TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Just got a call out of the blue from Tesla to try a Model S for a day.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by John Van S., Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John Van S.

John Van S. New Member

I'm a March 31st 2016 in line Model 3 reservation holder in Florida. I just got a call from the new showroom in Naples Florida offering to allow me to use a Model S for a day. That's it, they didn't mention anything about the model 3, just that they wanted to give me a chance to try the model S. Of course I jumped on it and said "sign me up". They just verified my name and contact info and said show up with ID and Insurance card. Boom.!!!

• Like x 4
  2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Enjoy. Drive safe.

I hope they do that for me someday, but for an X. :-D

• Like x 2
  3. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Wish they would lend me a car for a day. Would be helpful for my commute to work and back.

• Like x 1
  4. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Just trying to upsell you on a car that you can get now versus one maybe almost a year later. September is end of the third quarter so have to keep pushing S and X sales compared to orders for 3s.

• Like x 3
  5. siggyfreud

siggyfreud Member

Makes sense, especially to target people taking Model 3 deliveries later. Each month that passes is an opportunity for another maker to convince people not to buy a Tesla product. Even though that might be an uphill battle given the following Tesla has, it's still a risk. If they can convert potential, distant future purchasers into immediate buyers, why not try? I have a pretty early delivery window (Dec-Feb), so if they were trying to convince me I'd be a bit worried that they're not confident in their delivery times . . .

• Like x 1
  6. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Yup

7. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Get your financial accounts in order, because you WILL want to buy one after test driving it for a day :) Same thing happened to me! Couldn't get the car out of my mind and everything else felt like a dinosaur after that darn test drive...

• Like x 13
  8. Max*

Max* Banned

Exactly.

Once you drive it, it's game over for a lot of people.

• Like x 2
  9. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

Seems like a smart move by Tesla. Best case, up-sell to a Model S. Worst case, keep the customer focused and waiting on the Model 3 without potentially being enticed by another option (limited as they may be) in the interim. Win-win all around.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

"Limited"? When it comes to long-range EVs with a nationwide high speed DC charging network, there are no other options. :cool:

But I take your point. The Bolt is a long range EV that will work for many people. Other than that, there really aren't any options...

11. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Don't do it or else you will end up purchasing an S.

• Like x 2
  12. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

I'd be happy to drive an S or X for a day but wouldn't give up my Model 3 unless Tesla can match all aspects of my M3....Cost, range, PUP, AP, and YEAR!!! If not, thanks for the use of the car for the day.

• Like x 1
  13. Ardie

Ardie Member

Hmmm. I got the same phone call.

They wanted to congratulate me on my Model 3 reservation, and they would like to celebrate by giving me a test drive in a Model S or Model X to experience the Autopilot feature.

Their evil scheme may be to entice me to embrace instant gratification and pick up a new (or maybe a CPO) Tesla now, rather than wait approximately a year before my Model 3 reservation supposedly comes due. It isn't such a bad idea.

There are nearly half a million of us (!) Model 3 reservation holders counting the days when we expect to get a message to Configure Your Model 3, even though that we will have to wait perhaps a year. We know (and Tesla knows) that there are a number of us who won't wait that long. So rather than play "catch and release" with, say, a quarter million reservation holders, Tesla is willing to play "a bird in the hand" with those rezzie holders, offering to sell them a Model S/X now, and qualify for that $7,500 Federal Tax Rebate now before it goes away.

Many of us reservation holders will hang on 'til the very end. Many will drop out. And at least Tesla is reminding us of a third option --- ending the game early and walking, er, driving away with something instead of nothing.

-- Ardie
    "Maybe I'll just go down there for a look. What harm could it do?"

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  14. Bad Horse

Bad Horse Member

Just curious for the people getting the phone calls. Have you gone to your myTesla page and put yourself down for first run, 35k base, or the later for the AWD? I could see them going after the first run and AWD waiters since both of those groups are essentially signalling to Tesla they are willing to pay more money for upgrades (not that you couldn't put PUP in the base model 3). I think it would be easier to get those who are going to put more coin down to put just a bit more down to get a model S, similar to when they had the 60 and 60D for a bit get some people to upgrade.

15. codex57

codex57 Member

Honestly, I don't see it that way at all. I think it's purely to try and cherry pick off as many M3 lineholders as they can and upsell to those people solely to get the M3 numbers down. I don't think they're worried about people going to other luxury brands at all.

If they bothered to put down a deposit, especially on the first day, Tesla knows these people are knowledgeable enough about EVs to be totally in. They're not in any hurry to get a car, so they'll be patient. That's not the type of person to wander off to, say, Mercedes. They want a Tesla.

The question is how they choose these people for the test drives. If they've somehow found out their income level, then maybe they're targeting ones they know can afford to jump up to a S/X and then the whole test drive thing actually has a chance to convert into a sale.

16. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

More than likely they have a list of local reservation holders and the sales reps just go down the list when they have time. I'm not sure if they would have the time (or if its legal) to do the research as you stated.

17. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

How dare they do that? Oh my goodness. You don't have to put up with someone trying to put you in the safest, most fun car in the world. Show them that you don't need that. Drive it for 2 days, before you buy it.

• Funny x 3
  18. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I got a call and a follow up email with an invite to test drive and "experience" the S.

I refused and will continue to do so...

Logical or not.. I can't afford it so I don't want to drive it so I don't wish I could afford it.

• Like x 2
  19. Hans L

Hans L New Member

Got the call on Tuesday in San Diego. Dec 17 - Feb 18 M3 Expected Delivery date. Gonna take the S for drive Friday afternoon...

• Like x 2
  20. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

I got a call yesterday from someone at Fremont. They asked if I had looked at the S and I said I had considered it. They then started asking to give me a quote for my trade-in and asked me to get pre-qualified for the .99% for 72 months. I'll drive the S but I'm not letting you run my credit unless I'm 100% going to buy the S.