the 65mph speed limit in order to make it with no chargers on that route. Consumption was 288 Wh/mi.
June 8: Osage Beach, MO to Auburn, AL 740 miles. The first leg was 260 miles to Miner, MO, about half on secondary roads. TACC on the interstates was 75 or 80 but there was some heavy rain and also about 20 minutes of slow driving in and out of Birmingham. Calculated distance/time speed while driving was 68mph and consumption was 331 Wh/mi. Notice this is the same consumption as the Nevada to Colorado day averaging 11mph faster. The reason for the earlier day being more efficient is not hot weather (overall temperatures were not that different) but that the earlier day was in thinner air averaging around 6,000 feet.
June 9: Auburn, AL to Belleaire Bluffs, FL, 484 miles. The first leg was 180 miles of mostly secondary roads, the rest TACC on the interstates at 75 or 80, with some short bursts of heavy rain. Calculated distance/time speed while driving was 65mph and consumption was 318 Wh/mi.

Bodyhauler's trip was over 4,000 feet in all of New Mexico and part of Arizona, so had a similar assist in efficiency due to altitude. While in Colorado I took a 204 mile daytrip to Independence Pass at 12,000 feet. That averaged 250 Wh/mi, which was assisted by slower speed on mountain roads as well as the altitude.

One other note: My S90D had similar consumption at home as on road trips. The drivetrain efficiency improvements to the Raven are especially helpful in city driving. Consumption was 297 Wh/mi during the first 3 months of the Raven before taking any long trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindPass
When I was healthy enough to take long trips in 2016-2018, it was amazing to find superchargers
and destination chargers all along the way and in locations where I could rest, stretch, eat and
make a pit stop. The Tesla ownership experience is like no other provided by car companies.
P.S.
It is so refreshing to read so many POSITIVE comments from Tesla owners about their cars.
So many of these forums have become havens for Tesla Trolls, FUD masters and Whiners who nitpick about
Tesla. Does my 2015 Tesla Model S 70D have a few minor panel gaps?
Yes, but it starts every day, gets me from A to B and back with no problem and puts that Tesla
smile on my face every time I need a little juice to pass or avoid a situation.
With free supercharging, free 4G and an 8 year, unlimited miles battery pack, basic AP, what is there to
complain about. Love the car. Best I've ever owned.

I just drove to southern California and back for a total of 3044 miles in my 2016 MS 90D.
Here are dome highlights:

• MS drove like a dream. Just like a new car even with 87k miles on it.
• Average Wh/mi was 322. Not bad.
• Took the mountain passes with ease.
• Interior stayed cool even when the outside temperature reached 124°! (lot's of ICE cars on side of road)
• With Free Supercharging, the entire trip cost me nothing!
• Only 2-3 superchargers that were not very good or had no bathrooms available due to covid. But a truck stop was nearby.
• Impressed the relatives in California with Tesla rides!

Overall a very smooth trip.
Can't with for the next road trip.
View attachment 565946

Great road trip report! I did a 2000 mile road trip in my 2016 MS 70D recently, and, aside from occasional range anxiety (which would've been lessened in a 90D), the S did great.

Mountains, needing to quickly get out of the way of inattentive semis, etc., aren't as problematic when you're driving a car with few limitations. ;-)
IMG_20200517_065521.jpg

Awesome trip and story. Glad you had a great trip.

I'm waiting for an opportunity for a longer trip (I usually go cross country on my motorcycle), but I took another weekend trip to New Hampshire from Maryland this weekend in my S along with the pup this time. 500 miles each way, went up Saturday and came back Monday. Spent Sunday cruising around the lakes region. The S is a fantastic road trip car, and with the dog in tow, the charging stops and walk/potty stops lined up perfectly. It's amazing how much Autopilot/FSD removes the stress and exhaustion of driving, especially in the constantly-hectic 95 corridor. I feel like I could go 16 hours a day and still arrive refreshed because you aren't constantly making micro-adjustments and adapting to all the idiots around you. I can scan for issues while the car takes care of the easy stuff like speed and staying in the lane. Cool A/C even in 107 degree stop and go traffic in NYC, easy access to podcasts or Spotify. Charged at my host's home on their TT-30 RV plug so I left with a full charge. On the way back, I did a better job of spacing things, and made two quick stops at V3 chargers in Meriden, CT and Maple Shade, NJ. Ramped quickly to 201kW on my -E pack August 2019 build Raven (so no 250kW speeds like the newer -G/H packs), and the taper was nice and gradual. I'm constantly amazed at what a perfect car this is. I might buy another ICE sports car for fun around town (I do miss a throaty exhaust once in a while), and I plan to replace this with a plaid S when they come out, but for now, this is hands down the best road trip and all-around car in the world. It was such an easy choice to hit the road on a whim knowing it would be so easy.
IMG_20200720_132556.jpg
Screenshot_20200720-131205.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kayak1 and P85_DA
Ramped quickly to 201kW on my -E pack August 2019 build Raven (so no 250kW speeds like the newer -G/H packs)
Mine is also August 2019 build. There's an interim build period of Ravens that is supposed to get a software upgrade to 225kW for v3 charging. If your software is current, perhaps that means our cars are too old for that update. But the improvement would be marginal as charging speed would not be above 200kW for very long. Se the chart in my earlier post #30.

The rest of your comments about long distance travel I agree with 100% after my CA to FL drive. Range and charge speed on our cars make these trips essentially transparent vs. an ICE in terms of time, and of course it's more relaxing with the Autopilot features.

We drove across Florida last week to see the Mars rover launch at Kennedy Space Center. On the way we had a dinner stop which resulted in a full charge. A recent software update raised our displayed 100% rated range as 365 miles. It was 363 when the car was new and had drifted down to 352 during the last full charge in early June.

So I'm now curious whether we will get the bump to 225kW v3 charging speed.