Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got back from test driving the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first test drive with the P100D White Pearl on 22” but it was on 75D mode because realisticaly I’m not going to buy a P100D lol. Here are my thoughts:

Let’s start with the pros:

- Autopilot is the *sugar*!!
- Love the highseating
- Overal specious
- Felt like I could drive anywhere
- Felt really safe

Cons:
- It felt bulky and heavy
- Felt lots of bumps on the highway. Did not like this at all.

The most disapointing thing I noticed...
The sound system :(((((( I was so heartbroke. The sound is all in the front and I don’t like that.

We returned the car to have a quick drive in the S. Did not like it at all.

So we left. And I was a lil disapointed. I really wanted to like the X completely. I was like “this isn’t right”. So I went back and ask if I could try the 75D with the 20” rims I saw they had parked outside. Right when I got on the road I was like “Yes!! This is it. It’s those damn rims that made a huge difference!” also the 75D weighs less and was more nimble. It was so much more smoother.

They let us sit in the 3 and my parents liked it way more then the S. It had more room and best of all.. THE SOUND SYSTEM. It was amazing.

So now I’m on the fense of thinking about getting a 3 lol I really wanna be team MX but the 3 is way cheaper. *sigh*

My first test drive with the P100D White Pearl on 22” but it was on 75D mode because realisticaly I’m not going to buy a P100D lol. Here are my thoughts:

Let’s start with the pros:

- Autopilot is the *sugar*!!
- Love the highseating
- Overal specious
- Felt like I could drive anywhere
- Felt really safe

Cons:
- It felt bulky and heavy
- Felt lots of bumps on the highway. Did not like this at all.

The most disapointing thing I noticed...
The sound system :(((((( I was so heartbroke. The sound is all in the front and I don’t like that.

We returned the car to have a quick drive in the S. Did not like it at all.

So we left. And I was a lil disapointed. I really wanted to like the X completely. I was like “this isn’t right”. So I went back and ask if I could try the 75D with the 20” rims I saw they had parked outside. Right when I got on the road I was like “Yes!! This is it. It’s those damn rims that made a huge difference!” also the 75D weighs less and was more nimble. It was so much more smoother.

They let us sit in the 3 and my parents liked it way more then the S. It had more room and best of all.. THE SOUND SYSTEM. It was amazing.

So now I’m on the fense of thinking about getting a 3 lol I really wanna be team MX but the 3 is way cheaper. *sigh*
Did the X have the premium sound system, or base?

Did the P100D have the upgraded sound system ? Wheels do make a difference depending on road conditions ..where I’m at 22s are fine ...the 3 is a good value for range etc ..however depending on hauling needs and if u need the X you can’t beat the space

He said it was premium but I didnt feel like it was.

If the screen has 3 options for sounds does that mean it’s premium cause that’s what I saw

If was P100 than is has the premium as the P comes with PUp standard ...most likely EQ settings are set flat ..,and maybe the surround sound setting was enabled which contrary to what its supposed to do actually makes worse :(

I’ve thought about it. I think I'll still go with the X. It would be $85k after federal state tax or I could either get the 3 for $50k. I think it’s worth upgrading the 3 to the X which cost only $15k more.

I feel pressured cause everyone keeps saying to buy 100D and even tho I want to, I'm saving 17k from my pocket and could use that to buy a newer model, 5 years down the road.

Reactions: hiroshiy
OP consider inventory/showroom cars you can get a significant discount on the 100D if u are still on fence ..plus can get the car sooner :oops: ... U are still eligible for tax credit on those vehicles

@nogassnorlax

I've found the PUP audio to be very satisfactory. I enjoy it quite a bit, but you HAVE to adjust the EQ settings. Without adjusting, it feels pretty flat, especially since the volume only goes up to like 11 or so. However, once you mess w/ the EQ settings, it sounds totally different.

Why feel pressured? The only one you should listen to is yourself and your significant other :p I bought a 75D. I could easily afford the 100D, but I couldn't justify it. As my wife told me, "Why spend extra for the <1% use case?"

This is basically the debate that went on for me:

1) Longer range (not that much longer though, 50-something miles in ideal situations). Granted, that range could be make or break for some, but not for me. My day-to-day commute is maybe 20 miles during the weekdays. Maybe 50 miles on the weekend?

