Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got MX 90D and love it. But so many problems on forum?

Have you had a safety issue on your Model X?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really love the new MX 90D. I didn't buy it for the autonomous features ( I am really really good at software - believe me - you don't want software to drive you for at least next 5 years and preferably next 10 years).

I bought it because I love how it drives. The handling is awesome. The acceleration is instant. The interface is simple and less distracting. Overheat protection and remote cooling are wonderful. For local driving, it's awesome to always wake up with a full charge. No need to deal with the ignition and the clunky start-stop button. 6 seats configuration is quirky but awesome!

My other car is a Mercedes and man I hate the Start-Stop functionality with the associated shudder. Feels like I am riding a farm vehicle.

So you get the point. I love this car in the traditional sense of loving a Driver's car.

However when I visit the forum it is so depressing. Everyone here is complaining about one thing or the other. Not many threads about how much people love their cars.

I ignore issues like Ghosting, panel gaps, third row getting stuck, leather issues etc. Tesla service is awesome. They stand behind their product and they will make things right.

However when I read about safety issues like suspension breaking while parking or motor damage while driving, I feel a bit more scared. When I got the car earlier this week, there was an alert for driver side seat belt even when I was wearing it. Air bags don't deploy if car detects no seat belt. What else could be wrong?

So I am wondering is the situation so bad. Or is it that there is a selection bias on the forum, where people post only when they have issues?

Wondering about the overall picture!

I really love the new MX 90D. I didn't buy it for the autonomous features ( I am really really good at software - believe me - you don't want software to drive you for at least next 5 years and preferably next 10 years).

I bought it because I love how it drives. The handling is awesome. The acceleration is instant. The interface is simple and less distracting. Overheat protection and remote cooling are wonderful. For local driving, it's awesome to always wake up with a full charge. No need to deal with the ignition and the clunky start-stop button. 6 seats configuration is quirky but awesome!

My other car is a Mercedes and man I hate the Start-Stop functionality with the associated shudder. Feels like I am riding a farm vehicle.

So you get the point. I love this car in the traditional sense of loving a Driver's car.

However when I visit the forum it is so depressing. Everyone here is complaining about one thing or the other. Not many threads about how much people love their cars.

I ignore issues like Ghosting, panel gaps, third row getting stuck, leather issues etc. Tesla service is awesome. They stand behind their product and they will make things right.

However when I read about safety issues like suspension breaking while parking or motor damage while driving, I feel a bit more scared. When I got the car earlier this week, there was an alert for driver side seat belt even when I was wearing it. Air bags don't deploy if car detects no seat belt. What else could be wrong?

So I am wondering is the situation so bad. Or is it that there is a selection bias on the forum, where people post only when they have issues?

Wondering about the overall picture!
I'm responding as an S owner in the X forum but there is some crossover here in regards to forum complainers.

I'm glad I discovered TMC after I purchased my Tesla otherwise I may not have pulled the trigger. Tesla has the highest owner satisfaction rating of any other car in the world yet all we hear is "whah whah whah" on this forum. I read these threads and think "there is no way they are driving the same car as I am".

Either:
1. there are a lot of imaginary Tesla owners(owning a Tesla in your sig a real Tesla owner does not make).
2. OCD is prevalent among TMC members "when I look at a piece of trim from a certain angle it appears to be misaligned by .01 mm and I've brought to the SC 50 times...why aren't they listening to me!?"
3. TMC is simply "1st World Problem Central" I mean for godsake you own a Tesla...stop complaining.
4. They don't understand you can simply text, or call, or email Tesla Service which will yield far superior results than whining on a message board.

Don't get me wrong there is lot's of useful information here but man you've got to wade through a ton of garbage to get there.

I'm responding as an S owner in the X forum but there is some crossover here in regards to forum complainers.

Don't get me wrong there is lot's of useful information here but man you've got to wade through a ton of garbage to get there.

I agree with you. I own an early (later 2014) S P85D and have a few thousand miles driving an X 90D, and I have rented teslas for several long trips. As such I have the idea I have experienced a little more than the average, but many have much more experience than I do.

Anyway I have noticed that complaining seems to be a dominant feature of many auto enthusiast forums, not just this one. (I recall Porsche 996 complaints, to mention only one).

I think Tesla owners are indeed different than are others. We all seem to have gigantic expectations, most of which are met, but we're really vitriolic when anything at all happens. The X did have lots of FWD problems, and the one I drove most still had a few squeaks, but everything worked perfectly. These cars are quirky, no doubt. The S has no door pockets or coat hangers, the windshield in the X and the FWD are nearly as far from the norm as are the seats. The performance of all Teslas is mind-boggling.

So whenever anything is not spectacularly good we complain, often bitterly.

1) There aren't enough Superchargers and there are none near my preferred desolated drive (My personal gripes: the TransCanada Highway still lacks Superchargers on most of it's length, there still are none on any cross-Australia route);
2) Service can be slow and sometimes loaners aren't even Tesla!
3.) The 12v batteries sometimes fail.
4) The X is different and people get confused about the doors. Once: they did not work too well. Fixed.
5) Back in 2013 drive units failed, and battery packs were replaced.
6) Collision parts are more expensive than they were on my, say, Honda Accord (this one is funny, All cars in this league are expensive to repair! Try with an MB S-Class, a BMW 750, any Porsche, a Jaguar)

...And so it goes. My personal view is that the complaints are part of a maturing process with new owners less understanding than were earlier ones. We have less to complain about than we ever did. Despite the teething problems very few Tesla owners seem to want anything else.

