Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to follow up on my 2017.42 AP2 review from above: I drove another 150 miles since that review. Everything I said before still applies, but I made a few more observations:

- Auto High Beam is greatly improved. Dare I say AP1-parity now. It sees cars from much farther away, and shuts off the lights pretty quickly after seeing a new car. Unfortunately it also behaves like AP1 in that arbitrary light sources like street lamps can shut off auto high beams too. It also lacks hysteresis and sometimes flicks on and off so quickly it can be misconstrued as signaling another driver.
- On curves, it seems to slightly favor the driver's side of the curve. I wonder if this is intentional to simulate human driver behavior or not. But on straight roads it seems unbiased, only in curves it is maybe 5% offset towards the driver's side, can be verified by comparing mirrors or even looking at the IC graphic.
- I'm not seeing any evidence of repeater camera based lane change behavior. Auto Lane Change does seem a bit more smooth compared to before, but it still only seems to be using ultrasonic sensors.
It is is using machine learning to replicate actual human behavior then it could result in hugging the driver's side lane.

Wanted to throw another data point in here...I've used AP1.0 for over a year, been using AP2.0 since March 2017, just got .42 two nights ago and with my limited testing thus far I have the same sentiments as most on here, HUGE improvement. My major gripes on LA freeways are tar/false lines confusing AP and lanes ending/confusing lines.... I haven't been able to test tar/false lines yet but I've done a couple tests on lane ending/confusing lines situations and was extremely pleased, I think even better handling than I remember AP1.0. Getting excited about the near future of AP.

Just installed on my AP1 car which was on .32 before. It all seems a little smoother, even on AP1. The car didn't bounce much between the lines before but now even less.

Got notification and Installed last night. To that point I was 11 updates behind. I have no idea why.
On the way to work this morning lane change under AP no longer works. Once again, I have no idea why. Any others with AP1 have a similar experience?

I can confirm, lane change works on this update in AP1

Reactions: MacGreiner
I didn't read all 18 pages of this thread (I need to sleep at some point), but I want to report a strange behavior since this update. Every time I shut down the car and come back my Slacker Radio station is off and it's playing FM Radio. I need to go into the music icon and start Slacker again. WTF? Why would they change shiit that didn't need changing?

I didn't read all 18 pages of this thread (I need to sleep at some point), but I want to report a strange behavior since this update. Every time I shut down the car and come back my Slacker Radio station is off and it's playing FM Radio. I need to go into the music icon and start Slacker again. WTF? Why would they change shiit that didn't need changing?
Eighty percent of the ghosts in the entertainment system rotate through every third update.

On-topic, I had five days with the update in my now-5000 km-distant car. The difference was noticeable. It still panics powering through a curved intersection at 45 mph, but overall it makes me hope for a better future!

Is that a preference tied to your fob?

40AD37B4-F98D-45B6-9736-01FB8437EC4F.jpeg
My MS75D AP2 got the .42 updated from .34 a week ago. The annoying Homelink issue got fixed.
After a couple of days of the same old erratic AP, all of a sudden it became so solid. When the sun is low, AP used to lose track of the lane markings and drive like a drunk. Now, no problem at all. It also recognized adjacent lanes and showed as the white lines next to the blue ones. Very neat.

View attachment 258082 My MS75D AP2 got the .42 updated from .34 a week ago. The annoying Homelink issue got fixed.
After a couple of days of the same old erratic AP, all of a sudden it became so solid. When the sun is low, AP used to lose track of the lane markings and drive like a drunk. Now, no problem at all. It also recognized adjacent lanes and showed as the white lines next to the blue ones. Very neat.
Can’t wait for it to see cars in those adjacent lanes like AP1! :)

Ever since I updated to .42, my TACC and EAP have been rendered unusable. After a maximum of 5 minutes, it randomly shuts down and I get a message stating "Cruise Control Disabled". I have to do a reboot of the car to get it back, only to have it disable again. I had to be on the phone with Tesla Service for 2 hours "trouble-shooting" before I finally got someone who said that it was a known issue with the early AP 2.0 cars (I am a 12/16 build) and they are pushing another update on Monday. Hope this helps others who have been as frustrated with this update as I have been.

