Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got the 12v battery needs replacing warning after 5 months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, no record for you!! I picked mine up in December and had it back in February for this and the AC. They were confident that the battery was fine but the car was not happy with it so they put a new one in. Same with the AC, minor valve malfunction that they were confident was fixed but they put a whole new chiller unit in.

• Disagree
Reactions: RayW
I guess if you pay for a 12v battery after warranty expires, the new battery would have to have at least a 12 month warranty on it by Australian law?!

Actually if you buy the car on "environmental grounds" then you got to think way is happening with all those dead 12v batteries...

Was hoping a Tesla power ranger (!) would drive out and replace like they do in the USA .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: brewster
Nope, no record for you!! I picked mine up in December and had it back in February for this and the AC. They were confident that the battery was fine but the car was not happy with it so they put a new one in. Same with the AC, minor valve malfunction that they were confident was fixed but they put a whole new chiller unit in.

I believe the record may be second day of ownership and to top it off the car was 250kms from home.

Just got back from Tesla. They gave good service.

They said they checked the 12V battery and the logs say that it never went below 12.4V so they just disconnected it and then did a "Gateway reboot" and the error message went. So it was put down to a "software glitch". They said if it happens again one of the staff members that lives near me will come around and collect the car and leave me a loaner. So pretty good service. AND.... got they to change the wipers. They did not query it and said they'd change them straight away so maybe they know the factory ones are hopeless. They are Bosch but look slimmer profile to the originals. Hasn't rained yet but using the washer fluid they seem better. So if you get the warning in the middle of nowhere, maybe try and disconnect the battery and reconnect - not sure what the gateway reboot is though. I asked if the 12V batteries needed replacing often and they said "no".

Just got back from Tesla. They gave good service.

They said they checked the 12V battery and the logs say that it never went below 12.4V so they just disconnected it and then did a "Gateway reboot" and the error message went. So it was put down to a "software glitch". They said if it happens again one of the staff members that lives near me will come around and collect the car and leave me a loaner. So pretty good service. AND.... got they to change the wipers. They did not query it and said they'd change them straight away so maybe they know the factory ones are hopeless. They are Bosch but look slimmer profile to the originals. Hasn't rained yet but using the washer fluid they seem better. So if you get the warning in the middle of nowhere, maybe try and disconnect the battery and reconnect - not sure what the gateway reboot is though. I asked if the 12V batteries needed replacing often and they said "no".

This recent Aust and NZ thread highlights another 12V battery warning, on this occasion caused by motor invertor issues- 12 volt Battery failure at 70,000Kms