Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just found that my new Model 3 has been keyed. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had the car for a week now and have just discovered a key scratch on the right side passenger door. I did anticipate that this would happen with our types of cars; lots of jealous people around! Just wondering how many others have also had their cars keyed yet.
I insured with LV and I think they have vandalism cover but I don't know if it's worth fixing it only to find I have to do it all again soon. Anyone else had to fix their scratched car through their insurance and what is the process? I always have sentry mode on and I am just going through the footage.

I keep mine in locked garage overnight so it definitely wasn't then. I parked in two public car parks this morning. I have a feeling that is when it happened. Still reviewing all the footage. If not then it will be at work. I park in the few spaces right outside our office.

There’s a great deal of Tesla hatred out there. I have MA fire fighter plates and so far I’ve been left alone on the road and in parking lots. Those that hav EV plates here in MA are targets of the Tesla hatred imo.

• Informative
Reactions: jkoya
I need some advice here. Just spoke to LV and notified them of the vandalism. They said I would need to pay the £500 excess which should be recovered back from the culprit. I have just reviewed the sentry footage and the culprit is some local school boy! I don't think the police will take it any further as they are busy enough as it is. So my quandary is whether it's still worth claiming the scratch to be repaired through LV. How much is it to repair key scratches?

I have only had the car for a week now and have just discovered a key scratch on the right side passenger door. I did anticipate that this would happen with our types of cars; lots of jealous people around! Just wondering how many others have also had their cars keyed yet.
I insured with LV and I think they have vandalism cover but I don't know if it's worth fixing it only to find I have to do it all again soon. Anyone else had to fix their scratched car through their insurance and what is the process? I always have sentry mode on and I am just going through the footage.

I am not sure if LV have vandalism coverage, Direct Line do. How bad is the damage?

I have tried to be extremely careful parking and especially watchful for people in the areas that I have parked and fortunately 90% is covered by noticeable CCTV so helps to prevent idiots but when charging seems to attract more attention outside of superchargers

Last edited:
I have just reviewed the sentry footage and the culprit is some local school boy! I don't think the police will take it any further as they are busy enough as it is. So my quandary is whether it's still worth claiming the scratch to be repaired through LV. How much is it to repair key scratches?

100% contact the school and make sure that he is caught and his parents held responsible, with evidence the police still have a duty to take action otherwise the idiots might do it again, I am not sure but maybe you can file civil action against the parents but obviously as a last resort.

Do you want to post a picture of the scratches then maybe some people can advise?

I’m sorry to hear your experience.

I would be interested in knowing whether you’ve managed to get footage of the event and especially how the process was regarding forwarding this to the police, admissibility as evidence and whether they actually did anything about it.
My gut feeling is that UK police are way too under resourced to deal with vandalism.

Sorry to hear.
Trouble with claims is x/s and then even with no claim protection it's only a proportion. It comes down to cost. A good body shop should be able to fix it relatively cheaply if just the one door and one long scratch rather than gouges and dents.
Doubtless you saw the vid of a US woman keyng a tesla and then getting found and arrested - I doubt our wondeful british police will even try.... ar too busy with folk upset over some harsh facebook slur.

Reactions: roadcred
My gut feeling is that UK police are way too under resourced to deal with vandalism.

I doubt our wondeful british police will even try.... ar too busy with folk upset over some harsh facebook slur.

Agree only if the incidents get media coverage they are more likely to act rather than being seen as useless but obviously worth trying to get somewhere either way!

Last edited:
I need some advice here. Just spoke to LV and notified them of the vandalism. They said I would need to pay the £500 excess which should be recovered back from the culprit. I have just reviewed the sentry footage and the culprit is some local school boy! I don't think the police will take it any further as they are busy enough as it is. So my quandary is whether it's still worth claiming the scratch to be repaired through LV. How much is it to repair key scratches?
Figure out who he is by taking the footage to the local school. Have a chat with the parents on how to resolve this. That’s what I would do.

Tried to take photo to show you all here but the car is so reflective and it's near impossible to see the hairline scratch. I have a feeling the police won't do anything but I'll still report it to get the crime reference number for the insurance. Just annoying that I will have to lose £500 in excess. I'm due to get my car ceramic coated at a good detailer soon so don't know if it's cheaper and better to ask them to sort the scratch out before the coating.

As I suggested before you're likely going to lose some n/c proportion which over some years before it rebuilds adds to your costs. Check that with LV too.
If scratch is a fine as you suggest then out here in rural wales I'd expect it'd be cheaper overall to pay privately.

Figure out who he is by taking the footage to the local school. Have a chat with the parents on how to resolve this. That’s what I would do.

I doubt that UK a school would tell you who he is and certainly wouldn't divulge parents addresses. Heck the world we live in you might even get chastised for videoing children (..yeah I know I sound grumpy <sigh>..)
Of course you could park outside the school and might even get to identify him before being you're arrested for lurking there.

I would still be contacting the police first - with any video evidence you have. They will at worst give you a crime reference number and then if they don't take things any further, I would contact the school directly to ask for their response

I would definitely speak to a body shop before putting a claim in.
They may be able to sort it relatively cheaply, avoiding the excess amount, and also avoid record of a claim for when you renew your policy.

Maybe the detailer can price it into the ceramic coating cost for you if you ask nicely enough :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles - fingers crossed for an equitable solution

@fumusic so sorry to hear about your misfortune. Unfortunately the high excess is designed to deter people from making small claims.

Do report the issue to local police and obtain a crime reference number and if you can identify the kid report him to his parents and his local school if possible.

One of our biggest anxiety about our M3 is vandals and careless idiots who may just open their car doors without due care and consideration. We’d rather face the inconvenience of parking a little further away then increase risks by parking in a tight spot.

Reactions: zayn