Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got my 14-50 plug installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my new M3P hasn't been delivered yet, but at least I have a fancy new 14-50 plug to look at. :)

Question. I haven't seen what the factory supplied Tesla cable looks like. I assume I'm going to need some sort of adapter for it. If so, which one should I get?

Thanks!!

Well, my new M3P hasn't been delivered yet, but at least I have a fancy new 14-50 plug to look at. :)

Question. I haven't seen what the factory supplied Tesla cable looks like. I assume I'm going to need some sort of adapter for it. If so, which one should I get?

Thanks!!
Your car will come with the "Mobile Connector" and includes a standard 5-15 adapter (for your standard 120V plug).
Mobile Connector

You will need to buy a 14-50 adapter, it's $45 here:
Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Some service centers may have it in stock also.

You may also want to buy a holder (the mobile connector is not designed to hang off the plug with no support) and cable organizer for it.
Cable Organizer
There are plenty of third party options on Amazon too:
https://www.amazon.com/tesla-charger-cable-holder/s?k=tesla+charger+cable+holder

Thanks!!
Assuming you will want your charger to be hanging down from the outlet,
you'll want to double-check that the ground (rounded hole) is oriented at the top.

Reactions: mazers
I'd like to see some pictures of how people are hanging their mobile connectors.
I use a 6-50 plug and the Tesla OEM wall connector.

Attachments

• 35E6D12E-5BE4-4E0F-8064-7FADED6AD8D4.jpeg
    35E6D12E-5BE4-4E0F-8064-7FADED6AD8D4.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 180
I wasn't aware of that and I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual. Do you have a reference?
I only read this in the forums and I guess this advice carried over from the Gen 1 version where it states in the manual:

"Plug the Mobile Connector’s into the power outlet. Do not hang the weight of the adapter on the wall plug. The adapter should be flush against the wall plug."

You are right the Gen 2 manual no longer mentions that, but the wall plug end cable is still similarly designed (still friction fit, although it no longer has those detachable adapters), having the weight hang from it can't be good for that connection. If it's going to be semi-permanent, might as well add a holder (or if you are on a budget, even two screws on the wall to support the weight will work).

If you are only occasionally going to have it plugged in, I guess the gen 2 version's wall plug is more robust, so perhaps that is why they removed that line.

I'm going to use the mobile charger full time at home, but some people mention to bring it on road trips. Wouldn't any station you'd use already have a connector, likely the J1772 if it's not a Supercharger station?

What would be the use case of using your mobile charger on a normal road trip?

Also note that 240V outlets are not designed for the plug to be plugged in and removed on a regular basis, so leave the Mobile Charger plugged in and only put it in the car for road trips. Just remember to take it when you go, although you likely won’t use it. 😉
This is especially correct if you have installed a cheap receptacle, like the $10 ones you get at home depot, which are also prone to fires due to heavy continuous charging load. But don't worry, most fires are limited to the receptacle and contained within the outlet box.

Hopefully you have installed an industrial quality outlet, like the Hubbell HBL9450A, which was on the Tesla recommendation list. Then you can plug and unplug as many times as you like.