Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just gave Tesla my deposit: Need help!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a week and a half left to finalize my order and want to be super sure that I am ordering the car of my dreams. :tongue:

My biggest debate so far is the performance or not.

I positively want the bigger battery (85Kw) and the twin charger pack, and I am upgrading the rims and adding sunroof and tech pack.

Not too worried about the air suspension pkg, but is the performance + package, that is optional on the performance model, worth it?

Please lend me your words of wisdom (or sarcasm if that is all your pea brain can come up with)!!

Thanks!!!

I am not a "car guy". I'm a tech geek (robot engineer). When I went for a test drive, the Tesla rep, a self-described "car guy" said that he thought the best option for the money was the S85+air suspension. Depending on what your previous cars have been, the S85 is going to be the most amazing performance car you have ever driven. If money is no object, definitely get the P85+, but IMO the S85 is enough for 99% drivers.

Oh man, you are going to get bombarded by the P guys. That is fine, that is what they want, they should have it. For me, the S85 is just dandy. I'm not terribly interested in the 0 to 60 time, and although I can't prove it, I think the 40 or 50 to 70 times will be darn close. To me, that is where the fun is. If you end up with the S85, I'll wager you will never have a problem on a freeway entrance ramp.

I've got a P85, and do like the acceleration. But, I only decided to get it based on the inclusion of the wheels and a slightly aggressive budget work up. Now that the wheels are additional cost, I'm not sure if make the same choice.

I truly only use the P power once a month or so. I am sure the standard would be more than enough to wow friends and naysayers. But, I've not yet driven a non-perf car... Anyone want to volunteer to trade for a few laps around town?

I have other performance vehicles, so I think I may pass on it.

I just wish my Tesla would deliver already!! (Obviously I am anxious)

Going through and learning all of the Do's and Do Not's while in pre purchase mode, thankfully they give us the 2-weeks.

Rim/Tire warranty mentions or recommendations?? .... Paint armor or after market wrap....

Thank you guys for your input!!:biggrin:

I have a standard 85. Some days I wish I'd sprung for the P...other days not. The S is plenty fast...the only reason I really want the P on some days is that if someone challenges me I want to know I'll smoke 'em. :).

The S was a big purchase for me. I could've been fine financially going for the P, but I guess in the end it's better for that money to go toward my kid's education. (Actually I invested it in Tesla...doing pretty well right now!)

In the end it comes down to your finances. If getting the standard S feels even somewhat like a stretch, don't get the P. If the standard doesn't feel like a gigantic purchase for you, then choose based on your personal value of that extra bit of kick jumping off at a light.

I'd go aftermarket wrap and maybe get the entire hood done.
What other performance vehicles do you have? The P85+ might be able to replace one of those as well.

Concerning S vs P. I had the opportunity to drive a P85 for a week while my S85 was in the shop. I found that while the P85 0-60 was fun, I actually prefer the smoother (when I floor it) acceleration of my S85. Having the opportunity to drive the P85 for that week actually removed the regret I'd had that I couldn't originally afford to buy the P85. Now of course this is purely my opinion.

Concerning paint protection. I went after market and ended up having the entire car wrapped. Already saved me one repainted bumper. The service center accidentally scratched the paint protection while lining the wheels. Now, they would have had it repainted had the scratched the paint. But I've heard stories that it is very hard to match the paint when repainting a bumper. So lucky for me they just had to have the paint armor replaced and I didn't have to worry about the bumper not being an exact match for the car. Also, saved a scratch in my hood when something came flying out a second story window in the city and hit my car. Again no scratch in the paint and a small enough dent that was easily fixed by paintless dent removal. So for me, the full car wrap has turned out to be a wise investment.

I've got a P85, and do like the acceleration. But, I only decided to get it based on the inclusion of the wheels and a slightly aggressive budget work up. Now that the wheels are additional cost, I'm not sure if make the same choice.

I truly only use the P power once a month or so. I am sure the standard would be more than enough to wow friends and naysayers. But, I've not yet driven a non-perf car... Anyone want to volunteer to trade for a few laps around town?

My two cents Panzawho... I've driven the P models on at least 4 occasions, and ridden in them too. Had I never have tried the Performance model, I'd be purely ecstatic, bliss.

But alas, I've bitten the apple, and there's a time or two that I long for the performance. That and some Audi drivers around here expect, or don't fully know the differences yet. So don't want to let down the Model S reputation down.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car. And you will too. Just evaluate your hormone levels and ego to decide your need. ;)

Andy, I'm up for a swap!

Once you are in the 80-90K range for a car IMO you should get as close to the top of the line (e.g. P85+) as you can afford because:

1. Resale maybe better/easier
2. You won’t have regrets for not upgrading (after spending so much money already)
3. I’m not a fast car guy …..but…... I am so glad I got the P85…if Sig’s were available as P85+ I would have gone for that (yet another Sig tax!)

I just picked up my P85+, and it is a ridiculously insane car to drive. I have a Porsche 996 C4 and a '56 356 currently, and many Porsches throughout the years, but the acceleration, handling, and overall feel of the Model S hands down beats the 996. If you want the fun of a close to super car, and can afford it, and will drive it to its potential, I'd get the P85. If you're not going to use the additional handling capabilities of the P85+, than save the money. For me, the car is the best I've ever driven!

I positively want the bigger battery (85Kw) and the twin charger pack, and I am upgrading the rims and adding sunroof and tech pack.

1) Don't get the twin chargers. 40 amps at home is almost always fine, and you can still do Supercharging on the road. You won't be happy on the road even at 80 amps, should you find such a charger in NJ (probably none outside of Tesla showrooms).

2) If you're getting 85 and 21" rims then you should get performance. OTOH, if you have to ask about performance, then you might not really get that much out of it.

That's all my pea brain can come up with.