Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just got this alert, not sure what it means

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "hold the brake while rebooting" doesn't do anything more than the regular double-thumbwheel reboot ("Restarting the Touchscreen").

So, there are three levels of "rebooting". The first two are in the NA Tesla Model 3 Manual.
  1. Restarting the Touchscreen (Page 48) - Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black. Despite what the manual says, can be done while driving. This is commonly referred to as a soft reset.
  2. Power Cycling the Vehicle (Page 49) - See manual for details - involves sitting in the car for a couple of minutes. I guess this one could be called a "medium rest."
  3. Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset - as described on the Mountain Pass Performance web site. Not for everyone.
Is there any official information that shows there's a difference between 1 and 2?

Is there any official information that shows there's a difference between 1 and 2?
Well, considering they are two separate things listed in the official owners manual from Tesla lends me to believe that there is a difference. Personally, I have had something a while back that was corrected by doing a Power Cycle that wasn't corrected after multiple Touchscreen Restarts* though it was a while ago and I do not recall what it was.

*I almost said that I did #2 when #1 didn't work, but that might have have been interpreted completely differently.

I had the same issue since the update a few days ago (USB drive error shown but drive still working). Just did a two button reset and it seemed to fix everything. I’ll post of the error reoccurs.

UPDATE: error is back. I will just live with it.

Last edited:
I just had mobile service out for a different issue, and I asked the tech about this. He looked into it and said it was very likely a firmware problem, and that the error code being thrown isn't even a code that is supposed to be in use anymore. He expected a future firmware push to remove the issue.

I've been having this problem, though for me it started before this latest update to 2021.24.11. I've tried a number of known working drives including 2 Tesla USB drives. They all end up getting the USB error. Soft reset seems to make it disappear for awhile but it always comes back. I was also told by mobile service in WI that it was a known firmware issue now.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
I've been having this problem, though for me it started before this latest update to 2021.24.11. I've tried a number of known working drives including 2 Tesla USB drives. They all end up getting the USB error. Soft reset seems to make it disappear for awhile but it always comes back. I was also told by mobile service in WI that it was a known firmware issue now.
thabks , you just saved me from purchasing a tesla usb drive

I just started getting that same error after applying the latest update. I have two USB sticks (USB adapters for microSD cards) that I have used without issues for a long time. But now both are failing with the same error. And no, formatting them makes no difference as it does not even allow that...the button is greyed out. So now it seems that Tesla no longer supports them as I get that same error for both of them. I had to go out and buy new USB drives.
I called road service regarding this and they are coming out on Thursday as I don't see an update addressing this issue. I'll let you know what they tell me.

Error seems to be erroneous for me. Got it after the latest software push (2021.3.105 -> 2021.32.21), but sentry still records, still able to view videos etc (using sandisk sd card + reader adapter).
I'll give the reboot a try and hope that the error goes away, as it's a bit annoying to see.

had the same issue using a sandisk sd max card + anker reader. got a sandisk reader and the issue went away.
Ohh, interesting. I've got the same Anker setup and still getting the error (tried a soft reboot of the car).
Confirmed sentry is still recording successfully, so might hold out before replacing the reader.. but might also see if any others are laying around the house

Ohh, interesting. I've got the same Anker setup and still getting the error (tried a soft reboot of the car).
Confirmed sentry is still recording successfully, so might hold out before replacing the reader.. but might also see if any others are laying around the house
I also have the same sandisk sd max card + anker reader combination here with same error (but still functioning)!

Just updated my 2021 M3 today and started to receive the same error message. I have the Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb Micro SD card with the Anker reader combo. Everything works perfectly fine though, both sentry and dashcam still recording as usual. So it seems to be a bug as I never had this error message before the new update. I’ll just ignore it until they fix it with a new update.

Same setup here using the Anker USB 3.0 multi reader with a Samsung 512GB SD card split into two partitions for music and dashcam, and I get the UI_a134 error, although it actually works. I will try some other readers to see if it helps.

Same setup here using the Anker USB 3.0 multi reader with a Samsung 512GB SD card split into two partitions for music and dashcam, and I get the UI_a134 error, although it actually works. I will try some other readers to see if it helps.
Where do you see the "UI_a134" part?
All I can see is "USB Device Malfunction"