Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got CPO 2016 P90DL , 111 mile range acceptable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all ,

very new to the forum and Tesla. I tried to search for real world mileage and came up with ranges per charge, etc. I apologize in advance if the has been discussed. just got a 2016 p90dl. charged to 90%. stated that I had 222 miles. drove 79 miles, and had 63 remaining. Meaning that I burned off 159 miles off the Tesla range, only driving 79. about half .

meaning that the 63 miles I had remaining would really mean 32 miles. or 111 miles per 90% charge. its 18 degrees in st Louis, I kept the heat to 74 , 1 heated seat on full blast, and I drive in ludicrous mode, and jack rabbit starts, 75 -80 on the highway, etc, etc. In other worlds , not really caring about range.

I know that I'm a fast driver , but is 50% range and 111 miles to a charge something that I should have Tesla look at?

My nav locks up and displays me driving next to the road instead of on it, a lot , so yeah not the best luck so far. but hey , I still love this car.

...I apologize in advance if the has been discussed...

Yes. So many new owners caught off guard with real-life energy consumption.

As @ucmndd already covered. Most likely, there's nothing wrong with your car. You just need to adjust your driving style if you want the advertised range.

1) Most of the time, it's the bigger rim: The bigger the more energy hog. Is your rim size standard at 19" just like the same size that EPA uses?

2) Speed: Slow down if you want EPA number. EPA uses 42MPH as "highway speed" to comply with the good old standard of 1985.

3) Wind: It's an additional "speed" energy loss penalty.

4) Heater: It uses lots of energy! It's like 12 kW which is the equivalent of driving 50 MPH in speed but it's the energy hog in addition to your speed.

5) Air Conditioner: Not as bad as the ones above, but still it's significant if you want to match your EPA number.

That's why people buy the longest range possible to take into account that most people don't put their cars on a dynamometer in perfect laboratory conditions.

Cabin heater is 6kW max, but don’t generally run max once temp is reached
AC is 3kW max, again usually 1-2 range once cooled down.

Speed is the most important factor. If you want rates range, you need to drive around 55-60mph. If you drive 75-80mph, you are going to get like 75% rated range on a warm day. You can get 1.5x rated range if you drive 30mph steady but that is not practical.

Temp makes a big diff, battery and regeneration efficiency as well as dense air. Expect 20% less range at freezing point. At 10F, penalty is likely 30-35%.

So, high speeds, deep freezing temp. Yep, you will get 50-60% of rated range. Drive at 55mph on a 70F day without AC and you can get 110% rated range.

• Helpful
Reactions: 2012MS85
Awesome , thanks for the quick reply fellas . I did read the forums and all the discussion was how many miles they were displaying when charged . And not the real world . I also read the tips and figured I would drive the car how I wanted to rather than turn down or off the heat and just use the seat warmers , etc . I don’t really need all that range and figured it would go down to about 180 miles ? Don’t ask me where I got that number , just hoping I guess . No biggie , I have an ice car when I need to worry about longer trips . Yeah you guys are right , 111 was a bit shocking for a noob . EPA says 15mpg on my ice car and I’m getting 14 real world . So I guess I was hoping the same for the Tesla . My dads getting 80 of his range out of his model 3 , but he’s 77 too

As @ucmndd already covered. Most likely, there's nothing wrong with your car. You just need to adjust your driving style if you want the advertised range.

1) Most of the time, it's the bigger rim: The bigger the more energy hog. Is your rim size standard at 19" just like the same size that EPA uses?

2) Speed: Slow down if you want EPA number. EPA uses 42MPH as "highway speed" to comply with the good old standard of 1985.

4) Heater: It uses lots of energy! It's like 12 kW which is the equivalent of driving 50 MPH in speed but it's the energy hog in addition to your speed.

5) Air Conditioner: Not as bad as the ones above, but still it's significant if you want to match your EPA number.

That's why people buy the longest range possible to take into account that most people don't put their cars on a dynamometer in perfect laboratory conditions.

