Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just got this alert, not sure what it means

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
appreiate all the answers..would of figured with an update or two the alert would go away
UI_a134
just got this alert model 3 2020
usb drive has no filesystem
drive will not mount and should be unplugged

but it has not....

mind you ,,the usb drive is working, capturing video etc....but annoying alert comes up, even though its working
not sure what to do
Do you have a two port card reader? If so, try to put a card in both slots or swap which slot you are using.

As discussed below
MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

Reactions: jroydog
Still having the UI_a134 issue of not recognizing my USB device (or my husband's) so with no real update 2 months later I just did a mobile service request. Said I understand it's a Tesla recognized firmware issue and that I really don't need a service appt unless there is an issue beyond a needed firmware update but that I would like an update status on when we might expect one. Will let you know what kind of response I get back.

I really consider a working TeslaCam essential to my car now and it's frustrating that it has worked fine all these years until an update broke it.

Reactions: Electrph
Still having the UI_a134 issue of not recognizing my USB device (or my husband's) so with no real update 2 months later I just did a mobile service request. Said I understand it's a Tesla recognized firmware issue and that I really don't need a service appt unless there is an issue beyond a needed firmware update but that I would like an update status on when we might expect one. Will let you know what kind of response I get back.

I really consider a working TeslaCam essential to my car now and it's frustrating that it has worked fine all these years until an update broke it.
A number of folks on this forum myself included have had this issue resolved by having Tesla replace the MCU. (After spending months trying new USB drives and replacing USB hubs)

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
Really, that's amazing.. somehow I missed the posts regarding a new MCU.. is this now an accepted remedy for this from Tesla service?
Not sure what you mean by "accepted remedy" They don't have a service bulletin promoting a new MCU but I believe that the more savvy service centers are realizing that when other solutions fail (new USB drives, new USB hub), a new MCU will fix the issue.

It's always worked before that update of doom. I just have the same fat32 or whatever and only use it for sentry mode and nothing else.
Would help to mention what version you are talking about, what device you are using, and what year/model your vehicle is. Mine started showing the UI_a134 error after updating 2021.24.11 to 2021.36.5.1. This seems to have to do with my dual slot card reader. Swapping to using the microSD slot (which appears to be read first) instead of the SD slot appears to fix the problem (I haven't had error show up since).
MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

I have a 2021 Model 3 SR+ using a Ugreen card reader and Samsung Evo Select 128GB microSD card. I kept the card as exFAT as it came, just copied over the TeslaCam folder from the USB stick Tesla provided.

I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ on Version 2021.44.6. I'm using a 128 GB Lexar Professional SD card in a Kingston USB SD Card Reader with 2 slots (1 for Micro SD and other for SD). I've been on this setup since I originally set it up. It's been running amazing, I caught someone do a hit and run on my car and the sentry mode caught their licence plate.

This error has been coming and I've been ignoring it because the sentry mode works. However, today I decided to format my drive and see if this issue is fixed and after format I realized this is still happening. I see here in the forum others have had this issue.

I don't have a Micro SD card so I'll wait until I try it with that. For now gonna just plug in the USB and pray that it continues to work.

For those who had their MCU replaced, what do you mean by the MCU? Main Counsel Unit? Or what exactly is this.

Thanks

I have an appt to bring my car in for service on the 29th on this UI-a134 Alert with the USB drive issue. May cancel/postpone as I have a SanDisk USB-A microSD card reader on order through Amazon but won’t be delivered until 12/28 (if not delayed) and kind of want to try it out first In the event a single writing/reading source makes a difference.

My current card reader is a UGreen SD/MicroSD dual reader with Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card (made for dashcam use) which has worked flawlessly, like my husband’s in his MS, until we both had a software update around the same time and both noticed the Alert from that point on. Kind of hard reading the timing of updates and people experiencing this issue to think it’s not related to a software update change in code. Also don’t really want to see Tesla go through the expense of an MCU update if not necessary or tie up the service center when someone else with more pressing issues needs an appointment.

Like others here we have both reformatted our drives to no avail. Been using TeslaCam and this device since it became a thing on my 2018 Model 3. We live a bit from the service center and kind of hate to keep an appointment there if a single card reader would resolve my issue.

I purchased FSD and had the hardware updated on the car to HW3 a while back so kind of doubt it’s related to any hardware from that time because that was so long ago and I’m only recently getting this error. My husband’s MS has had it’s MCU updated.

