Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a relatively new owner who is a regular here on tmc. Lately there has been so much controversy over autopilot and what the video and Elon promised it would be, that I went back to watch old videos for fun. I’ve discovered that this is not unique. I found videos on supercharging and the promise that it would be free forever, to summon “snaking” around your property to come find you. For those that have been owners since the start, I’d imagine you are desensitized to the lofty promises as I am getting now. I love the car, and would buy another, but I’m beginning to think, just like other tech, you buy for what it does today, and not what it will or will not do in the future.

I’m a relatively new owner who is a regular here on tmc. Lately there has been so much controversy over autopilot and what the video and Elon promised it would be, that I went back to watch old videos for fun. I’ve discovered that this is not unique. I found videos on supercharging and the promise that it would be free forever, to summon “snaking” around your property to come find you. For those that have been owners since the start, I’d imagine you are desensitized to the lofty promises as I am getting now. I love the car, and would buy another, but I’m beginning to think, just like other tech, you buy for what it does today, and not what it will or will not do in the future.
What are you complaining about (just for fun I read your post). For long after video made supercharging was for free for life. Mine is still free for life. Tesla gave adequate warning so nobody ordered their car not knowing of up coming change. You sound bitter having missed that benefit but you could have ordered and had that benefit but you didn't. Even after announced you could have ordered your car and had that benefit but you didn't. You sound childish to complain of that now

Summons was advertised to find you in the future. It's not a promised reneged on. Just as full autonomy is. Just as full supercharger network was advertised. look at the network now promise in progress of fruition.

Not complaining at all. I believe in the company and Elon, otherwise I would not own 2 Teslas. I'm merely stating the facts: promises and timelines missed cause people to complain and start talking lawsuits. I'm tolerant to technology and it's limitations and timelines since I work in the field, but I have friends and family who are not, and when they get their model 3 or S they may not be as tolerant after dropping multiple thousands on a feature that could be 3-6 months out for 2 years. I love my vehicles and will buy another after the next refresh, I just thought it would be fun to look back at all the things that were said and how long and if they ever came to be.

Reactions: Parebalo
What are you complaining about (just for fun I read your post). For long after video made supercharging was for free for life. Mine is still free for life. Tesla gave adequate warning so nobody ordered their car not knowing of up coming change. You sound bitter having missed that benefit but you could have ordered and had that benefit but you didn't. Even after announced you could have ordered your car and had that benefit but you didn't. You sound childish to complain of that now

Summons was advertised to find you in the future. It's not a promised reneged on. Just as full autonomy is. Just as full supercharger network was advertised. look at the network now promise in progress of fruition.
Don’t get people started. How about EAP by December 2016 as stated on the website at the time (but changed since)? How about FSD rollout in “maybe 3 but definitely 6 months” as stated by Elon in response to a customer who paid for it inquiring?

As for adequate warning on Supercharging ending, how about bullsh*t marketing tactics that baited people into buying the car earlier (or at all) just to put it right back on the table?

Tesla has created a fertile environment for complaining.

Not complaining at all. I believe in the company and Elon, otherwise I would not own 2 Teslas. I'm merely stating the facts: promises and timelines missed cause people to complain and start talking lawsuits. I'm tolerant to technology and it's limitations and timelines since I work in the field, but I have friends and family who are not, and when they get their model 3 or S they may not be as tolerant after dropping multiple thousands on a feature that could be 3-6 months out for 2 years. I love my vehicles and will buy another after the next refresh, I just thought it would be fun to look back at all the things that were said and how long and if they ever came to be.
Promise of life long supercharging met. NOBODY who bought car while this was policy had it taken away. Nobody ever promised lifelong free supercharging on model3 before reserving. Musk has always said that FSD availability depended on regulatory approval which would be years not months away. Also you don't mention price drops made by tesla. You would prefer everybody pay 2000 dollars (probably a years worth of driving (the original supercharger fee for the base modelS) to get probably 100 dollars worth of electricity a year ( what I suspect the average supercharger use is). Reality is that free supercharger use fee was calculated in the price of the car by breaking it out the cr is cheaper and those that use it pay for the amount it's used. I bet you love free public schools as well without realizing you pay for them with taxes

Okay, for fun why don't you also go back and list all the things Tesla accomplished, gave customers etc... that were unexpected? How you liking your free titanium undershield? Your free seatbelt bolt checking just in case more than one car had the problem, which apparently none did? How you liking the continued accelerated expansion of Supercharger Network and the never promised destination chargers that Tesla instigated? How are enjoying increased performance never promised or asked for and other features? I can go on all day if anyone needs me to.