Frankly I enjoy understanding more about how people manage to have problems and consequently I learn more about problem prevention. I do worry a little bit that silly complaints can end out dissuading people from buying, although I doubt that is a major factor.

I do wonder how many of the bitter complainers are real people who own the cars they're complaining about. Short sellers do want the shares to go down, don't they?

As on all forums, people don't come here (usually, as somewhat explained above) if their 'item' is working fine. They come here if it's not. Or if there is a question. Or they want to learn more. How many Teslas are there? How many (unique) complaints/complainers are there here? I think about that every time I wonder if I've ordered the wrong car. :D

With an overall satisfaction rate of 94%, few of those people come here to post. It's that remaining 6% that primarily post on TMC and have a disproportionately louder voice. Let's not dismiss their complaints, because most of them are legitimate issues that need to be resolved.

Therefore, it may seem like the problems are bigger than they are, so we just need to be aware of the big picture.

I've been on the forum a while. The suspension issue is a non-issue, and I have absolutely no reservations about putting my family in the vehicle.

It's selection bias, as is the case with all forums. Unfortunately, Tesla has also attracted people with specific agendas that have amplified (or entirely fabricated) anything negative that is brought up on the forum.

i had little cosmetic problems and FWD noises, but at the end of the day it's really minimal.

the biggest thing i had changed, (i don't think i would consider it safety) is the front drive axles that rattled which was a problem on the early VIN X's...

Hello Tesla MX family,

What I have to share I would classify it as more of a concern than in the complaint category.
This past week while driving back from Dodger Stadium with my family in the MX, there was a sudden loss of power and eventually the car slowly shutting down while going 65 on the 110 freeway North towards Pasadena.
I was pretty scared that someone would rear end me and the family.
I felt completely helpless but at the same time I didn't want my family member to be freaking out.
Eventually I got to a safe area and got off the freeway.
Multiple warning signs appeared and I was just scared and pissed off at the same time with what had happened.
The car is only 3 months old and I didn't start driving it until last month. It has less than 2k miles on it.
There was a moment where we almost got rear ended by a car that was going 70+.

The car is currently at the Burbank SC and they are still trying to figure out what happened with the car. It's been 2 days.
As much as I like Tesla, with the way the MX was pushed and probably skipped a few steps including some safety protocols to bring the car to market, mistakes like what I've and others in my situation have experienced really forces me to reevaluate my support as an investor and a product owner. It's true about that saying, until it happens to you, you won't really do something about it.
I also own a MS and never had these type of problems.

I like technology but Musk needs to back off on his stupid deadlines and make sure the vehicle build and safety measures are first priorities because people's lives could be in danger. Skipping necessary safety protocols because you think it's "good enough" is reckless and should never happen. Never would have imagined something like this would happen to anyone.

Just be careful fam!

Hello Tesla MX family,

What I have to share I would classify it as more of a concern than in the complaint category.
This past week while driving back from Dodger Stadium with my family in the MX, there was a sudden loss of power and eventually the car slowly shutting down while going 65 on the 110 freeway North towards Pasadena.
I was pretty scared that someone would rear end me and the family.
I felt completely helpless but at the same time I didn't want my family member to be freaking out.
Eventually I got to a safe area and got off the freeway.
Multiple warning signs appeared and I was just scared and pissed off at the same time with what had happened.
The car is only 3 months old and I didn't start driving it until last month. It has less than 2k miles on it.
There was a moment where we almost got rear ended by a car that was going 70+.

The car is currently at the Burbank SC and they are still trying to figure out what happened with the car. It's been 2 days.
As much as I like Tesla, with the way the MX was pushed and probably skipped a few steps including some safety protocols to bring the car to market, mistakes like what I've and others in my situation have experienced really forces me to reevaluate my support as an investor and a product owner. It's true about that saying, until it happens to you, you won't really do something about it.

I like technology but Musk needs to back off on his stupid deadlines and make sure the vehicle build and safety measures are first priorities because people's lives could be in danger. Skipping necessary safety protocols because you think it's "good enough" is reckless and should never happen. Never would have imagined something like this would happen to anyone.

Just be careful fam!

This is scary. Did they find out what is going on. I read a similar article where the motor was damaged which caused the car to stop.

Think you'll find the majority of complaints here are ... the company ... not the car.

The car is fabulous. But I DREAD having to get service.

There are simply inadequate service centers (my car has been on Tesla flat bed over 1,200 miles this year), am on 3rd motor etc.

Service techs are BADLY trained when you CAN find SC.

Think you'll find the majority of complaints here are ... the company ... not the car.

The car is fabulous. But I DREAD having to get service.

There are simply inadequate service centers (my car has been on Tesla flat bed over 1,200 miles this year), am on 3rd motor etc.

Service techs are BADLY trained when you CAN find SC.

Didn't understand the 1200 mile part.

Do you have any links documenting the issues you faced.

There is no basis for you statement that Tesla skipped safety protocols with the Model X. Tesla did have a lot of build problems with the Model X. As a result they missed quarterly targets several times because they held back production. They also created a lot of repair work for service centers because of engineering changes to fix things like the FWD's. But I have never heard that Tesla skipped safety protocols. Would you care to cite a specific instance of this please?