Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got my car vinyl wrapped and the proximity sensors no longer engage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! I just got my car back today after getting it wrapped in a satin flip pearl ghost and the car no longer dings when I’m approaching thing and it doesn’t show the distance between me and the object in front or behind when in drive or reverse. Has anyone else had this issue with their Tesla after getting it wrapped?

Hi everyone! I just got my car back today after getting it wrapped in a satin flip pearl ghost and the car no longer dings when I’m approaching thing and it doesn’t show the distance between me and the object in front or behind when in drive or reverse. Has anyone else had this issue with their Tesla after getting it wrapped?
I don't have any issues with my wrapped car nor have I heard of anyone else having this issue. Did you ask the wrap shop if they have any idea what could be causing this?

If they removed the bumpers (plastic covers really) with the sensors and did they plug the harness back in when they put them back on? Some time they pull a lot of the car apart to get the wrap tucked into the seams. Also if they did disconnect the harness is there a reconfig process to get them recognized again? That I don't know.

Reactions: KenC
Well, this sort of worries me because i'm about to get mine wrapped in the same exact color next week. But, I had wrapped my previous model 3 in wrapped in matte silver metallic wrap and I did not experience any issues. I suspect it is due to install error. Please update us with any developments.

No. I've had my car wrapped since February and have had zero sensor issues.

If they removed your bumper to wrap around the edges then they probably didn't connect something back or messed the wiring up

It seems to depend. I had vinyl color changing wrap on the bumper plus PPF and the front sensors were basically "deaf". My installer cut out the PPF and just left the vinyl and now it works fine. I didn't have issues with rear bumper which only got vinyl, no paint protection film

Bit of an update, the installer did not take off the bumper so the sensors were not disconnected. The back proximity sensors work just fine with the wrap, for some reason it's the front ones that don't like to work. Will be taking it back to the installer soon to see if the sensors need a trim and tuck or if there are possibly air pockets in the way of the sensors. I gave it a quick look around and it doesn't seem like there are any pockets of air but I could be wrong.

Will update you all once I get this figured out!

Bit of an update, the installer did not take off the bumper so the sensors were not disconnected. The back proximity sensors work just fine with the wrap, for some reason it's the front ones that don't like to work. Will be taking it back to the installer soon to see if the sensors need a trim and tuck or if there are possibly air pockets in the way of the sensors. I gave it a quick look around and it doesn't seem like there are any pockets of air but I could be wrong.

Any updates? Mine sometimes works.

did you end up finding and fixing the issue?

did you end up finding and fixing the issue?
I'm not the OP, but when I researched for doing my PPF, the important part is to cut out the circles where the USS are. I believe even if you leave the vinyl circle on, as long as the shape is cut out (basically cut a circle shape where the sensor is, but the vinyl may not necessarily need to be removed), it should work again.

Reactions: coco135
I'm not the OP, but when I researched for doing my PPF, the important part is to cut out the circles where the USS are. I believe even if you leave the vinyl circle on, as long as the shape is cut out (basically cut a circle shape where the sensor is, but the vinyl may not necessarily need to be removed), it should work again.
I guess this is one of the PROS of having 0 sensors on the '23, lol

My wrapped 2022 Model X also started complaining about the sensors. However I just got into the service menu and it's actually showing that one of the sensors on the left in the front lost communication. Not sure what to make of it, and if it's really just that one sensor that's not connected somehow.

PXL_20230104_234044502.jpg

My wrapped 2022 Model X also started complaining about the sensors. However I just got into the service menu and it's actually showing that one of the sensors on the left in the front lost communication. Not sure what to make of it, and if it's really just that one sensor that's not connected somehow.

View attachment 892373
I am having this same issue, but after a headlight assembly replacement. Did you ever get a fix action?