Just finished a weeks worth of driving with the .42 and I must say it is looking more and more promising. There are a couple of negatives and they are:
  • Having issues with auto lane change going from left to right. Many times the road is clear but the car refuses to change lanes unless forced to do so. Have had a couple of stalled lane changes going the other way also but the left to right request is the one that requires take-over the most. This, I'm sure, can be frustrating to those behind me as they must be wondering when the car is going to move over.
  • Had a few warnings with no indications on the IC what they could be. Most of the time they appear to take place when there is a large concrete barrier/soundwall on my right and when I am in the middle of a typical freeway curve. Hasn't been a problem with previous releases.
  • Car remains centered for the most part but have had it drift into an adjacent lane when the lane is involved in a 'S' type lane curve. Doesn't matter what the speed is and how gradual the 'S' curves are. It takes the first curve fine but as it begins to curve the other way the car is late in sensing what is happening. Have had to take over as by the time the car realizes what is going on it has already started entering the other lane. This is at freeway speeds (55-65) in well marked travel lanes.
  • In stop and go traffic, car speeds up much quicker than before and brakes much harder. Caught me totally off guard when this first happened as the previous version (.34) had pretty much nailed the behavior I wanted.
All negatives aside, I love this release. Hopefully this will be a solid foundation for EAP to build off of.

Been working well for me, but today the car started hugging the left of the lane way more than before. I've only ever had .42 and I swear it is less centered than before. It was so close today that I turned it off for fear of hitting the median. The sensors were showing yellow and red, and the car image was showing it was way to the left, so it seems like the car was aware of what it was doing.

Homelink failed to actuate exiting my garage today, even though it said it was going to. Had to manually hit it.

It also likes to trigger the homelink at an intersection almost a kilometer from my house. This glitch has happened before but seems more frequent with this release.

Ever since I updated to .42, my TACC and EAP have been rendered unusable. After a maximum of 5 minutes, it randomly shuts down and I get a message stating "Cruise Control Disabled". I have to do a reboot of the car to get it back, only to have it disable again. I had to be on the phone with Tesla Service for 2 hours "trouble-shooting" before I finally got someone who said that it was a known issue with the early AP 2.0 cars (I am a 12/16 build) and they are pushing another update on Monday. Hope this helps others who have been as frustrated with this update as I have been.
Same with my 12/16 delivery. I'm headed 125 miles to the service center Monday, perhaps I should wait for that update?

Been working well for me, but today the car started hugging the left of the lane way more than before. I've only ever had .42 and I swear it is less centered than before. It was so close today that I turned it off for fear of hitting the median. The sensors were showing yellow and red, and the car image was showing it was way to the left, so it seems like the car was aware of what it was doing.

I have the same problem too, except the roads I have problems with have cones from contruction. I override AP and did not take a chance.

I think this might be the new design on purpose to fix the car from going out every freeway exit.

More time on .42, I've found it negotiates all but one of my favorite trouble spots very well. It handles the barriers on US 101 in Palo Alto (southbound) perfectly. Northbound, same construction area, I still jump in - it's confusing even for me, and I don't consider that a valid test.

The one area that is a real problem is on the southbound exit off 101 to San Antonio avenue. The exit takes a relatively sharp right curve, and right at that curve point is an arrow painted in the road. Apparently the car thinks that arrow is the right side lane line, so instead of taking the curve to the right, it dives left, attempting to go over the embankment. If allowed to continue, it gets to the very edge of the road then sounds the immediate takeover alarm (too late, if you aren't paying attention...).

I hope they are gathering data on that. I abort the AP every time, sometimes allowing it to go into the alarm state. But I do it every time on AP, in the hope that they are collecting data and this is useful for them. (For others that might try this, I reduce AP speed on the approach to exactly 45mph before entry to the turn, which is the posted warning speed. Be alert, try it at your own risk. It's pretty dicey.)

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing