Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got my X :) and first trip questions :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi people, just got my X and this is the first trip on it.

Got on my first supercharger and there is a Super loud, even a bit scary :) fan noise while superchargering, is it normal? it was 95F outside, but I did not hear any noise from other Teslas charging next to me. the AC was working fully prior supercharger for more than an hour and it was still not cold inside

also, halfway my trip the steering wheel started to vibrate (side to side) above 50mps and there is a sound like something stuck to my wheels. My guess is that wheels got unbalanced??

The soonest appointment I could get is the next week :(

tesla.jpeg

Loud fans can be perfectly normal during supercharging, especially on hot days and if the car stays at high rates (90+ kW) for an extended period. That's just the car cooling the pack down.

My first guess on the vibration would be you picked up a bolt - check the tire pressure monitors and look at each tire carefully. If you don't find anything, take it in for service. What you describe should never be the normal operation of a car, and if it isn't addressed, it'll likely turn into something worse.

I was thinking of lane departure also but it sounds like he was always getting it, and LDW isn’t only above 50... Definitely turn off LDW and test, though!

Fans are normal at Supercharging as you are putting a lot of power/heat into the battery.

I don't have my car yet, so I hope I'll follow my own advice, but here goes. I don't think anything you've mentioned is going to render your car inoperable. Just make it home, get that appointment next week and trust Tesla to make it right. From everything that I've heard from people here and in person, Tesla has amazing customer service. Just trust them to make it right. I'd just keep driving it like normal, based on what I've read about your issues so far. Good luck and try to enjoy the trip back.

loud fans are normal. it is super hot right now, and supercharging generates a lot of heat. if you didn't have those a/c fans running at max, your battery would literally melt.

vibration at a certain speed almost always sounds like a wheel balance issue.

it was 95F outside, but I did not hear any noise from other Teslas charging next to me.
Like others said, loud fan noise in perfectly normal. The other car might be already done charging, or was at the last stage of charging where the current is tapered down (hence no need for fans to run full blast) - so this might not be a good reference point to compare against. In other words, nothing to worry as far as the noise :)

Thanks guys, but it’s not lane departure warning since I disabled them. And it’s more left-right vibration, not a phone-like vibration. Still have a 130 miles to get home :(

Hope your experience is better than ours, but make sure the lug nuts are still on the car. Tesla forgot to install a lot of basic equipment in our car and I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot. On a more serious note does your internet browser work?

• Funny
Reactions: BigMskiman