Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got an email to pay for my 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the "Prepare For Your Upcoming Model X Delivery" e-mail I received yesterday (for a factory pick-up):

We accept final payment prior to delivery via ACH or electronic check in MyTesla. For all final payments made at delivery (if applicable in your state), please bring a cashier's check or personal check made out to "Tesla Motors, Inc." We do not accept credit cards or cash.

We accept final payment prior to delivery via ACH or electronic check in MyTesla. For all final payments made at delivery (if applicable in your state), please bring a cashier's check or personal check made out to "Tesla Motors, Inc." We do not accept credit cards or cash.

I'm definitely just going to do a personal check. Much easier, pay on delivery, and if there is a reason I can't take delivery, I'm not left with someone else holding my cash.

Can someone please advise if payment in advance is required when picking up the vehicle in FL at a SC?

Also, I read that someone on S forum recommended commencing insurance on the vehicle coterminous with it leaving the factory and at the time you have wired the money.

Still hold with X deliveries?

Thanks.

Also, I read that someone on S forum recommended commencing insurance on the vehicle coterminous with it leaving the factory and at the time you have wired the money.

Still hold with X deliveries?
Good question. The purchase agreement says the risk of loss is the customers when the car is delivered to the common carrier at the factory. It also states that the carrier carries insurance. Unknown is the coverage when the car is at the SC being prepped.

Good question. The purchase agreement says the risk of loss is the customers when the car is delivered to the common carrier at the factory. It also states that the carrier carries insurance. Unknown is the coverage when the car is at the SC being prepped.

If you don't pay until you pick up the car then obviously the risk belongs to Tesla. I can see zero reason to insure a car until I accept delivery. My insurance company offers a grace period for new vehicles where I am covered automatically for a few days after purchase until I put a new policy in force.

My taxes in FL were $8300 plus other fees.
But wasn't that on a P90DL? Our personal proptery tax essentially doubles the sales tax, and to make matters worse, you have to pay it every year. This year my taxes will be close to $10k (including sales tax) and next year $5k for a P90D or $4k for a 90D. Each year after that it will go down as the car depreciates, but not enough. At one point I calculated that the total tax paid in ten years would be more thant $16k, but that is with a car that cost under 100k.

Last edited:
Just to add to my prior post, the taxes on a P90DL in VA including personal property and sales/use would be more than $12k, in the first year. So, while your taxes @Darryl is pretty high in FL, it would be even worse in VA. Usually the personal property tax is paid in October for the following year, except when you pay a new car, when you also have to pay a pro rated tax for the period in the current year. There is relief however. The first $20k of the value of the car gets a 50% discount, so once the car is worth $20k, maybe in about 15 years, I will only have to pay about $500 in personal property tax.