...I purchased FSD and had the hardware updated on the car to HW3 a while back so kind of doubt it’s related to any hardware from that time because that was so long ago and I’m only recently getting this error. My husband’s MS has had it’s MCU updated.
I also had hardware updated to HW3 a while back and that was the hardware that needed to be replaced to fix the USB problem. It would be nice for you if your problem is just a bad USB drive so cross your fingers.

As mentioned above in thread, we had been using a UGreen dual card reader forever which broke on both our Teslas after a software update.

Today I cancelled tomorrow’s service visit. The SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 Reader (backwards compatible with USB 2.0) that I ordered off Amazon for use with my microSD card arrived today and I used it tonight with success. So far so good! Tried it in both my Model 3 and husband’s MS with no UI_a134 alert being generated. Cost on Amazon $12.99, ordered one for the MS. Will post again in next few days if we encounter any issues.

Reactions: Electrph
As mentioned above in thread, we had been using a UGreen dual card reader forever which broke on both our Teslas after a software update.

Today I cancelled tomorrow’s service visit. The SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 Reader (backwards compatible with USB 2.0) that I ordered off Amazon for use with my microSD card arrived today and I used it tonight with success. So far so good! Tried it in both my Model 3 and husband’s MS with no UI_a134 alert being generated. Cost on Amazon $12.99, ordered one for the MS. Will post again in next few days if we encounter any issues.
Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Reader-Memory-Windows-Simultaneously/dp/B01EFPX9XA

I'm using this one in my 2021 Model 3 and the error went away as soon as I switched to using the microSD slot instead of the SD one.

Is this the one?
Amazon.com

I'm using this one in my 2021 Model 3 and the error went away as soon as I switched to using the microSD slot instead of the SD one.

No, this is the one we were using for like ever that worked flawlessly with our microSD cards. Amazon.com . I really like it as it has both USB-A and USB-C connectors so works with my MacBook Pro (USB-C) and until recently our USB-A connectors in our cars. Nice and portable with end caps and lanyard and liked the dual slots although we almost never use a SD card any more. I'm hoping Tesla will "fix" whatever got broken that has made this reader generate the alert.

Despite the Alert our reader/microSD was recording video and the files were there (well Saved and Sentry) but for some reason the 1-hr buffer file folder was empty and not sure if it got deleted by us or the car for some reason couldn't see that folder. Wondering if that was what the car couldn't see a file system for? Anyone check their video files to see what's been recording on your storage device?

FWIW we have never used an SD card in our card reader. The Samsung Endurance Pro 128GB card has been in use in my Model 3 and my husband's car and it is designed for repeated read/write dashcam use. No problem there either. Very reliable. For whatever reason the single slot SanDisk microSD card reader just works for us when plugged in with no Alerts thrown (fingers crossed). Here's the link to it on Amazon for reference: Amazon.com .

We didn’t have a chance to drive with the new cardreader in use but will do so tomorrow. Since we didn’t see the file system related alert we think all the TeslaCam folders will be written to. Will report back

Last edited:
OK drove around a bit today and pulled the USB reader out to check what got recorded to the microSD card. It recorded to the RecentClips folder and to the SentryClips folder. Had not "saved" anything yet so no SavedClips folder had been created but did see it on the card prior to reformatting yesterday. So the car is recognizing the microSD card now in this SanDisk card reader (SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader - SDDR-B531-GN6NN Black).

My husband (car - MS) got the same SanDisk cardreader from Amazon last night and put it in his car with no Alerts being given. So we seem to be good to go now with no need to schedule a service appointment for the USB alerts.

Reactions: shaundidrake
OK drove around a bit today and pulled the USB reader out to check what got recorded to the microSD card. It recorded to the RecentClips folder and to the SentryClips folder. Had not "saved" anything yet so no SavedClips folder had been created but did see it on the card prior to reformatting yesterday. So the car is recognizing the microSD card now in this SanDisk card reader (SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader - SDDR-B531-GN6NN Black).

My husband (car - MS) got the same SanDisk cardreader from Amazon last night and put it in his car with no Alerts being given. So we seem to be good to go now with no need to schedule a service appointment for the USB alerts.
Good to know. I've put that card reader into my Amazon cart waiting for your test. Thanks...I just might pull the trigger on that one now.

If you are using a dual or multi-slot SD card reader, then the empty slot will trigger the warning. Switch to a Sandisk single slot micro sd card reader if you want to avoid the alert.
In my U-green dual slot I have a empty SD to microSD adapter in the other slot and it seems it doesn't throw the error. But I haven't tried taking out the adapter to see if anything changes. With the microSD slot empty however, it did throw the error. V11 supposedly suppresses such errors (still there if you look but there is no alert), so the point may be moot however if all you want is to avoid the error.

• Helpful