Criticize if you must the shortcomings of Tesla and Elon Musk, but maybe try to acknowledge all that has been accomplished in the name of improving your and that of you children's futures on this planet when no one else would step up to the plate and put their butts, money, reputation on the line for you to openly criticize and others to try and tear down and destroy at every turn.

Near as I can tell it is and always will be forever free for me and the people who bought cars when lifetime supercharging was offered. He didn't say it would be free for every person who ever bought a Tesla forever....
That's not how I took it. If I watched that video I would believe it would be free forever for "anyone who buys a Tesla now and forever" much like that full self drive video it serves it's purpose at the time and not necessarily an indication of the near future.

Last edited:
I think Elon only has good intentions, and is a true visionary.

But he crashes hard into technical realities of what is or isn't possible in a given time frame.

In his brilliant mind, they are easy problems to solve.** But in reality? Not so much.

** Or are really hard problems, for which he has envisioned solutions in his mind.
Completely agree but keep the sales and marketing departments away from him. And maybe take his Twitter account away haha.

• Love
Reactions: fasteddie7
FSD while Tesla website stated it requires regulatory approval which is fine but Tesla doesn't have a product that work. So in a way, it's not the regulatory agencies prevent FSD but Tesla inability to bring a workable product to allow regulatory agencies approval. As for supercharging I believe no one is paying for SC fee? Since they gave retro free life time SC earlier this year and free SC with referral code. The new M3 owners which are all employees likely won't see a bill for SC either as pricing for M3 had not been announced. So in a way Tesla is still keeping their free SC promise for now

One issue may be that there is no one in Communications or Marketing looking at what is out there. As a new-to-be owner, I got the usual 'go look at our delivery videos' since my X is now in transit. I've looked at all of these months and months ago, but I said, what the heck, sure.

Almost every one of the Model X videos is out of date, since they were made for the original released six-seater X version. No five seater, no current seven seater, etc. So, many new owners aren't getting the correct training.

As is usual, a busy company doesn't have the staff to keep up with all the stuff that's online and keep it current or even take it down.

FSD while Tesla website stated it requires regulatory approval which is fine but Tesla doesn't have a product that work. So in a way, it's not the regulatory agencies prevent FSD but Tesla inability to bring a workable product to allow regulatory agencies approval. As for supercharging I believe no one is paying for SC fee? Since they gave retro free life time SC earlier this year and free SC with referral code. The new M3 owners which are all employees likely won't see a bill for SC either as pricing for M3 had not been announced. So in a way Tesla is still keeping their free SC promise for now
Supercharging will be fun when the 'real' 3 deliveries start in a month or two.... a lot of things that haven't been tied down will get interesting!

Reactions: fasteddie7
I still have free supercharging and am offered free supercharging on my next comparable Tesla. One major problem and will continue to be a problem are the owners that abuse the supercharging stations rather than charge at home and this is especially true in OC.
I agree. I live on the east coast and don't experience full superchargers after a trip to Disney, Tennessee, dc, Erie, and Cleveland I've never seen a full station, I rarely even see a vehicle at one. Model 3 might change this, but I definitely agree they are for travel and daily charges should be at home.

Supercharging will be fun when the 'real' 3 deliveries start in a month or two

I believe that's the reason why Tesla been keeping Model 3 SC cost a secret, because SC expansion especially in California can't even keep up with the current S/X. Tesla must charge more to discourage Model 3 from using SC or else there is no real benefit to free supercharging for S/X if you have to wait 1-2 hour to charge.