Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just got this alert, not sure what it means

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like you might have a faulty USB drive installed. Take out that USB drive and replace it with a new one (after formatting it of course). If that doesn't fix things, get it in touch with Tesla. Your car's USB socket or the wiring leading to it might be the problem.

Reactions: AquaY
I just started getting that same error after applying the latest update. I have two USB sticks (USB adapters for microSD cards) that I have used without issues for a long time. But now both are failing with the same error. And no, formatting them makes no difference as it does not even allow that...the button is greyed out. So now it seems that Tesla no longer supports them as I get that same error for both of them. I had to go out and buy new USB drives.

Yes both were formatted that way and working fine until the last software update a few days ago. Then both failed with the same error.
And if Tesla formats them like that why can it not do it via the Format button?

I also started experiencing this yesterday after updating to the latest software version. I am using a high performance SD card via a USB reader adapter and have had no issues with it for a couple years. It is strange because after reformatting on my Mac as MS-DOS (FAT), it still shows the "will not mount" error in the car, but when I look at the drive on my computer again, there are video files on it that I can view, so it seems to be writing to the drive just fine, only the car's OS doesn't think that it is.

I also started experiencing this yesterday after updating to the latest software version. I am using a high performance SD card via a USB reader adapter and have had no issues with it for a couple years. It is strange because after reformatting on my Mac as MS-DOS (FAT), it still shows the "will not mount" error in the car, but when I look at the drive on my computer again, there are video files on it that I can view, so it seems to be writing to the drive just fine, only the car's OS doesn't think that it is.
I tried exFAT as well and it's the same situation, there's the alert shown but the drive seems to be working fine apart from that.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
i took out my sd card to copy the video a few days ago. when i put it back in i'm also getting the same message. the same card worked for over a year with no issue. I also tried lots of things people suggested here, tried exFat,and ext4. I have spare sd card and im' getting the same exact message so i know it's not faulty card and besides that card works on PC. I'm using Sandisk Max Endurance 128GB. So anyone found a resolution for this issue?

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
I think there's something wrong with their USB drivers in latest updates. Since 2021.24.10 I've had major USB Device Malfunction errors with a USD drive that has been working for 3 years. I've tried 4 brand new drives all of which are on Tesla's recommended drive list. I've formatted them in the car and on PC and the best I can get is a drive that runs for a day or two. I've had unsuccessful service once and am going back next week.

I don't think my service center knows what the problem is. I hope that headquarters development team is aware of the issues. I've seen lots of recent posts about these issues.

I also got the same error a few days ago after updating. Tried reformatting etc... to no avail. I also have a microSD/reader combo, but have a previous regular USB that seems to work when I plug it in. Similar to above, everything functions fine, just gives the error. I tried the 2 scroll wheel reset, and that seemed to make the error go away. Not sure how long it will last, but that seems to work!

Hi all. I too have just had the dreaded UI_a134 error after the latest update - 2021.32.10
The "Alerts" notification stating that there is no USB file system. Then tells me to unplug the USB drive after I have already unplugged it. Had to do a "Full Vehicle Soft Reboot" (Scroll Wheels and Brake on). This was the only way I could get rid of the "Alerts" notification (Triangle next to Profile). No other way to remove this notification as far as I am aware.
Anyway, after the reboot the USB drive could be read again and was able to see all files and play them. By the sounds of it this is going to happen again. Would like some feedback on this if anyone knows how to fix.

Same here, I've had this error for a few days and I did just take a software update last week (running 2021.32.10 on a 2018 Model 3). When I pulled the drive out to check it on my laptop, I saw a bunch of recent clips from over the weekend, so I'm not sure what the error was complaining about. Unfortunately, I formatted the drive from my laptop, hoping to correct the error, but now I'm guessing it won't work at all ...

I'm having the same problem. "USB drive has no filesystem. Drive will not mount and should be unplugged". I've tried multiple readers and multiple Tesla approved SD cards. Oddly, if I plug in a 32GB Sandisk SD card, I don't get this error, although I do get a warning that the drive is too small. But it still seems to be working.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone here, as I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

i took out my sd card to copy the video a few days ago. when i put it back in i'm also getting the same message. the same card worked for over a year with no issue. I also tried lots of things people suggested here, tried exFat,and ext4. I have spare sd card and im' getting the same exact message so i know it's not faulty card and besides that card works on PC. I'm using Sandisk Max Endurance 128GB. So anyone found a resolution for this issue?

Brought a new sd card and same error. Decided to plug in my normal usb stick that the worked, but this is an older stick so the car complained about slow writes and that not all clips were written. Definitely something in the latest update, just hope they address it quickly. Feel naked driving the card without it.

was this soft [reboot] press brake and both steering steering wheel scroll buttons
The "hold the brake while rebooting" doesn't do anything more than the regular double-thumbwheel reboot ("Restarting the Touchscreen").

So, there are three levels of "rebooting". The first two are in the NA Tesla Model 3 Manual.
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen (Page 48) - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle (Page 49) - See manual for details - involves sitting in the car for a couple of minutes. I guess this one could be called a "medium rest."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.

• Love
Reactions: FalconFour