Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just found that my new Model 3 has been keyed. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of our biggest anxiety about our M3 is vandals and careless idiots who may just open their car doors without due care and consideration. We’d rather face the inconvenience of parking a little further away then increase risks by parking in a tight spot.

Yes most definitely the same, especially watch out for undesirables in public charging locations!

Never ever make a claim for a small amount. You may have No Claims protection but believe me while LV will honour that they will slap your premium up next year. From what you say the panel will cost you about £500! Such is life! Swallow it and move on.

If the scratch is only fine and only in the clear coat then it will probably polish out.

Some years ago we bought a used Kia and the hatch area had been badly scratched by a big dog scrambling in and out. I managed to carefully polish out all the scratches (which you could easily feel with your finger nail) with careful use of T-Cut.

I suggest you let your detailer take a look - if it will polish out he may even do it for free while doing your ceramic coating.

As for the horrible little toe rag that did this, make sure to push the police into doing something. Get the school involved. Get 1000 leaflets printed with the little *sugar*’s photo on and put them through doors. Certainly don’t give him an easy ride.

If you do nothing then I can absolutely guarantee he will do it again - probably to your car.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

As you have done I'd report to the police, with any information that would make their lives easier such as the video footage and name of the school if you know it. I'd also try and get the police to contact the school - the school will take it much more seriously if it is the police contacting them. If for some reason the police won't contact the school, get in touch with the school directly with the crime reference number, noting that it would be the school contacting the parents.

There is some information on claiming compensation at How victims of crime can apply for compensation | The Met .

There was also a similar thread here a month or two back at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sentry-mode-works.163218/ - might also be worth reaching out to that person to find out how they got on and whether they have any advice.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I contacted my detailer about the scratch and he kindly offered to fix it for free when I have the ceramic coating done. I am so relieved. However, I shall be pushing the police to take action and I will be popping into the local schools to find the culprit. I won't be posting or distributing any leaflets with the boy's face as this is illegal. You are correct in saying that if the little scroat gets away with it, he will most definitely do it again.

The police don't have a good reputation for this kind of thing. but there is not usually video. If they know who it is and can get a quick win on their solved crime rate then they may be more keen. What they will tell you to do is NOT post the video on social media or give it to the press. However if they don't do anything about it then give it to the local press. nice easy story for them with video might track down the person responsible

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
@fumusic

One of our biggest anxiety about our M3 is vandals and careless idiots who may just open their car doors without due care and consideration. We’d rather face the inconvenience of parking a little further away then increase risks by parking in a tight spot.

;)

2E42FF9D-C4DA-4DB7-A93D-23BF72EB0329.jpeg

If that were me after I’d stopped crying I’d pass the evidence to the school. I’d say that I’d like to give the school/parents the opportunity to deal with matter and will wait on their response, and will pass the issue to the police if they don’t want to deal with it privately.

I’d also get a quote from e.g. Chipsaway and I’d be surprised if it was more than a couple of hundred pounds. I wouldn’t be involving insurance.

Reactions: freekie and m3p_uk
I need some advice here. Just spoke to LV and notified them of the vandalism. They said I would need to pay the £500 excess which should be recovered back from the culprit. I have just reviewed the sentry footage and the culprit is some local school boy! I don't think the police will take it any further as they are busy enough as it is. So my quandary is whether it's still worth claiming the scratch to be repaired through LV. How much is it to repair key scratches?
I think it is essential to report it to the police. I understand that they might be under pressure, nevertheless, it’s possible that the boy does this habitually to other cars so you’d be doing the area a favour.

I think it is essential to report it to the police. I understand that they might be under pressure, nevertheless, it’s possible that the boy does this habitually to other cars so you’d be doing the area a favour.

Yes this is the thing with the TeslaCam what we are witnessing is what happens every day to cars and I am sure its not just Tesla's its just the fact we have the ability to catch these wrong doings.

If someone sees a car with 4 security cameras facing it at every angle most would think twice, now its just a case of educating everyone not to mess with Tesla's which will happen with time and people getting caught!

When I was at school we would get in a lot of trouble if out of school we did something when we had our uniform on so its worth a go at contacting the school.

I'm due to get my car ceramic coated at a good detailer soon so don't know if it's cheaper and better to ask them to sort the scratch out before the coating.

We had some scratches at delivery and decided to let detailers sort it when it was ceramic coated. I took a brief look for a couple when picking it up from detailers, I couldn't spot them. If they are not too deep, you may find that the ceramic coating prep will sort the problem as part of the paint correction process. As someone mentioned, see if you can get their opinion prior to getting it ceramic coated.

This is terrible, what a nightmare not looking forward to this part of model 3 ownership. I used to get scratches on the front wings of my leaf but put that down to people leaning over it to look at it charging when it was nose in to the charger at the public NCP.

I don’t understand why anyone would do this, definitely follow up with the police and school otherwise who’s to say they won’t do it to you again after the repair. Do you mind saying where it happened?

I work near Hackney in London. I wouldn't leave my car parked on the main roads, but the work car park is right in front of the office with windows overlooking the spaces so I figured that people wouldn't be too brave to try something there. I've not seen any other Teslas in the area so my one is attracting unwanted attention.

Real shame that people are jealous and nasty enough to want to damage someone else’s property in this way. Maddening.

Inspired me to install my usb as card for Dashcam and switch sentry mode on for the first time. 3 “incidents” when parked up in a wee village in the Brecons this evening where daughter is attending an event. Notification on the screen in the car when I returned to it. I thought this would send some form of notification to the mobile app but it seems not. And I assume also that I can only view sentry footage by removing the usb and doing so on a PC? Would be great to be able to do so on the Model 3 screen when you get back to the car.

Real shame that people are jealous and nasty enough to want to damage someone else’s property in this way. Maddening.

Inspired me to install my usb as card for Dashcam and switch sentry mode on for the first time. 3 “incidents” when parked up in a wee village in the Brecons this evening where daughter is attending an event. Notification on the screen in the car when I returned to it. I thought this would send some form of notification to the mobile app but it seems not. And I assume also that I can only view sentry footage by removing the usb and doing so on a PC? Would be great to be able to do so on the Model 3 screen when you get back to the car.
Sentry mode will report many benign events like people walking in front of the car, even tree limbs blown about. If somebody crashes into your car, the alarm will sound and you'll get a notification via the app. Not sure about vandalism, but yes, you have to review footage. Tip: start at the last of the 10 1-minute files, or else prepare to be very bored. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: interbear
Whilst the decision to push it further is yours, even if requesting no further action, it would be worth it being public knowledge in his ‘world’ that he was caught on camera. When I speak to people over 35 about Teslas, they really aren’t that clued up but kids and young adults seem very very knowledgeable and discuss them all the time. If word gets around that interfering with a Tesla gets you on Sentry footage (it’s still relatively new and unknown thing to non-Tesla owners) it’ll whizz around t’interweb fast enough. Maybe a compilation of people with blurred out faces being caught is what’s needed to let people know they might want to scratch that one over there instead?