Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got car; always plugged in? on of off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my car on Thursday. I have read on many forum posts that one should leave the car plugged in at all times and limit charge to about 80+-10% or something like that. Thus I am doing that.

However one question I have is whether to leave the car on or off. I have set the car to turn off when walked away. When that happens, the charging port turns dark, so it's no longer charging (already reached charge limit, haven't driven the car yet so don't know if it would be green and charging if charging is needed).

But if I leave the car on, it appears the dash screen will stay on...

So should the car be turned off after parked at home? And plugged in. I assume it will charge if charging is needed even if the car is off right?

Thank you

Keep it plugged in whenever possible, charge to 90%, and don't worry about the rest.

ScanSep2201311_40AM-page1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
You don't have to do anything to turn the car on or off, it does so automatically. The charge port light turning off is because Tesla doesn't want to draw attention to the car while it's charging in public. The car charges whether or not the charge port is lit. Two different things. Lock the car with the FOB as you walk away or enable auto-locking and walk away. Car takes care of the rest. No need to explicitly turn it on or off.

The on/off is automatic based on butt in seat. When you sit in the driver's seat and put your foot on the brake, you'll notice the dashboard change so it's ready to drive. After you're out of the seat the car will turn off (not completely off, the battery management system is still managing the battery).

Don't overthink this. The car knows what to do. You can just get in and drive, and park and get out. There is no on\off to think about.

Just remember to unlock the car before trying to remove the UMC. There is no turning car on/off. Just get out of car, plug it in, and walk away. If Public charging remember to lock car so your UMC cannot be removed.
You don't even have to remember to unlock or lock the car if you have auto locking enabled (which I think is the default setting at delivery) and the key fob is in your pocket. Really this is so much easier than an ICE car. There is nothing to think about other than remembering to plug in, which becomes habit very quickly.

Reactions: markn455
So I just got my car on Thursday. I have read on many forum posts that one should leave the car plugged in at all times and limit charge to about 80+-10% or something like that. Thus I am doing that.

However one question I have is whether to leave the car on or off. I have set the car to turn off when walked away. When that happens, the charging port turns dark, so it's no longer charging (already reached charge limit, haven't driven the car yet so don't know if it would be green and charging if charging is needed).

But if I leave the car on, it appears the dash screen will stay on...

So should the car be turned off after parked at home? And plugged in. I assume it will charge if charging is needed even if the car is off right?

Thank you

I think it was mentioned but the charging is GPS aware. When you are charging at home the port will blink green like your used to seeing - in public it will go dark/off faster - especially if plugged into a Tesla HPWC as the little green stripes running down indicate charging still.

T

I think I understand OP's question, and I'm wondering the same thing.... especially being concerned about vampire drain and 12v battery lifespan.

Isn't there a feature to turn "off" the car when away (the "off" whereby it might take an extra few seconds to "boot up" or something like that, when you get in)? -- Not the "off" it does when you simply get out of the seat.

I pick my new 85D up tomorrow, and will be keeping it in a garage. I think I'd just rather have it more in and "off" rather than "standby" while I'm sleeping. Am I worrying too much?

I think I understand OP's question, and I'm wondering the same thing.... especially being concerned about vampire drain and 12v battery lifespan.

Isn't there a feature to turn "off" the car when away (the "off" whereby it might take an extra few seconds to "boot up" or something like that, when you get in)? -- Not the "off" it does when you simply get out of the seat.

I pick my new 85D up tomorrow, and will be keeping it in a garage. I think I'd just rather have it more in and "off" rather than "standby" while I'm sleeping. Am I worrying too much?

Are you referring to the Energy Saving options?

When Energy Saving mode is turned "On" the car will 'sleep' after a period of inactivity at any time of day. This results in the extra few seconds of start up time. With Energy Saving mode turned "Off" the car will only go into the low power 'Sleep' mode at night, i think between the hours of 10 PM and 6 AM. So to "have it more in an 'off' rather than 'standby'" you sleep, you would set Energy Savings to 'Off.' Hope this helps.

You don't even have to remember to unlock or lock the car if you have auto locking enabled (which I think is the default setting at delivery) and the key fob is in your pocket. Really this is so much easier than an ICE car. There is nothing to think about other than remembering to plug in, which becomes habit very quickly.

You do, however, have to remember to close the car door though...

This past ski season, at Alpine Meadows (California), someone next to me walked off with their family/friends after getting geared up, leaving the driver's side door of their Model S wide open. After we had finished getting ready and it became apparent that they weren't coming back, I wrote a little note and closed it for them. It did auto-lock of course. :p

Last edited:

Yes you're worrying too much. You do not need to be especially concerned about vampire drain. If you are, then uncheck "always connected". Do NOT turn the car off.