Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got the Long Range Plus update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exciting day today. Finally the car updated to the Long Range Plus configuration. My Model S was delivered on 12/21, has the -F battery. Noticed the change at a supercharger. My 90% is now a 348mi range on 21s.

Attachments

• EAE907F6-1328-402F-B14F-33CCEE4B2737.jpeg
    EAE907F6-1328-402F-B14F-33CCEE4B2737.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 140
Exciting day today. Finally the car updated to the Long Range Plus configuration. My Model S was delivered on 12/21, has the -F battery. Noticed the change at a supercharger. My 90% is now a 348mi range on 21s.
have you got new paperwork showing the Long Range Plus?......Monrony sheet......I have heard some got update and got the paperwork...just curious.....im looking to get it

I just purchased a 2020 LR model, but I don't think it will be possible to upgrade it to a LR+... I'm actually not sure what you are referring to about the -F battery? How can I tell if my car has this configuration? My car was manufactured in 12/2019 I believe. I'd love the added range, though...

Nope, I bought mine well before the announcement of the LR+. I think the requirement is the -F battery.
yea....I think you are right....purchased mine 22 Oct 19....I have "F" battery, so I got the "Plus" update and I did pay 75K for car and 4,999 for Plus.......so I got the Long Range Plus.....just need the paperwork to complete my file.....it will probably come later hopefully

I just purchased a 2020 LR model, but I don't think it will be possible to upgrade it to a LR+... I'm actually not sure what you are referring to about the -F battery? How can I tell if my car has this configuration? My car was manufactured in 12/2019 I believe. I'd love the added range, though...
You can check in the front right wheel well for the battery part number. If it ends in a -F you have the latest battery revision. If you took delivery December of last year (as I did) you should have a soon to be LR+ model S :)

• Funny
Reactions: John J
Mine was built February 3rd, battery pack is "F", but was told at delivery it couldn't be updated. Would love to know what, exactly, makes mine built months later unable to be a Plus model. Have accepted that (as required at delivery), but still irksome not knowing what it is or what real world difference this unknown component I'm missing makes.

Haven't done a road trip yet to know what average Wh/mi is at highway speeds, but in my regular stop and go driving on 45 MPH roads around here (if I can stay off that joyous acceleration), I do get ~24x Wh/mi which would be up in that 390+ mile range on the 97.6 kWh pack.

is this just a firmware update? if so, what version 2020.12?
where in the wheel well can i check for battery type e or f?
It's on a sticker almost directly behind the right front wheel, slightly offset toward the rear. You should be able to see it by just getting down to the ground and peering back there (probably with a flashlight). The sticker itself is sizeable and has both a QR code and barcode.

Mine was built February 3rd, battery pack is "F", but was told at delivery it couldn't be updated. Would love to know what, exactly, makes mine built months later unable to be a Plus model. Have accepted that (as required at delivery), but still irksome not knowing what it is or what real world difference this unknown component I'm missing makes.

Haven't done a road trip yet to know what average Wh/mi is at highway speeds, but in my regular stop and go driving on 45 MPH roads around here (if I can stay off that joyous acceleration), I do get ~24x Wh/mi which would be up in that 390+ mile range on the 97.6 kWh pack.
It seems that the sales staff doesn't know jack about what constitutes getting the updated range or not. They told r1200gs4ok that he would have to pay for some sort of hardware to make the change. Then randomly he received it as everyone seems to be. The earliest I have seen on here was a November build, but he hasn't replied yet if his battery is an E or an F. Mine is a November build and an E battery, I'm still like 2 updates behind so who knows. But if you have a February build I would bet you'll get it eventually, based on what others are seeing.

It seems that the sales staff doesn't know jack about what constitutes getting the updated range or not. They told r1200gs4ok that he would have to pay for some sort of hardware to make the change. Then randomly he received it as everyone seems to be. The earliest I have seen on here was a November build, but he hasn't replied yet if his battery is an E or an F. Mine is a November build and an E battery, I'm still like 2 updates behind so who knows. But if you have a February build I would bet you'll get it eventually, based on what others are seeing.
agreed.....It appears to me anything built between sept 2019 and present that gets a "F" battery will eventually get the update to 390.....I have lost all faith in service center people....they know mostly nothing about the car and are only there to deliver them ......as mentioned when I spoke to Tesla, I was told it was a firmware change and that I would have to pay for it......bullxxxx.....mine was built on 17 Jan 20...and I have gotten the 2020.12 update and within a 5 day period, I got the "silent" upgrade and app shows 391 miles at 100% charge...

also when looking at my paperwork, I purchased 22 Oct 2019.....paid $75 for car and $4999 for "long range"......if you look at the current price of a LR+, it is $79, so if you paid for LR+ before the end of the year, you should get the update.....LR+ I believe is standard today and reflected in the $79999 price

Adjusting my charging to 100% displays a range of 359 mi. I ordered the LR January 25th with it stating at the time of ordering that it was 373 mi of range. My projected range based on my driving is 333 mi at 83% charge. All of this leads me to conclude that worrying about the displayed range is more anxiety inducing than simply doing what others suggested and I have done from the start - display battery percentage. I wish the instrument cluster could just display projected range instead of playing these range games, but it is what it is. Seeing 359 mi of range on a brand new car that's supposed to at least have 373 is... dumb. (and it hasn't been abused in the slightest, driving or charging - it has <500 mi on it)

Last edited:
Adjusting my charging to 100% displays a range of 359 mi. I ordered the LR January 25th with it stating at the time of ordering that it was 373 mi of range. My projected range based on my driving is 333 mi at 83% charge. All of this leads me to conclude that worrying about the displayed range is more anxiety inducing than simply doing what others suggested and I have done from the start - display battery percentage. I wish the instrument cluster could just display projected range instead of playing these range games, but it is what it is. Seeing 359 mi of range on a brand new car that's supposed to at least have 373 is... dumb. (and it hasn't been abused in the slightest, driving or charging - it has <500 mi on it)

Could also try running down the battery and then charging to full. It “might” recalibrate. But after 3 years of ownership, I don’t worry about the initial full charge range. Driving style plays a huge role in actual range just like in my previous gas cars.

Could also try running down the battery and then charging to full. It “might” recalibrate. But after 3 years of ownership, I don’t worry about the initial full charge range. Driving style plays a huge role in actual range just like in my previous gas cars.
Agreed! I've been leaving it in percent display mode. But also not needing to drive much these days...