Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got back from test driving the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@nogassnorlax
2) Faster battery charging. The 75D only has the 48A onboard charger, whereas the 100D has the 72. Apart from supercharging, this was really a moot point. I either plug in overnight or while I'm at work. Either way, I'm basically plugged in for 8+ hours, and I'm going to charge to whatever I want in that period of time. I would pay the price at the supercharger, but I think I may use a supercharger maybe once a year? Even if I end up taking more trips and use it all the time, I think I'd be fine charging at a slower rate.
The 48A vs 72A makes no difference for Supercharging, it only affects Level 2 charging - e.g HPWC and other destination type chargers - if they are higher amperage you can charge faster.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
I’m probably going to buy it because in order to buy the extended warranty, you must have annual services performed. I’m still tempted to extend the warranty to 8 year 100k miles but I have time to decide. You don’t have to buy the maintenance plan until your first visit, so 12 months or 12k miles

The 75d works fine in california, not sure how much the cold winter would affect your range. I just drove round trip to Whistler BC (~2k miles) and I doubt a 100d would have saved us an hour each way. I might do a trip like this once every 2-3 years, that is an expensive hour saved with a 100d. On most trips out of town I need 15-25 minute charge to make it home when visiting Bay Area or Sacramento, 100d wouldn't makenit without a charge stop either. As superchargers become more numerous the 100d will be even less advantageous. It's 17k plus tax for the extra 60 miles, unless you have more cash than you can possibly spend i can't see the justification.

I don't have PUP with premium sound, but I'm not 17 and don't need my car bouncing down the road with bass. I've found the fade needs to be 75% to the back to get rid of the "all up front" sound.

Amateur audiophile here. X premium sound is good as a car audio system. I think it is one of the best in the industry.

Now if you have a chance to re-listen it again, open the audio panel in the center screen and click on equalizer icon. Try uncheck Dolby. Move soundstage slider to the back of the car a little bit. Start adjusting equalizer from flat setting. Use USB audio or playback from your phone via Bluetooth. USB is much better, but TuneIn is terrible.

The 75d works fine in california, not sure how much the cold winter would affect your range. I just drove round trip to Whistler BC (~2k miles) and I doubt a 100d would have saved us an hour each way. I might do a trip like this once every 2-3 years, that is an expensive hour saved with a 100d. On most trips out of town I need 15-25 minute charge to make it home when visiting Bay Area or Sacramento, 100d wouldn't makenit without a charge stop either. As superchargers become more numerous the 100d will be even less advantageous. It's 17k plus tax for the extra 60 miles, unless you have more cash than you can possibly spend i can't see the justification.
I drove an S85 for 3 years and then upgraded to an S90D. This gave me an extra 30 miles of range. It doesn't sound like much, but it made long distance traveling much more efficient (I do a lot of long distance trips - I've driven 136,500 in five and a half years, and I don't have a daily commute). This is basically because I rarely have to charge to such a high percentage charge in the 90D - charging is a lot faster the lower percentage charge which you have to achieve. In the 85 I would frequently have to charge to 100% to make a long stretch, whereas in the 90D I rarely go above 90% and often much less. Admittedly a lot of the S85 travel was when the Supercharger network was more sparse. However I assume that in a 75D, especially an X, you might often end up needing to charge to 100%, especially in the winter. Of course all of this is moot if you really don't plan to do long distance trips on the Supercharger network.

Soon we’ll be going through our first winter with our X75D. The X is driven 60 miles round trip a day M - F. Typically, with a 90% charge it retires for the night down about 25% with a state of charge at 65%. Giving up 20% to 30% to that range loss would move the evening state of charge from 65% to 60%-57%. Which is totally acceptable, still leaving over half the battery untouched.

I too am on the fence about purchasing the extended warranty. It’s a money maker for them, so just have to ask yourself.... Do you feel lucky

I drove an S85 for 3 years and then upgraded to an S90D. This gave me an extra 30 miles of range. It doesn't sound like much, but it made long distance traveling much more efficient (I do a lot of long distance trips - I've driven 136,500 in five and a half years, and I don't have a daily commute). This is basically because I rarely have to charge to such a high percentage charge in the 90D - charging is a lot faster the lower percentage charge which you have to achieve. In the 85 I would frequently have to charge to 100% to make a long stretch, whereas in the 90D I rarely go above 90% and often much less. Admittedly a lot of the S85 travel was when the Supercharger network was more sparse. However I assume that in a 75D, especially an X, you might often end up needing to charge to 100%, especially in the winter. Of course all of this is moot if you really don't plan to do long distance trips on the Supercharger network.

Of course there are some people that drive ridiculous amounts of miles over long distances where the few minutes saved by a bigger battery may be worth it to them. However, as you said the supercharger network keeps growing and that allows you to time charges at a better SOC speeding up the process.

On our 2k mile round trip we could not have skipped chargers in the 100d, and we never had toncharge over 90%. This is why I stayed the 100d likely wouldn't have saved us more than an hour each way, about 10%. I only travel like this for vacation also, not in a rush.

If you factor in food and bathroom breaks, the inconvenience of charging drops dramatically with either battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
I’m probably going to buy it because in order to buy the extended warranty, you must have annual services performed. I’m still tempted to extend the warranty to 8 year 100k miles but I have time to decide. You don’t have to buy the maintenance plan until your first visit, so 12 months or 12k miles
I'm pretty positive that is not true.

I'm pretty positive that is not true.
Corbets, you can disagree all you want, but it's right there on Tesla's site. There is absolutely no requirement to perform the annual services in order to buy an Extended Warranty. The only caveat is that once you do buy the Extended Warranty and are in that warranty period, your coverage MIGHT be affected if you don't follow the recommended services.

If I choose not to service my Tesla vehicle, will this void my warranty?
It is highly recommended that you service your Model S or Model X every 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details.

Reactions: TexasRat
Corbets, you can disagree all you want, but it's right there on Tesla's site. There is absolutely no requirement to perform the annual services in order to buy an Extended Warranty. The only caveat is that once you do buy the Extended Warranty and are in that warranty period, your coverage MIGHT be affected if you don't follow the recommended services.

It is highly recommended that you service your Model S or Model X every 12 months or 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first. If you do not follow this recommendation, your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected. During the agreement period of the Extended Service Agreement, your coverage may be affected if recommended service is not performed. See the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for further details.
I believe that you have to complete the recommended maintenance during the period of coverage for the extended warranty, but that doesn't necessarily mean all the maintenance from the 4 years prior.

EDIT: On first read I thought you were suggesting it needed to be performed. On second read, I realized you've read it exactly the same as I did.

Did...Did... you just reply to yourself?

Does seem like you don’t need to do the warranty for the first four years. In that case, probably just years 2 and 4? 1 and 3 don’t seem to be all that necessary.

Also a note that it’s a total crapshoot with extended warranty for the X. I suspect most people are still covered under the new vehicle warranty. There are a few people that have exceeded it based on miles, but I’m more concerned about the electronics based on time. I figure I’ll at least wait until I can see people who have purchased theirs in 2016 and 2017 to see how they’re holding up in year 5 and 6 before I decide.