2) Faster battery charging. The 75D only has the 48A onboard charger, whereas the 100D has the 72. Apart from supercharging, this was really a moot point. I either plug in overnight or while I'm at work. Either way, I'm basically plugged in for 8+ hours, and I'm going to charge to whatever I want in that period of time. I would pay the price at the supercharger, but I think I may use a supercharger maybe once a year? Even if I end up taking more trips and use it all the time, I think I'd be fine charging at a slower rate.

3) Faster 0-60 times. The 100D puts out more power, but I found the difference to be fairly minimal. I've driven every flavor of the X, and I found the 75D is no slouch! The 100D is definitely easier to make the wheels slip when flooring it slightly, but I found myself happy enough with the performance of the 75D. I shouldn't really be accelerating faster on public roads than that anyway :D

4) Bragging rights. I wanted to show off the 100D badge because ... well ... because I sometimes want to show off that I can afford things. Seems pretty stupid and a mentality that I need to purge from my psyche. I'm blessed to have the funds to pay for this car, and others don't. That doesn't make me any better, so this particular one was a deeper debate that I needed to wrestle with internally. I never like to buy the entry level of anything, and almost always for the wrong reason. But remember, this entry level Tesla Model X is hardly entry level!

There are other things you brought up in terms of weight/handling, but I honestly felt they were fairly similar. I was able to take them to the fun twisty roads in my area, and felt that the handling of the 75D or 100D were totally fine and kept me within safe operating margins of what I should be doing in a car on a public road.

The only other thing that people have pointed out here is towing. If you plan on towing a boat or a trailer any distance, you will most likely need that 100D just for the extra 25 - 30 miles it might give you. If you don't tow (I don't), then I really don't think it matters.

Hope this helps you.

@nogassnorlax
Why feel pressured? The only one you should listen to is yourself and your significant other :p I bought a 75D. I could easily afford the 100D, but I couldn't justify it. As my wife told me, "Why spend extra for the <1% use case?" .
Very good point! I feel pressured because everyone is saying go with 100D! and there are some people who say I wish I would've gotten the 100D but then again I don't know what their life is like and they probably travel more then I do.

@nogassnorlax
1) Longer range (not that much longer though, 50-something miles in ideal situations). Granted, that range could be make or break for some, but not for me. My day-to-day commute is maybe 20 miles during the weekdays. Maybe 50 miles on the weekend? .
same here, I work from home. Minimal travels to groceries.

@nogassnorlax
Even if I end up taking more trips and use it all the time, I think I'd be fine charging at a slower rate..
yup. for the 1%, I'd rather save the $16.5k

@nogassnorlax
4) Bragging rights. I wanted to show off the 100D badge because ... well ... because I sometimes want to show off that I can afford things. Seems pretty stupid and a mentality that I need to purge from my psyche. I'm blessed to have the funds to pay for this car, and others don't. That doesn't make me any better, so this particular one was a deeper debate that I needed to wrestle with internally. I never like to buy the entry level of anything, and almost always for the wrong reason. But remember, this entry level Tesla Model X is hardly entry level!

THIS. Everything you said about this is spot on and no one really talks about this.

Outside of this, the only thing I worry about is battery degradation in the winter time since I live in Michigan. But even that I don't even travel long distance much, only on weekends.

Reactions: TexasRat
To be fair, I always told you that you should buy a 75D :p

IMO, buy the 75D. If you love it, then maybe 4 - 10 years later, buy the 290D when they release it :D

In all seriousness, others have chimed in on your thread or at least others like it and it sounds like it's really not that bad at all in the winter. I would assume you take a 20% hit or something to be safe. There are plenty of threads on the forums about that though, so I would suggest you do more research if you're still worried.

To be fair, I always told you that you should buy a 75D :p

IMO, buy the 75D. If you love it, then maybe 4 - 10 years later, buy the 290D when they release it :D

In all seriousness, others have chimed in on your thread or at least others like it and it sounds like it's really not that bad at all in the winter. I would assume you take a 20% hit or something to be safe. There are plenty of threads on the forums about that though, so I would suggest you do more research if you're still worried.

Lol it was me that was pushing 100D :oops:...OP for disclosure I have never had a Tesla with battery smaller than 85 and I live in a land of superchargers in SoCal:eek: ....the battery hit for heater is significant but you can get around this by preheat before leaving on trip or using seat heaters which take a lot less energy ...real world mileage on the 75D if you keep in sweet spot of 20-80% driving around 75mph you can prob do ~140miles ...for most folks that is plenty for daily driving