Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got FSD Beta 10.12. Performance more than disappointing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: edited thread title to reflect the actual FSD version being discussed.

On first two trips, car ran a stop sign and tried to run a red left turn light. It would not take highway exits programmed by the nav planner. It tried to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic much too close. It often selects the wrong lane for what's coming next. Entering the highway, it reverted to Auto Steer. Acceleration after stop was unreasonably rapid for stop just ahead, then much too slow on highway. I had one instance of "phantom braking" on the highway. Steering is jerky and uncertain through turns. Several other mistakes too numerous to mention. I tapped the video symbol each time there was a problem,, so hope Tesla is aware. The performance so far is beyond disappointing. I'm not ready to even try the unprotected left turn maneuver that 10.13 was supposed to fix. Have others had better success with 10.13? Maybe my 2020 Model X needs a computer upgrade to handle FSD Beta 10.13?

Another question: it seems like FSD Beta is not really needed on the highway, nor does it work well per above. Am I supposed to revert to Nav on Autopilot? If so, how do I do that (aside from disabling FSD Beta via the touchscreen), since pulling the Autopilot stalk back twice now invokes FSD Beta?

Last edited by a moderator:
...It would not take highway exits programmed by the nav planner...

Some say FSD beta does not affect highway driving because it's "city streets only". It sounds like an "upgrade" on FSD beta can affect the highway driving competency as well (a downgrade in performance in this case).

...to revert to Nav on Autopilot?...

On the Autopilot menu tab on your car's screen, you can turn off FSD beta so it can perform as if it only has public FSD/Autopilot. You can turn it back on any time but you have to click on the consent screen again each time you switch it back on.

Reactions: mangrove79
On the Autopilot menu tab on your car's screen, you can turn off FSD beta so it can perform as if it only has public FSD/Autopilot. You can turn it back on any time but you have to click on the consent screen again each time you switch it back on.
I thought if you went on the highway it would *automatically* switch to NoA? AFAIK there is no such thing as FSDBeta for highways.

I thought if you went on the highway it would *automatically* switch to NoA? AFAIK there is no such thing as FSDBeta for highways.
Very true in theory and according to some people because we are not "single stack" just yet.

But if so, then we wouldn't have this thread would we?

Thus, we just have to find ways to shutdown FSD beta manually so we can enjoy the public Autopilot/FSD version on highways.

My experience has been nowhere near as bad as yours. Maybe try the camera recalibration some have recommended?

I’m sure neither of us were expecting perfection. I view myself as in surveillance and rare correction mode as the driver. Sounds like you are having to correct far more than I am.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Very true in theory and according to some people because we are not "single stack" just yet.
But if so, then we wouldn't have this thread would we?
Thus, we just have to find ways to shutdown FSD beta manually so we can enjoy the public Autopilot/FSD version on highways.
  • I don't have FSDbeta but have driven my kids with it a while back and it automatically switched to NoA was my recollection as they let me try different roads.
  • Well, sometimes threads get started with some set of symptoms and interpretations that don't always turn out to be the way it works.
  • As well the OP is "new" so you don't always know their experience level (ie. perhaps bought the vehicle recently (used, etc).
HTH explain my angle.

Last edited:
Have others had better success with 10.13?
Do you mean 10.12.2? I’m not aware of 10.13 being released yet, at least Teslafi is showing 10.12.2 as the latest.
Another question: it seems like FSD Beta is not really needed on the highway, nor does it work well per above. Am I supposed to revert to Nav on Autopilot?
It reverts on the highways with no action from you. The graphics change from city streets to the more familiar AP/NOA graphics. It behaves 1000 times better on the highway than City Streets. I’m not aware of anything that differs in the highway program from non-FSD beta implementation other than disabling the radar on older cars that have a radar.

• Helpful
Reactions: mbp11 and scottf200
Another option to switch between Beta and non-Beta is to create a second user profile (where you set the seat and mirror positions). Many of the vehicle settings, including FSD Beta, are profile dependent.

Exactly. I’ve had FSD Beta in my Model 3 for, what, almost a year a now? I was in the “first group” to get it w/ perfect safety scores.

It’s a novelty. Interesting, and somewhat amazing that it can do what it does. But not ready to turn my life over to it anytime soon, either.

Creating 2 profiles is key. We have this in our Model 3 — my profile is enabled, my wife’s is not. Makes for marital harmony - she wants nothing to do with it.

Now, my dilemma …. Our Model X (2020 LR+) is at the airport parking garage, and prompting to install FSD Beta. She’ll be home a few days before me, so if I hit the button, she’ll come home to a car prompting for FSD Beta agreement. So I’m going to wait till I get home Saturday and do it myself … just hoping I don’t lose access because I didn’t install it quick enough or something.