Wow, is EPA really defining highway speed as 42 MPH? I knew it was slow and antiquated but assumed it was at least 55 MPH. When I'm on roads with a 45 MPH limit I easily beat the EPA efficiency rating and have more range than stated.

OP, congrats on your new car. Like anyone else with a new Tesla, it's hard not to take advantage of the instant torque and acceleration. What is your Wh/m rating? It must be in the 500-600 Wh/m range to reduce your range in half, given its also Winter. To get the EPA rating, you need to average closer to 350 Wh/m. Try the following thread:

How to get max range from a P90DL?

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program nearly a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't had the 70pt inspection done they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing.

4) I think the heater maxes out at 6kW when full-tilt. This # cuts in half (3kW) if Range Mode is enabled. Also, in a P-car like this P90DL Range Mode actually makes a significant difference when compared to the non-P cars since it puts the rear motor to sleep. In the P-cars the rear motor is the power maker meaning it's less efficient so having this sucker not soaking up tons of juice can help in a pinch.

@akitkchell It sounds like you're having a ton of fun! It also sounds as if you're not too stressed about the mileage which is a good thing. Just plan around it, but like others said, for your driving style, its normal.

I got my 75D in the summer last year and driving in the winter for the first time. I was also surprised at the 30 - 40% range loss at temps around 14 Fahrenheit and I don't drive too fast and try not to do too many jack rabbit starts unless I need to. Even though its always so much fun flooring the throttle in Tesla's!

right ostridgesak , that's what I meant. it is an important distinction. I just assumed everyone knew what I was talking about.i almost pulled the trigger on a used Tesla from an independent dealer who offered me a 4 year up to 100k mile warranty, but with a $250 deductible and who knows if Tesla would even honor something like that. In the end , I went with a car direct from Tesla for the Tesla warranty. the scratches and imperfections were well photographed, and I've already had them all fixed. the car wants even cleaned up from the prior owner. horrible service, but the car makes up for all of that.

As you own our car you will find your need to "Jack Rabbit" start lessen and you will just power start, lower you cabin heat to 68-69 with the seat warmer on. Wear a sweater or sweat shirt. If your hands get cold and you have cold weather package turn on your heated steering wheel for a few mins. Pre heat your car while plugged in so its already at temp. If you're at a super charger leave the cabin temp up while you are charging. Wind, hills and speed are not your friend with range. If you are driving daily and not a great distance then it won't really matter how much range you are getting, it is only important when you want to take a long road trip. Enjoy your car.

ota ron , your so right ! already used to the acceleration. I knew my lack of restraint would like lessen my range, I just didn't think it would be under 50% . I've already made some adjustments. I don't have a heated steering wheel, and id still prefer to crank the heat and just deal with the range. its only caused me mild anxiety , driving constantly on my day off. I'm sure i'll get used to it. thanks for the tips. hindsight being 20/20 ,I probably should have gotten a long range car instead of the performance. When I drive in range mode, which I don't like the hinderance of the ac / heat, I do get more range,. About 30 more miles ( which could mean 15 ) would be perfect :)

I have a P100DL and am getting over 240 miles at 80% charge - I mostly use Chill Mode, Range mode and leave the heat off. I have the heated seat and the heated steering wheel on and I wear a jacket. I use Ludicrous only for special occasions... Drive it like crazy for the small trip days. If you need to go on a longer trip, set the mode to Chill, turn on Range mode and you will do great.

Brent

I have a P100DL and am getting over 240 miles at 80% charge - I mostly use Chill Mode, Range mode and leave the heat off. I have the heated seat and the heated steering wheel on and I wear a jacket. I use Ludicrous only for special occasions... Drive it like crazy for the small trip days. If you need to go on a longer trip, set the mode to Chill, turn on Range mode and you will do great.

Brent

Chill Mode on a Ludicrous car? Blasphemy!
:p

• Funny
Reactions: OTARon