Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got into an accident. How’s it look?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Model S vs a big Dodge SUV. She turned left in front of me, I slammed on the breaks and hit her pretty good. Cop said it’s her fault and obviously I have sentry plus another dash cam in the car for proof. We’re both fine. I was coming home from a workout/HIIT class.

My body is a little sore but not sure if it’s from the workout or accident. If it gets worse in next couple of hours I’ll go to the Dr.

This really sucks because first, I like this car. I know it can be fixed but a car that’s been in an accident is depreciated. The tow truck guy said I could sue her insurance for the depreciation. Plus, this model S has free supercharging. So if I get a new car don’t think I’ll get that back.

Thoughts on damage/totaling/length of time to repair? Have had a model S (on my second one now) since 2017. Before that don’t think I’ve ever been in an accident so lot of researching to do.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• A4AFE578-68C2-443E-88A7-8F21A61EC51C.jpeg
    A4AFE578-68C2-443E-88A7-8F21A61EC51C.jpeg
    825.4 KB · Views: 435
  • 5E9078B1-44DA-4A88-8194-B2CE4D16645B.jpeg
    5E9078B1-44DA-4A88-8194-B2CE4D16645B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 301
  • 6146C2D7-631F-4C8D-8D11-2ED42508F24E.jpeg
    6146C2D7-631F-4C8D-8D11-2ED42508F24E.jpeg
    962.7 KB · Views: 313
Probably not totaled. $20K-$30K repair though. Brace yourself for an extremely long repair time without your car. I had a similar repair take around 6 months.
Yea, from reading other posts appears it will be a while. I’m in North NJ so will start looking soon.

My insurance provides a rental for 30 days. I think they said $30 a day. Amica. Next time I’ll add the extra ~$20/year for extended rental car.

So after 30 days I’m SOL? Pay on my own? Since it’s their fault can I reclaim past 30 days from their insurance?

Also, in the midst of it all I was asked if I was hurt. I said no. But a couple hours later now my neck and back feel a bit sore. Nothing major and not trying to get extra money from them but might go to Doc later if it continues. It could be from my workout.

I had something similar a few years back and it ran about $12-13K. It all depends on the unseen damage. '

I keep seeing occasional notes about free supercharging on recent cars. What's the deal there?

I had something similar a few years back and it ran about $12-13K. It all depends on the unseen damage. '

I keep seeing occasional notes about free supercharging on recent cars. What's the deal there?
When I bought the car late 2020 that was an end of year promotion. Actually my first S in 2017 had the same promo

While hard to tell, the damage doesn't look all that bad (but could be worse under the bumper). Looks like a new hood, a new bumper facia, and the beam behind the fascia. Might be well under $10K and not so long to fix. Since it wasn't your fault, it would seem the party that caused the accident is on the hook for a rental even if beyond 30 days. That's on them, not you or your insurance unless you are in some kind of no-fault state. Hope you get a good outcome however it goes.

When it is the other driver's fault, they are responsible for ALL your loses to make you whole. That would include providing transportation until your car is repaired or replaced. If it is a long repair time, I would request their insurance to pay you for the car and transportation, and they would them own the car after it is repaired, so they could sell it. This wouldn't be a salvage car. Then you wouldn't need to wait for 6 months or whatever, and they would not need to pay your for the 6 months loss of use.

Reactions: rahs and Leeclanual
When it is the other driver's fault, they are responsible for ALL your loses to make you whole. That would include providing transportation until your car is repaired or replaced. If it is a long repair time, I would request their insurance to pay you for the car and transportation, and they would them own the car after it is repaired, so they could sell it. This wouldn't be a salvage car. Then you wouldn't need to wait for 6 months or whatever, and they would not need to pay your for the 6 months loss of use.

And don't forget Diminished Value.

Make sure your cooling system is working before driving it too far. I had a much less serious accident where someone turned in front of me. I was not moving but they tore off the left front fascia and light fixture AND damaged the cooling system. At the time of the accident cooling was being demanded (either the cabin or the battery or both) and I could hear the coolant pump running constantly. You don't want heat (lack of cooling) to damage your battery.

Only if it's totaled.
No, my offer would be to have the insurance company buy the car from me at its retail value before the accident. Then they own the car, they wait to get it fixed, and then they sell the car for what it is worth after fixing it. My proposal is to settle the matter now, and not have all these questions about diminished value, how long of a car rental the insurance company need to provide, etc. They own the damaged car, not totaled car. I get money and sign the title over to them. I sell the car to the insurance company.

No, my offer would be to have the insurance company buy the car from me at its retail value before the accident. Then they own the car, they wait to get it fixed, and then they sell the car for what it is worth after fixing it. My proposal is to settle the matter now, and not have all these questions about diminished value, how long of a car rental the insurance company need to provide, etc. They own the damaged car, not totaled car. I get money and sign the title over to them. I sell the car to the insurance company.
This is interesting. Kind of feel like shiz right now but will think about this more and look into it tomorrow. Ty

As mentioned, will look into it more tomorrow but I should propose this to my insurance or hers? I’m going through my insurance since I figured it’d be easier than dealing with hers

As mentioned, will look into it more tomorrow but I should propose this to my insurance or hers? I’m going through my insurance since I figured it’d be easier than dealing with hers
Typically your insurance should manage everything on your behalf. Looks like you're in NY or NJ, which are both no-fault states? If so, talk with your insurance about the implications. In CA, the at-fault driver would have to cover rental car, etc. indefinitely during repair, but that may be different in your state if coverage is limited / governed by your own policy due to no-fault.

Reactions: Leeclanual
In my state, no fault just applies to Medical, and then only up to a limit ($10,000?). Your state may be different. The at fault party still pays for damage to the victim's car and property, but your insurance company can assist in smoothing out the process and fronting money they will collect from the at-fault insurance company. I would talk with both companies. You will not come out ahead, you will just "be whole" as you were before the accident. This just settles the issue quicker.