I need to make sure her profile doesn’t have any FSD bits - not even the visuals — they’d drive her batty.

But yeah, overall, that is about what’s expected from FSD. It’s far from perfect, but we need folks to drive and test it to improve the data. Bit of a catch-22.

Reactions: jakimo
Exactly. I’ve had FSD Beta in my Model 3 for, what, almost a year a now? I was in the “first group” to get it w/ perfect safety scores.

It’s a novelty. Interesting, and somewhat amazing that it can do what it does. But not ready to turn my life over to it anytime soon, either.

Creating 2 profiles is key. We have this in our Model 3 — my profile is enabled, my wife’s is not. Makes for marital harmony - she wants nothing to do with it.

Now, my dilemma …. Our Model X (2020 LR+) is at the airport parking garage, and prompting to install FSD Beta. She’ll be home a few days before me, so if I hit the button, she’ll come home to a car prompting for FSD Beta agreement. So I’m going to wait till I get home Saturday and do it myself … just hoping I don’t lose access because I didn’t install it quick enough or something.

I need to make sure her profile doesn’t have any FSD bits - not even the visuals — they’d drive her batty.

But yeah, overall, that is about what’s expected from FSD. It’s far from perfect, but we need folks to drive and test it to improve the data. Bit of a catch-22.
I received the FSD Beta while my car was parked for a few days in a parking garage - I was surprised that the update downloaded over LTE as there was no Wi-Fi access. Anyway, I started the update from that app remotely, but I don't recall ever having to accept any agreement either to start the update or when starting the vehicle. FSD Beta was turned off by default, so nothing appears very different for the first drive after the update.

Full Sorta Driving Beta
Highway problem solved. When I selected the option to start NOA at the beginning of all trips, the switch between FSD Beta and NOA was seamless coming on/off highway, and NOA worked fine on the highway, taking exits as planned, etc. On my test drive today, the other problems remained. FSD Beta attempted to turn right on red directly in the path of a car coming through the intersection. Another time it tried to turn left in front of an oncoming car. In both cases, an accident would have resulted without my intervention. Twice it swerved violently to the right for no apparent reason. Failed to negotiate simple turns a couple of times, did well on other turns. It got very confused in both situations when two lanes were turning in parallel, became erratic, and I had to disengage. Once it swerved into a left turn lane when the nav planner showed driving straight. It accelerates too fast when a stop is looming, and too slow when entering the highway. Steering is still jerky and unsettling.

When Beta works well, which it has some of the time, it's really great. But I feel like a test pilot taking up an experimental airplane for its first flight. Will try the camera calibration. Thanks to all for the feedback on my first post.

Reactions: 3toY22
On first two trips, car ran a stop sign and tried to run a red left turn light. It would not take highway exits programmed by the nav planner. It tried to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic much too close. It often selects the wrong lane for what's coming next. Entering the highway, it reverted to Auto Steer. Acceleration after stop was unreasonably rapid for stop just ahead, then much too slow on highway. I had one instance of "phantom braking" on the highway. Steering is jerky and uncertain through turns. Several other mistakes too numerous to mention. I tapped the video symbol each time there was a problem,, so hope Tesla is aware. The performance so far is beyond disappointing. I'm not ready to even try the unprotected left turn maneuver that 10.13 was supposed to fix. Have others had better success with 10.13? Maybe my 2020 Model X needs a computer upgrade to handle FSD Beta 10.13?

Another question: it seems like FSD Beta is not really needed on the highway, nor does it work well per above. Am I supposed to revert to Nav on Autopilot? If so, how do I do that (aside from disabling FSD Beta via the touchscreen), since pulling the Autopilot stalk back twice now invokes FSD Beta?
The beta version is 10.12.2 with 2022.12.3.20. FSD disengages on the highway and defaults to your NOA settings separately. My highway drive was exactly as it was before FSD beta. In all the scenarios that were equivalently covered by non-beta FSD is significantly better. I had a different experience than yours on protected and non-protected turns. I thought it performed good for an early adopter beta release.

Do you mean 10.12.2? I’m not aware of 10.13 being released yet, at least Teslafi is showing 10.12.2 as the latest.

It reverts on the highways with no action from you. The graphics change from city streets to the more familiar AP/NOA graphics. It behaves 1000 times better on the highway than City Streets. I’m not aware of anything that differs in the highway program from non-FSD beta implementation other than disabling the radar on older cars that have a radar.
Yes, I meant 10.12.2. Sorry for the confusion.