Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got 2019.24.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be nice if they added a message to tell you that your usb is almost full. Would hate to get your usb is full right when I park somewhere and then the car gets broken into.

Agreed. It should start to warn you when you get to less than 20GB of free space on the drive. 20GB of free space should be around 12 hours worth of continuous Sentry Mode recordings.

Hmmm that s interesting. Rather than make me remove some space, why doesn't it perform like most security cameras where it overwrites older files so it can keep recording?

It does, for routine TeslaCam files.

But the files Sentry mode saved are the ones where something happened, and mixed in with them are the ones you chose to save while driving.

I certainly don't want it deleting those files without telling me, but an option to delete things older than some date might not be a bad option...

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yes, the car stores the completed update file and all Tesla does is send the command to make the car perform the update.

Which begs the question, what is the failsafe if the stored update file is corrupt? :confused:
Good question. I don't know how Tesla does it, but I think I will ask about that the next time out there.

There are a few good ways to reduce possibility of bricking a product. One of the ways I used to do it in electronic designs is having a factory default set of code in ROM that never changes. And as part of the operational code, having a "keep alive" timer that regularly send a signal to an interrupt line in the processor. If the operational code fails or locks up for some reason, the processor would no longer receive the keep alive signal which informs the processor to begin running the factory backup code.

And as others say, whenever a new set of code is downloaded, the CRC key (embedded in the new code) is compared to the computed CRC from what was downloaded. If it matches, the new code gets installed and checked again after installation. Even then, a temporary power loss or some other problem might corrupt the installation of the new code and cause the factory backup to get executed and try installing the new code again.

That's not a process I invented. It's been around for at least a couple decades along with other variations of the design. I should think that Tesla is smart enough to be doing something at least better than the above and think they probably are. My curiosity is now peaked to find out.

Reactions: dendenyc
I was under the impression the impression that the navigation updates automatically when the car is connected to wifi. Is that not true?

That's basically true, but there are certainly occasions where we know there is a newer map that the car doesn't appear to be downloading for some reason.

Tesla probably does some sort of sequencing to keep the load on their servers manageable.

I got 2019.24.4 last night and I noticed this morning that using the turn signal didn't disable Autosteer (I just have standard AP, no FSD). Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't use Autosteer often, but I'd rather not have to disable TACC in order to change lanes if I do have it on and I hadn't had this happen before.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
You never have to disable TACC. You just have to turn off Autosteer with a single up tap on the shift/AP stalk. (Or let it turn itself off when you change lanes.)

I'm relatively sure that a tap up on the right stalk disables both autosteer and TACC, unless maybe just a half press disables just autosteer?

Also with just AP and no FSD, activating the turn signal used to reduce the torque threshold for deactivating autosteer, to the point that a very slight turn would deactivate autosteer but keep TACC on. I'm guessing the poster above is saying that the torque threshold reduction no longer takes place, and it takes a heavy hand to change lanes manually.

I've noticed this as well on my morning commute. But could be the fact that no car was in my changing lane/blindspot when changing lanes. It's usually pretty quick if there are no cars in the lane you are changing into.

Will continue to test with cars coming up to my blindspot and changing lane.

I had a situation today where a car was coming up in my blind spot and auto lane change swiftly made the auto lane change instead of waiting. It was safe to do. The car was still a bit far behind. But I am pretty sure previous auto lane change would have chickened out and not done the lane change. I am hoping this is a good sign that auto lane is more assertive now.

You never have to disable TACC. You just have to turn off Autosteer with a single up tap on the shift/AP stalk. (Or let it turn itself off when you change lanes.)
I thought that the blinker was supposed to turn off Autosteer. But today it didn't and it felt like wrestling control of the car to change lanes. I just didn't like the feel of fighting the car for control just for a lane change. I didn't recall having to do that before this update.

If you tap up on stalk, doesn't it cancel both Autosteer and TACC? I'll try some permutations on my commute home tonight and see what happens.

I'm relatively sure that a tap up on the right stalk disables both autosteer and TACC, unless maybe just a half press disables just autosteer?

Also with just AP and no FSD, activating the turn signal used to reduce the torque threshold for deactivating autosteer, to the point that a very slight turn would deactivate autosteer but keep TACC on. I'm guessing the poster above is saying that the torque threshold reduction no longer takes place, and it takes a heavy hand to change lanes manually.
Yeah, it felt like I was fighting the car for control where I remember hearing the deactivating chime as soon as I used the turn signal before. Maybe I'm mis-remembering or it was just a one off, but I didn't like the way it was working.