Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got an email to pay for my 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ACH is the way to go. Avoids the credit checks and just works. Wire transfer takes another day or two and usually has a $25 to $50 fee to send. Cashier's check will still often get a credit check.

If you feel more comfortable paying after inspection it's not a problem. Go inspect and accept delivery, finish paperwork, do your ACH payment then. You may still have to pick up the following day on ACH though as it can take up to 24 hours to fully process.

Also make sure that Tesla figures the tax rates correctly. Here in CO, we pay tax on vehicle purchases based on where it will be licensed. And we're a home rule tax state, meaning that each city and county establishes their own tax rates. And then there's people like me who live outside city limits and only pay state and county level tax rates. I often have to get paperwork corrected.

Agreed, I was thinking of doing ACH as well. I received the purchase agreement this morning, with CA tax rate and no instruction on how to proceed. In 2013, we had to docusign it but with having setup "myTesla" site, maybe they want us to download, sign/scan and upload onto the site directly. I expect to hear from them early next week.

ACH is the way to go. Avoids the credit checks and just works. Wire transfer takes another day or two and usually has a $25 to $50 fee to send.
If there's a wire transfer delay, it's on Tesla's side. And it makes little sense as ACH is the slower mechanism. The downside to wire transfer (usually) is that there's a fee associated with it. The benefit is that it's same-day with a reference number for tracking. This is why most people use this when purchasing a house outright.

I used a wire transfer to purchase my MS and it was same-day. However, their receiving side may have changed.

@pvogel Good luck on your delivery. I hope everything is perfect.

My wife and I are real careful with watching our credit and hits when people to credit checks. Some people don't understand the negative effect credit checks can have. We have our credit locked down at all three credit bureaus. My wife was the Information Security Officer for a very large organization with over 750k employees and at times she gets paranoid about identity theft. Over the last year we have had our information stollen from three different sources.

Tesla SC dropped my car off at my detailer today at noon. It is about sixty miles from the house but I had to drop a friend off at the airport at 11:30 and since it was only 15 miles from the airport to the detailer I decided to go "visit" my car since I haven't seen it (her) in almost two weeks. My detailer knows how anxious I am to take it home so he is going to work the weekend to get it finished. He says it will be done on Sunday.

He was also telling me that the fenders on both sides along with the spoiler had at some point experienced some type of damage. Where it is barely noticable by the naked eye it is very noticiable under the special lighting he uses as part of the paint correction process. Where I could barely see the swirls and scuffs under normal life they were very prominent when viewed with the special lighting. He assures me it will look perfect by Sunday. I took some pictures today and plan on doing before and after shots after the work is doing.

Reactions: Fanatic1
Thank you all for the pointers on all scenarios that wil/may play out during payment/delivery. I'll know what to ask when I get the call to set up payment/pick up. Tesla has always been unconventional and unique in their operation, at the end it is still a young car company. I fully understand that and am ready to deal with ramifications. As for our tax rate, that is also what it is. Surveying our choices, I will neither buy another car nor leave the state. :)

Reactions: ohmman
View attachment 167290

Not directly, but you can get an estimate from the ca dmv site, I googled 'ca dmv registration cost'. The estimate was a few dollars higher than the actual.
Should the purchase not including the destination charge when calculating the CA DMV fees? I would input the purchase price (minus the destination fee) + DMV fees and taxes + $1,200 destination fees.

I'm planning to ACH directly from a brokerage account and maximize the TSLA stock appreciation. My stated delivery window is also showing 3/24 - 3/31, but agent wrote in her reply "Your model X is just finishing up the later stages of production and should be moving onto the final rounds of inspection shortly." By the way, if you plan to apply for finance through owner's portal, it suggests that you give it a month.

I too got the email from Tesla indicating my delivery window (MX 90D) as March 24-31. (VIN 19XX) and my DS thinks that this is very probable window. Meanwhile I have all set with the financing/leasing approvals etc.

Am I to assume that I would be asked to pay anytime now?

Anxious wait continues!
I emailed my DS a couple of times to find out the exact status of my car. (in production, in quality check etc.,) but have not received a clear and concise answer.

I could not say that I am really impressed with the responsiveness of my DS.

VA has personal property tax, which is in addition to the registration fee. While the registration fee for an EV is about $100 per year, property tax also has to be paid or else the car would not be registered. The property tax for the first year on a $140k car is more than $5k, this is in addition to the sales tax which is more than the property tax, but at least the sales tax is a one time thing. I do not want to delay my delivery if I can help it, so I will pay via ACH as soon as I know the car is on its way to the SC.

Pick up scheduled for Wednesday 3.23 at Fremont, received payment email on 3.20 and paid ACH. Also noticed that TM credited me back the $500 change fee when I switched from BO wheels to silver (after actually seeing the BO wheels, glad I did). Anyone else have a change fee refunded?

I received my "prepare for your model X delivery " email just. A few hours back. Hopefully the delivery is around the corner.
The email mentions payment options but I do not see any payment options at my MyTesla page.

Last edited:
VA has personal property tax, which is in addition to the registration fee. While the registration fee for an EV is about $100 per year, property tax also has to be paid or else the car would not be registered. The property tax for the first year on a $140k car is more than $5k, this is in addition to the sales tax which is more than the property tax, but at least the sales tax is a one time thing. I do not want to delay my delivery if I can help it, so I will pay via ACH as soon as I know the car is on its way to the SC.
My taxes in FL were $8300 plus other fees.