Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got car - noticing more body roll on twisty roads than usual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got car few days ago and fine on city streets but when I get on our tollway (at freeway speeds) which has newly paved roads with some nice twists here and there the car has a strange side to side reaction. Even though I've been driving an Audi S5 and CLk55 AMG lately before theTesla arrived I certainly don't expect it to bite down into those curves like those cars do however this still doesn't seem right. Even our 2016 Honda Pilot doesn't behave this way on those roads and it is far from a good handling vehicle.

M3 is SR+ and is running Michelin Primacy tires on the base Aero wheel. Generally I've done well with any kind of Michelin and wonder if these are made differently for EVs or something. I might take some air out and see what happens. They are at 46 psi now. I'd give up some range to have better handling. Also the car sits a bit high and maybe that has something to do with it or maybe Tesla hasn't quite developed a good suspension setup for the base car.

Anyway has anyone else noticed what I'm talking about? Otherwise hard to complain about the vehicle but handling is important to me.

Unfortunately it's how all Model 3s are, with the exception of the P3D+, if you're used to driving german cars. It's lacking in spirited driving dynamics for a car that can accelerate as quickly as it can. Your only option is going with an aftermarket suspension though lowering springs might help a bit as well.

Does the model three have any sway bars?

Yes, it's pretty much a conventional suspension (no fancy electron suspension yet!) I agree that most of your problem is from the tires and how much rubber you have. It will flex under side load and you will feel the car sway. That said, the stock suspension is still fairly soft IMO especially in terms of body roll.

Would suggest getting upgraded sway bars as a first step since they are much cheaper than coilovers, but both are a good idea ;)

Haven’t searched, anyone running them?

Yep a few people, i'm one of them and they are definitely worth it. I wish i had tried them before getting coilovers, but even with a stiff set of coilovers i could still feel a difference in body roll reduction. DAErik on YouTube also has them, so does @mcbarnet007 and a few others i think.

Unfortunately it's how all Model 3s are, with the exception of the P3D+, if you're used to driving german cars. It's lacking in spirited driving dynamics for a car that can accelerate as quickly as it can. Your only option is going with an aftermarket suspension though lowering springs might help a bit as well.
That’s not how my LR RWD is. It is very sure footed and handles very well in turns.

Yes, it's pretty much a conventional suspension (no fancy electron suspension yet!) I agree that most of your problem is from the tires and how much rubber you have. It will flex under side load and you will feel the car sway. That said, the stock suspension is still fairly soft IMO especially in terms of body roll.

Would suggest getting upgraded sway bars as a first step since they are much cheaper than coilovers, but both are a good idea ;)

Yep a few people, i'm one of them and they are definitely worth it. I wish i had tried them before getting coilovers, but even with a stiff set of coilovers i could still feel a difference in body roll reduction. DAErik on YouTube also has them, so does @mcbarnet007 and a few others i think.

I'm planning on full coilovers + lowering etc next year. Think I should put the sway bars in early? or just do them all at once

Thanks for replies about sway bars, that's one of the first mods that I need to do the car.

Does the Performance model have different sway bars than the other models, if so, what are stiffness numbers for those?

I've ordered a sway bar for the rear in March and still don't have it from unplugged. How did you get it already? They told me they are waiting until after Tesla Corsa. But still waiting... I can't run both due to scca rules.

I remember when the 3 first came out there were complains that the ride was too harsh. Tesla made some modifictions to make it more comfortable. You just can't please everyone everytime. This is a family sports sedan before it's a track car. Get new springs/anti-sway bars and stiffer tires if not the performance model if your need is different than what's offered. Everyone who's into spirited driving knows that.

Last edited:
Reactions: VQTRVA and kbecks13
I remember when the 3 first came out there were complains that the ride was too harsh. Tesla made some modifictions to make it more comfortable. You just can't please everyone everytime. This is a family sports sedan before it's a track car. Get new springs/anti-sway bars and stiffer tires if not the performance model if your need is different than what's offered. Everyone who's into spirited driving knows that.

The only difference between the Performance and RWD/AWD is wheels and tires (as far as handling goes), so why the exclusion for Performance. Wouldn't it be easier / cheaper to just do the wheels/tires first?

I'd try driving a Performance + to see what it feels like before doing anything.

Even with Aero's the Model 3 feels like it's on rails to me. Although my VW CC (more or less an A5) is no S5 there is no comparison with the Model 3. To much body roll, that's funny. I'm sure 20" sticky tires will bring it up another notch though. I moved from 18" (all season touring) to 19" (also all season touring) and barely notice any difference in handling (didn't really expect to and hoped not to). But I don't drive it like a stole it either.

I will say I doubt switching 18" all season to 20" summer will "fix" body roll. In fact a better gripping tire might roll more ;)

Not sure how much of the 18" (lack of handling) is the side wall vs the rubber. There are quite a few folks that run 18" Michelin PS4S (or similar). Might ask them.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CarlK