Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a call out of the blue from Tesla to try a Model S for a day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
keep-calm-but-oh-no-its-a-trap.png

More than likely they have a list of local reservation holders and the sales reps just go down the list when they have time. I'm not sure if they would have the time (or if its legal) to do the research as you stated.

Yes, it's legal, and yes, they know your income level, and they know a whole lot more about you than that! Consumer data marketing is a huge industry these days.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I had someone from Tesla e-mail me a day or two after the delivery event to test drive the Model S but not lend for a day. Yesterday, another person from Tesla e-mail and called me regarding my configuration of Model S 75. No thanks, the S is my preferred but not within my budget.

I also got a call from Tesla and it looks like they are trying hard to sell S/X instead of 3. And they're holding bunch of showcase event over the country.

When I did test drive last year, I was under the impression that they're trying to give me more information about Tesla and EV. But this time, they're more focusing on selling cars. As far as I know, showroom employees salary isn't affected by selling count, but somehow, they're trying hard to sell cars.

Anyway, it's good to get another chance to drive Tesla :)

Is trying to sell cars a bad thing? I don't understand why the spin and tone of these post to imply there's something wrong.

In a way it is a reflection that they are no more demand constrained and the pipeline is dwindling, to the extent that they now need to 'hard sell' their cars more pro-actively. That is a shift from what we have seen in the last 4 years.

I wish they call me for an overnight test drive of an X

Reactions: jbcarioca
In a way it is a reflection that they are no more demand constrained and the pipeline is dwindling, to the extent that they now need to 'hard sell' their cars more pro-actively. That is a shift from what we have seen in the last 4 years.

They gave me a choice, but they already knew I already has an S. Idiot me, I had just speced out an X while I was signed in. Foolish me. Will I take an X? probably not, but now I'm thinking how much I'd rather have a smaller car in Miami vs a P100D. That is a good question, isn't it? The current car is so slow.

When the Volt came out from Chevy they were doing the same thing, only they loaned me the car for a week. It was great for giving me time to decide what I like and didn't. The car I own I only got 15 minutes to test drive (like I did at the Tesla "dealership") and some of the things that "sort of" bothered me still stick in my craw. Not that there was another car I could have gotten that would be better, but still would have loved a week to see if I really want the car in my life for a LONG time. I always figure I'll replace this car with the Model 3 but what if I am bugged by the Model 3 MORE? Not gonna trade it in when I take delivery.

-Randy

I never get these calls or emails, but wouldn't mind taking an S for a day (or weekend). I assume that the Seattle Tesla folks are either too ethical to pull this stunt or somehow know that most of my disposable income has been committed to my baby/toddler :)

It's also a sign that September's coming and it's time for the US sales push.

More than likely they have a list of local reservation holders and the sales reps just go down the list when they have time. I'm not sure if they would have the time (or if its legal) to do the research as you stated.
No idea what they actually do - but a whole lot of companies do lot more than just look at income levels. They buy as much data as they can of potential customers and have machine learning algorithms that generate list of people most likely to buy their product. Machine learning is not just for AP ...

Range is much lower
Less reliable
More costly to repair

Unlimited mileage warranty on the battery. 8 years unlimited mileage warranty on the drive unit rather than 4 years and 50k miles. Faster supercharging. Air suspension. Years of data included. Free supercharging. More interior room. Much more storage. Larger touchscreen. Loaner programme. Faster. Short wait times. And your assumptions of "less reliable" is highly questionable, comparing a vehicle that's been in production for years to one that's going to be coming off of just-built factory lines.

That doesn't mean "you should get an S". But calling it "clearly inferior" is silly.

While range is definitely better in M3, a smaller car is a smaller car. The interior space and cargo space is definitely a big appeal on the S. And I am not a big fan of not having the dashboard console.

S100D is clearly superior. Now is it worth forking another $30K or more - thats difficult to answer.

Tesla gave us a 24-hour "Extended Test Drive" of a brand new Model S P100D Ludicrous with AutoPilot 2.0 hardware in December... Hoping to get us to trade in our 2015 Model S P85D Insane with AutoPilot 1.0 for the P100D. I loved the MUCH higher range from the 100kWh battery, the ventilated seats (now discontinued) and of course the Ludicrous power and the promise of better AutoPilot 2.0 (disabled in December)... but the cost to upgrade just didn't make sense to us.

BUT if you don't own a Tesla now and get a Model S on a test drive you'll definitely want to buy one. In sales training, it's called a Puppy Dog Close. Give someone a puppy and they'll have a difficult time giving it back. LOL